PDA

View Full Version : Realistic options of flying Microlight aircraft.

Emanuel Jarez
30th Mar 2011, 13:03
Good Afternoon.

Firstly, it is of great pleasure to have found such a great forum specifically within my area of interest and that I can pro-actively liaise with experts within the private flying sector of aviation. It would of been rude if I didn't introduce myself before posting a question, so now is the perfect time to say 'hello' first.

My name is Em (for short) and I have had great pleasure of occupying the right seat of an AX3 microlight from a small field near Essex. It was from this moment that I have been fascinated with the thrill of flight overlooking the great views of the great British countryside.

What made microlights attractive to me were many reasons, the low costs of hiring the aircraft compared to other heavier aircraft in a different type category was the first. Secondly, it appears that ownership or a share of a microlight is certainly more realistic and affordable. More so, the NPPL (M) is a pretty attractive license for me because of the fact that I will be able to obtain a licence within 30 hours if I complete the course in a structured time frame (weather permitting of course).

The main and whole reason that I admire microlights is because I found the aircraft very fun to fly around in, and almost like a 'GoKart' in the air. The thrill of flying is an experience that I will not take for granted.

Would anyone be able to advise me on the typical costs of microlight ownership annually as compared to renting out a microlight.

It appears that I could purchase a share of an AX3 for cost and fly for around £40-£50 per hour. I would have to take into account the monthly fees for hangarage and maintenance e.t.c which could cost anything around £50 per month upwards. Are my costs realistic? If so I would say that the actual cost of flying is relatively cheap compared to other aircraft.

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Em.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Mar 2011, 14:20
I have three shares:

- Thruster TST, similar in performance to, and same engine as, the AX3, works out at an average of about £40/hr

- Modern 4-seat light aeroplane, works out at an average of about £105/hr

- Vintage 4-seat taildragger, works out at an average of about £105/hr.

I'd say that these are all the low end of typical. A higher performance microlight will cost more, and if you fly more, any share gets cheaper per hour. In that context, £40-£50/hr for an AX3 is about right.

As an aeroplane, personally I quite like it - it's easy to fly, comfortableish, with enough performance to have fun. You won't get far fast, but that's not what it's for. If the seat frame didn't stick into my shoulder blades, it would be nearly perfect.

I would recommend starting in a group, whatever you're planning to own - you'll learn much, share the grief of looking after it, and all the fixed running costs - in practice you tend to get more flying for less money and less aggro.

That said, I've owned a microlight outright (I still do, although I'm not flying it right now) and it's not overly painful. Reckon on £30-£120pm hangarage or tie-down, around £200pa for 3rd party insurance or about 8% of hull value per year for fully comp, about £400pa other running costs, plus fuel and oil.

G

magpienja
31st Mar 2011, 18:03
Dont forget there is a dedicated BMAA microlight forum to keep abreast of things.

Nick.

BMAA Forum (http://forums.bmaa.org/)

Emanuel Jarez
1st Apr 2011, 10:53
Good Morning.

Thank you for the link to the BMAA and the examples of the shares. I feel that It would be of great benefit to start saving for a share in a microlight and perhaps commit to training on the actual microlight itself. I believe by part-owning a microlight I may benefit from reduced training rates and gain more hours training for less cost. This is definitely something to consider.

If ownership of a share is not an option at this time, I feel that this will be possible in the near future as I will be in a better financial position.

It all comes down to money. I am debt free and do not intend to borrow to fly.

So I will be patient and hopefully very soon I will gain something of excellent significance out of this.

Kind Regards.

Em J.