PDA

View Full Version : Where to live near Stansted

Scandinavian
25th Oct 2000, 10:05
I am starting as captain B737 out of STN begining of JAN 2001.
Where will be the best place to look for a flat/house ?
I need all the help I can get - thanks in advance.

ANOpax
25th Oct 2000, 12:57
Are you buying or renting? Bishops Stortford is the largest nearby town but the good rail connection to London means higher property prices (if you're buying). If you're renting, Stortford'll have the widest selection of properties available. Some of the surrounding villages are charming. Depends on what you're after. Try www.mullucks.co.uk (http://www.mullucks.co.uk)

good luck!

leftwingdownabit
25th Oct 2000, 15:26
You cn try Dunmow, or Saffron Walden as other alternatives to Stortford if you fancy a smaller market town in the area. Or theres Harlow to the south - not recommended! Plenty of villages to choose, depends whether your budget runs to it. 3-bed semi in Walden is at least 120k if not more.

Buzzoff
25th Oct 2000, 15:51
Lots of our people live in the villages surrounding Cambridge - prices are more reasonable, the M11 providing the quick access to STN. I live in a charming little village near the dreaded Harlow (the place that God would stick the tube if He were going to give the world an enema) but, despite that, it's actually really quiet and rural. Some of the Essex villages are really delightful, try looking around Arkesden, Newport. Agree about Saffron Walden - lovely town.

cowboy
26th Oct 2000, 20:31
I've lived in bishops stortford for just over 2 years now - don't do it!! Unless you need the train link to London, it's not really got much going for it. Try the surrounding villages, particularly Hatfield Heath.

Best Western
27th Oct 2000, 17:46
Dunmow is a great town, but very quiet.

About 15 mins from the airport, and no traffic lights.

Rent for a one bedroomed apartment is approx £375.

I had a good 15 months there

Try Taylor Associates on 01279 771 675.