PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Definition of Precision Approach?

Broken Wings
3rd Nov 2001, 20:50
I've searched on the net and I cannot find the ICAO definition of a precision approach in my Air Law notes. The question appears twice in different feedback papers and they both have a different answer!

Can any one help please? :confused:

Megaton
3rd Nov 2001, 20:56
BW,

If you post the answers I should be able to tell you which one is correct. I recently sat the Air Law paper and came across the same problem. We looked up the original ICAO documents to find the answer. If I remember correctly one of the questions was actually worded incorrectly hence the confusion.

Broken Wings
3rd Nov 2001, 21:09
HP - 6 mins to reply = the record for a reply to one of my posts cheers ......

"The ICAO definition of a precision approach is a direct instrument approach:

a. conducted by a crew consisting of at least 2 pilots, who are properly trained.

b. which uses azimuth, elevation and distance information provided that the pilot uses a flight director or an autopilot which is certified to a height of 200 ft.

c. which uses azimuth and elevation information.

d. which uses azimuth, elevation and height information."

Regards
BW

Megaton
3rd Nov 2001, 21:18
Pretty sure the answer is c. Height information can be derived but in a precision approach, ie ILS, you only have direct indication of azimuth and elevation guidance.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
3rd Nov 2001, 21:23
c. (But I'm only an air traffiker!)

Megaton
3rd Nov 2001, 21:41
I seem to recall there was one feedback question which had the only suitable answer as az, el and height which, according to the ICAO Annex, is incorrect but it was the best answer available. You have to read the options that they give and choose the best one.

U R NumberOne
4th Nov 2001, 00:29
Dunno if this helps, but as I understand it there are only three types of approach defined as precision - ILS, MLS and PAR. All offer guidance in azimuth and elevation.

Capt Wannabe
4th Nov 2001, 03:29
Yep, answer is definately c. Haven't got the reference to hand, but I think it is defined in docs 4444/8168 and a few other places.

Broken Wings
4th Nov 2001, 13:15
Guys

Thanks for the help I too put "C" down but it was wrong in one paper and right in the other! The only thing I can see if "uses height information" appears is the Final Approach Fix will have a height check. But then again a PAR doesn't have a FAF..

I'll be glad when the theory is over and I can get back in the air! Thanks again. :)

Megaton
4th Nov 2001, 17:29
Brokenwings,

You wouldn't be using Bristol's feedback then, would you? When I did the consolidation course a few months ago we had the same problem so we got the books out. Unfortunately, the ICAO web pages do not allow you to view the relevant annexes unless you subscribe. :mad: