PDA

View Full Version : NATS Preparation Booklet

SvensKingPower
28th Mar 2011, 20:00
Has anybody got a copy of the preparation booklet that I could use? I will be applying for my place in a couple of years but I would like to start research and preparation now, so i can be 100% ready to impress. Also does anybody have a copy of some of the tests or where i can find them to try out, as i would like to know what i have to do and then practice it. I am really pinning most of my hopes on ATC so i have to be ready to make sure i'm fine. I'm a straight A/A* student and i'm good at working in teams so that isnt a problem but i really want to impress. Also in the next couple of years does anyone have an idea of jobs I can do at an airport before i apply? Any more info would be greatly appreciated! :)
I'm 16 btw

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Mar 2011, 20:20
You could try genning up on the Air Navigation Order, UK AIP and MATC Part 1, all of which are available on-line.

Team-work is important, but you also have to function entirely alone. I.e. although you have to work with other controllers what happens on your sector is wholly your responsibility.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions on here..

Danscowpie
28th Mar 2011, 20:39
Hi Sven,

there's a plethora of advice in the "stickys" at the top of this forum.
There are plenty of publications on the phsycometric testing used in the tests, so not many are available via the normal library system so it might be worth investing a few quid in a couple of them - I am sure that you'll get plenty of advice from those who've recently been through the system.

Getting airport experience is absolutely invaluable, so a weekend job as a "Hanger Rat" (an unpaid dogsbody at an aeroclub - preferably at an airport, not a small aerodrome) would be just the job.
However, you must concentrate on your academic studies, do A Levels if you can (preferably in Sciences and/or Maths) - a recent change to the ANO will state that the CAA are coming into line with Europe and "recommending" that all persons wishing to train as ATCOs must have "equivilant qualifications which would entitle them to be accepted for University Education".
The better academic qualifications you have, the better for your future. You don't have to have a degree, but it's always useful to have something to fall back on if ATC doesn't like you or you don't like it.
Although you can apply when you are 18, you've still got a long way to go and don't foresake opportunities to get life and educational experience over putting all your eggs in one basket too early.

Anyway, the best of luck and keep us posted.:ok:

PS - check your PMs.