PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie in HK who wants info on how to get PPL to fly

mikechan883
30th Mar 2011, 14:40
Hi All,

I live in HK and have been thinking to learn flying for leisure for quite a long time. I still cannot make up my mind. Just come across this site today. Can you offer some expert opinon to help?
1) I heard that there are 2 major ways, one is to join HKAC in HK and the other is to study ground course in HK and learn the actual flying in US or Austrialia. what's the difference in PPL license for these cases?
2) what is the one-time and recurring cost to fly in each case?
3) any minimum requirement on regular flying hours after obtaining the license?
4) Can I learn to fly a helicopter before learning to fly a fixed wing?

thanks a lot!!!

A newbie who desire to fly...

Whirlygig
30th Mar 2011, 15:01
4) Can I learn to fly a helicopter before learning to fly a fixed wing?Of course you can, and I bet if you learn rotary first you won't even bother with fixed wing!

Cheers

Whirls

Dan Winterland
30th Mar 2011, 15:15
I suggest you post this on the Fragrant Harbour forum. You will get better replies there.

XLC
31st Mar 2011, 00:20
There are several ways, it all depends on your time frame, target and budget. You can learn here in Hong Kong, the Philippines, Malaysia and Thailand.
Several HK based people obtained their first PPL licence in Thailand or Philippines, but this does not allow you to fly in HK. Mind you, it is not easier than anywhere else and it takes actually more time because of local requirements and travel. But it is great fun.
The Hong Kong Aviation Club is good, but the local restrictions, availability and costs were an issue for me; besides as I fly in Europe as well it was more logical to get first a JAR PPL(A) [training and exams last year at EFT in Florida]. Shortly after that I went through the exams+admin to get a Thai PPL [with Nok Aviation] as I prefer cross-country flights which is kind of difficult here in Hong Kong. PM me if you want to have more information.

Runway101
31st Mar 2011, 06:36
1) I heard that there are 2 major ways, one is to join HKAC in HK and the other is to study ground course in HK and learn the actual flying in US or Austrialia. what's the difference in PPL license for these cases?

HK license is not a full license (cross country part missing) and not valid anywhere else in the world. In my opinion, HKAC is not a professional place to learn, you'll pick up bad habits and spend your time around old farts who like to brag about what great pilots they are.

If you go for the overseas route (which I highly recommend), I wouldn't bother with the HKAC ground course. It's a waste of time. You can buy FAA PPL books and even DVD's, I don't see why you need them at all given that you won't learn anything (and I can guarantee you that).

HK is much more expensive (joining fee and flight hour) and flying very limited due to the lack of space. For HK piston prices you fly turbines overseas.

2) what is the one-time and recurring cost to fly in each case?

Depends which country. Check PPL prices with a few flight schools and you will know. It also depends how many hours you will need until you can pass the check ride.

A couple of hours every year to stay current. Also medical certificate every few years.

3) any minimum requirement on regular flying hours after obtaining the license?

Depends on license, see above. With FAA (US) license it's a biannual flight review (less than 1 hour every 2 years). The license doesn't expire, so if you don't fly for 10 years you can get a new medical and a biannual and go flying again (not that this would be advisable, you'd go with an experienced instructor after such a long time).

4) Can I learn to fly a helicopter before learning to fly a fixed wing?

Sure, why not. Helicopter is much more expensive than fixed wing though.

If you go the US route, you need to complete your PPL(H) training (h = helicopter) and get the pilots license. Then you can add a few hours in an airplane and go for the PPL(A) checkride (10 hours I believe). You don't have to repeat ground school etc.

If your aim is to fly IN Hong Kong, then you can show up with your US license (and all the PROFESSIONAL knowledge you just picked up overeas) at the HKAC and get it localized into a HK license. You may not even have to do any official conversion. If you want an official license, you'll have to go to the HKCAD for a couple of exams and a checkride in the type you want to fly.

Hope that helps.

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Mar 2011, 21:18
The Hong Kong Aviation Club is good
Not however useful for visitors - I'm in HK next week, and what I usually do when visiting foreign parts is find a local flying school/club and rent an aircraft and an instructor and go for a joyride. HKAC said "no" ... although without actually using the word "no", so I had to read their email three times to work out that that's what they were saying!

mur007
31st Mar 2011, 21:52
I too contacted them recently when I was visiting HK with a view to a short flight with an instructor. I cannot remember the exact details but somewhere in there was a requirement to join the club and pay a deposit of somewhere like £3k. There is also the fact that GA is only allowed on Saturdays and Sundays.

subsonicsubic
4th Apr 2011, 07:30
I did my PPL in the Philippines years ago and don't regret it at all. Great weather, capable instructors and beautiful scenery.

Why anyone would waste money flying around HK is a mystery.

PM me for further details if you require.

Best,

SSS

Runway101
7th Apr 2011, 13:29
Not however useful for visitors

HKCAD only allows members of the club to fly, and only HK residents if I am not wrong. If you are a resident, you can take a 'trial flight', which makes you a member for a few hours. As visitor, I don't know. I guess they would be breaking or bending the rules if they allow trial flights for visitors.

There is also the fact that GA is only allowed on Saturdays and Sundays.

Helicopters fly all week long. For airplanes this could indeed be true, but probably because they are not allowed to use the Shek Kong Airfield during the week. Shek Kong Airfield belongs to the Chinese PLA (People's Liberation Army), and that's where the club's fixed wing aircraft operate out of. Chek Lap Kok (HK International Airport) is not open for GA under normal circumstances.

mikechan883
11th Apr 2011, 07:03
:ok:
thanks all for your great opinion.
Understand that it will be better off getting training and PPL license oversea (e.g. US/Australia). Right? then it would not worth to take the trial introductory flight in HKAC
I come across a company called JetOne which offer ground school in HK and arrange training and exam in LA. Maybe I will think about it (but the $ and time committment is big)

By the way, what is "GA" anyway?

generalspecific
11th Apr 2011, 08:07
I think Mr 101 may be misleading you a bit. A HK licence is an ICAO licence, however because HK is too small to get the minimum legs in for a valid OCAO cross country and new HK licence will be cross country restricted. Its not that hard to then go to OZ or somewhere to log a qualifying x country and have the restriction lifted.

Fixed wing is only at weekends and occasionally on other days. Heli's all week.

Also I think the comment on instruction is a bit chippy. I have numerous licences including professional ones and have experienced some very good instructors in HK.

Runway101
16th Apr 2011, 11:57
Its not that hard to then go to OZ or somewhere to log a qualifying x country and have the restriction lifted

I am not so sure about that. Do you have first hand experience with this process?

My understanding is that you cannot just show up with a restricted HK PPL in a foreign country and simply go on a solo cross country flight and have your restriction lifted. In FAA land, you'd need a valid medical, a student pilots license, a couple of endorsements, and some flight instructor to sign you off (which usually means you first have to demonstrate that you know what you are doing). And TSA clearance and a proper VISA that allows flight instructions (visitor visa is a no-go). And then you still need to convince the HKCAD to remove your restriction based on that. You need a great portion of luck (for the HKCAD), patience I guess, and a fair amount of money.

Runway101
17th Apr 2011, 00:54
Mike, GA stands for General Aviation. It's all the private flyers and smaller (unscheduled) commercial operators (ie. in HK GA means HKAC and Heliservices near Shek Kong). Everything else is military, government or on schedule.

I come across a company called JetOne which offer ground school in HK and arrange training and exam in LA.

The instructor of that course is the vice president of the HKAC. They've never done it before if I am not wrong. No point in taking that course if you can get the DVDs and books from Amazon or asa2fly.com IMHO... and sooner or later you will have to go to the USA anyway. Ground school is the least of your problems normally. Just check online with many of the student pilot forums and sites what books are recommended and start learning. A PPL is a license to learn anyway.

But again, it all depends WHERE you want to fly. If your aim is to fly in HK only and you have a lot of spare cash and you don't care about anything else, then the HKAC might be a winner for you.