PDA

View Full Version : UK Reporting Points - Come on Down!!

EGCC Rwy 24
25th Oct 2000, 00:59
A long time interest of mine - how did they get their names etc. Knowledge of this part of history continues to become even more vague than it is already, as people retire and leave the profession.

I have "created" a small piece of the web where we can try to pull together some form of history.

Please give it a try. (http://www.nicklocke.co.uk/Points/index.asp)

The site has a feedback facility so that you can add to the scant information which is there already.

I shall be regularly incorporating amendments as they are received. You never know we may even get enough for a book!

[This message has been edited by EGCC Rwy 24 (edited 24 October 2000).]

EGCC Rwy 24
25th Oct 2000, 23:48
Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, including the anonymous ones that I have not been able to e/mail personally.

There must still be more knowledge out there though ---- keep it coming!

Thanks in advance.

MISAP
28th Oct 2000, 21:23
I met a girl in Sweden once...aaaa bliss... she knew the people naming the RP's in Sweden at the CAA.
One was the name of her horse, another her dog etc. no wonder some of the names are strange!

Captain Airclues
28th Oct 2000, 22:10
How long before there is a 'PRUNE' reporting point. Surely 10W can arrange this?

Airclues

10W
31st Oct 2000, 00:49
AC,

I've got it on my list of candidates for the next waypoint I need to establish ;)

After all, I've got 7 named after me already so I'd better share them around !!

PS It would probably have to be PROON to get away from pronunciation difficulties with non native English speakers.

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

EGCC Rwy 24
31st Oct 2000, 01:41
Thanks to all for the information supplied so far. The response has been so overwhelming that I am still trying to catch up! Keep it coming though.

We are now at the point where some constructive criticism would be good - there are some conflicting thoughts in there now.

Thanks again, and yes I think PROON is a great idea.

spud's on the job
31st Oct 2000, 15:56
check out Portland Jetport USA (PWM??) a few years ago the reporting points were:
ITAWT
ITAWA
PUDEY
TTATT
IDEED

(clue: think tweety pie) -
hope its still the same - EXCELLENT!!!

redsnail
31st Oct 2000, 17:00
10W, how many variants are there on "10W"?
tnwst, 10wst.....ummm?? :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

InFinRetirement
31st Oct 2000, 17:29
Now you were bound to get that one 10W! Just wonder what took her so long! :)

10W
31st Oct 2000, 18:18
Too true IFR !!

Well the 7 variants I am intimate with, and that's waypoints I mean, ;) are:

55N 10W
56N 10W
57N 10W
58N 10W
59N 10W
60N 10W
61N 10W

Perhaps we could rename them to ICAO 5 letter standards ??

EYFAR (IFR)
PROON (PPRuNe)
DANNY (Danny Fyne)
REDDO (Redsnail)
HAMRA (Hamrah)
ARCLU (Capt Airclues)
MARGE (Marge - Agony Aunt)

Any more offerings ?? :)

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

redsnail
1st Nov 2000, 03:17
Robin?
Jazzi?

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

What_does_this_button_do?
1st Nov 2000, 17:08
Well; you've got to have:

SLASH - Slasher
SNAIL - Capt IF Snailtrails
JEEZE - [that was close!]

10W
1st Nov 2000, 19:22
Reddo,

We have a ROBIN already. But the rest of the suggestions look good ;)

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

G-OOFY
1st Nov 2000, 21:03
G-OOFY any chance ?

Actually there's a Goofy2 arrival into Orlando

Arkroyal
1st Nov 2000, 23:18
EGCC Rwy 24

Are you Left or Right, or is that too personal a question? :)

I must say I really like ARTHA & DAYLY and AMLET the DAYNE up in your neck of the woods,and DANDY and BEANO over the North sea

EGCC Rwy 24
1st Nov 2000, 23:50
Arkroyal, since you asked....

Closer to 24R about 1 mile right (West-ish) of the centre line at about 2 DME.

10W
1st Nov 2000, 23:57
EGCC Rwy 24

Hopefully you got a list from me via feedback. If not I'll have to type it all out again http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

InFinRetirement
2nd Nov 2000, 00:47
Can't think of any 10W - but I DO like mine! :)

EGCC Rwy 24
2nd Nov 2000, 01:28
Certainly did 10W - I just e/mailed you as your post appeared!

Some of the "less serious" points may find their way onto the site in a soon-to-be introduced section.......

redsnail
2nd Nov 2000, 14:03
Sorry, 10W, I don't have any of your Enroute charts and stuff... I sort of don't need them in the southern hemisphere :)

There is a place in the Oz bight called "LONLY" and there used to be a position out of Adelaide that was a female's name. It was the worst route you could get at Adelaide...

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Captain Airclues
2nd Nov 2000, 15:08
10W

PRUNE (or PROON) would have to be a domestic point, as an oceanic one could be confused with PRAWN.

Redsnail

There used to be a reporting point in the centre of Australia named GAFFA. It was removed a few years ago. Did somebody lose their sense of humour?

Airclues

redsnail
4th Nov 2000, 15:09
Airclues,
GAFA changes form every now and then. IT is currently "GAFER" on the J64 out of Alice Springs near "ANZAC" :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

EGCC Rwy 24
4th Nov 2000, 20:27
I need some help with Latitude and Longtitude coordinates! See Tech Log (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/001443.html) for detail of my problem!

In the meantime, I have now (almost) cracked the maps problem, try Southend Pier (http://www.nicklocke.co.uk/Points/PointDetail.asp?point=SPEAR) as an example.

Cheers

EGCC Rwy 24
20th Nov 2000, 01:05
So far, so good. All the information received to date is now uploaded onto the site (http://www.nicklocke.co.uk/Points).

I have now included a trivia section (in which some of you feature!). This has given me an excuse to mention PPRuNe on the very first page!

atcomatic
22nd Nov 2000, 00:50
I hate having to say DIKAS (Bristol sector-ish)at work!