PDA

View Full Version : FAA IFP (Instrument-Foreign Pilot knowledge test) - Where to take in Europe ?

digits_
29th Mar 2011, 16:28
Hello everybody,

I've found a lot of information about getting a restricted FAA PPL license with IR based on a JAR PPL license with an IR. One of the requirements is to take an IFP (Instrument-Foreign Pilot knowledge test). This can be done in the US or in Europe. To make the best of my time in the US, I would like to take this test in Europe, preferably somewhere in the vicinity of Brussels. However, I have not find any company or flying school that organises these tests :confused:

Does anybody of you know where this IFP test can be taken in Europe ?

Thanks a lot,
Digits

IO540
29th Mar 2011, 19:11
Flight Safety at Farnborough UK used to run FAA written exams, I think.

Do you not need an FAA medical too? I recall seeing a lot of debates about that one...

421C
29th Mar 2011, 19:22
The non-USA test centres are at the very top of this list:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/media/test_centers.pdf

It's Flight Safety - Farnborough UK or Le Bourget Paris. Be careful to book well in advance. Flight Safety in Farnborough test only 1-2 days/week and have only 4-5 slots/day, it's not an "on demand" service as it is in the US.

brgds
421C

digits_
29th Mar 2011, 19:55
I don't need a medical.

Thanks for the link and addresses!

digits_
30th Mar 2011, 11:59
O, okay.

Well, it will not be standalone at all. I'll have my JAR IR and JAR PPL, and I'll add my JAR IR to my FAA restricted PPL.

Thanks for bringing it up, I'll look into it!

Katamarino
30th Mar 2011, 12:44
SoCal App,

Here is the link to FAR 61.65.

FAR Part 61 Sec. 61.75 effective as of 10/20/2009 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.75!OpenDocument&Click=)

You'll note that section 4 says a foreign medical is fine. Please can you show me the part that says to exercise the IFR priviliges of your PPL, you suddenly need a medical?

IO540
16th May 2011, 07:07
This has been a long standing grey area - along with a few others.

Some people did get a ruling from the FAA but what happens is that different FSDOs give different answers.

Each answer is good for the person making the enquiry, of course, due to the natural entitlement to rely on official advice.

If you want it in blood you need to get it from the office of the chief counsel. (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/)

S-Works
16th May 2011, 08:32
I believe the original question as around taking the Iinstrument foriegn written. If adding a JAA/ICAO IR to a 61.75 then it is just the written test and an IPC. No medical or training required.

If wanting to add a full FAA IR to a 61.75 then it is not the IFP written it is the full FAA IR written, training as required and a check ride along with a medical.

If a full FAA certificate a non FAA IR can't be added by doing the IFP it must be the full IR written, training and test.

Katamarino
16th May 2011, 11:38
As bose-x correctly notes, digits_ is not adding an FAA IR to a 61.75 licence. He already has a JAA PPL/IR and is obtaining a 61.75 based on that, as he has clearly stated in his posts. The regulations are perfectly clear that no extra medical is required.

rezatabib
1st Apr 2012, 23:07
In USA, you do not need any medical certificate for an FAA written test.
You need only an endorsement from a CFI(Certified flight instructor).

Even for a check flight of an ATP(You need only a 3rd class medical).
If you are converting a foreign pilot License to a FAA, you better do your FAA private pilot written test, and your FAA IFP(Foreign instrument pilot written test) and also 3 hours night flight with a flight instructor in USA, so the FAA will issue you a Private,instrument License on spot, so with two written tests and cost of 300 $. you will save 5000$ to do both course.
Any one has a question email me [email protected]

B2N2
2nd Apr 2012, 14:23
In USA, you do not need any medical certificate for an FAA written test.
You need only an endorsement from a CFI(Certified flight instructor).

Even for a check flight of an ATP(You need only a 3rd class medical).
If you are converting a foreign pilot License to a FAA, you better do your FAA private pilot written test, and your FAA IFP(Foreign instrument pilot written test) and also 3 hours night flight with a flight instructor in USA, so the FAA will issue you a Private,instrument License on spot, so with two written tests and cost of 300 $. you will save 5000$ to do both course.

Looks like you got your April Fool's in with 53 minutes to spare.
What a load of rubbish.
Apart from the endorsement for a FAA written test (which you do not need for the Foreign Pilot Instrument Written test) literally everything else is wrong in the above statement.

For one thing you are mixing up validation and conversion
For validation the night flying is not required and without purpose as night flying is not included in the foreign certificate so those priviliges can never be "added" by a US Instructor. They can only be added to the original foreign certificate in the form of a night rating.

@ Socal, the addition of a rating does not change the medical requirements since a medical is required for a certificate.
So the addition of even a US Instrument test passed does not change the medical requirements as the holder of the certificate that the rating is added to holds the correct (foreign) medical certification.
The addition of a Seaplane rating (not a certificate unless it is the original issueance) also does not require a US medical in place of a foreign medical.

bubo
4th Apr 2012, 18:21
I do confirm there is no need for US medical medical for the purpose of validation of JAA licence - even when it comes to IR. I have done first (VFR only) back in 2009
Contrary to information found on hte internet I was required to visit FAA again three years later when I have IR added to my JAA licence.All paperwork must be done again and IFP test must be completed before Faa visit. The school I went didn't have too much practice with this test, obviously not a frequent test to be done there. No CFI endorsment required and FAA didn't even check if I have flight review valid.Which I didn't have as I stayed the ground during this quick visit to Arizona. Sad, but true:-(

S-Works
4th Apr 2012, 18:53
There are 2 seperate discussions going on here....,

1st. If you hold a 61.75 certificate based on your ICAO licence and subsequently add an IR to the ICAO licence and you wish to use it on your FAA 61.75 certificate then you must complete the IFP (Instrument Foriegn Pilot Exams). There is no requirement for a medical, flight training or sign off for the theory.

There is a divided opinion as to whether an IPC is required or whether just having a current BFR is enough. No two schools will give you the same answer on that one.

2nd. If you hold a 61.75 certificate based on your ICAO licence and you wish to add an FAA IR to it the you will need to sit the IR Exam which apart from 10 questions is basically the same exam as the IFP. You will need a minimum of three hours training with an FAA CFII and an endorsement that you can take the checkride. You will also need an endorsement from an FAA CFI to take the written test. You then take a checkride with a DPE as normal. In order to excerice the privilegs of the FAA IR according to who you talk to at the FAA you will require a Class 3 medical. Debate that one!!

I will leave out the debate around TSA and Visas!

bubo
4th Apr 2012, 18:55
good point- no student visa nor TSA check required for option 1 in a post just above.....

S-Works
4th Apr 2012, 20:13
I should point out in my post above that number two assumes you hold an instrument rating on an ICAO licence but want a full FAA one. If you don't have an Instrument rating then adding the FAA IR to a 61.75 will require the training as prescribed in the regulation.

Before the pedants jump in....:O

ceddc718
29th Aug 2018, 19:02
Would anyone give me an idea what an ifp knowledge test is like? Is it the same as the instrument written test? Theres no reviewer that i see online except for IR written test.