PDA

View Full Version : Living in Reading

Piper Worrier
21st Jun 2001, 00:00
Hello
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm currently looking for a place to buy in Reading, working at LHR. Can anyone in the know, help with the following.
1)How convenient is it for LHR?
2) Recommend a nice area to live. Tilehurst seems okay from a limited number of visits. Any other areas like that?
3) Anyone selling/thinking of selling a place. Preferably 2 or 3 bed victorian hse 110 to 150K?
I'd appreciate any help.

WOK
21st Jun 2001, 01:26
You can RESIDE in Reading........

Not so sure you could LIVE there. ;)

WOK
21st Jun 2001, 01:32
Out of sarcastic mode:-

Try looking around Twyford/Wargrave.

Or, for LHR, look up the M40 rather than M4. There are some good places near High Wycombe(NOT HW itself!).

Good pubs, too.

Katoi
21st Jun 2001, 02:44
WOK

A place in Twyford or Wargrave for 110K - 150K. Are you mad!

To be honest, Reading does have some good areas as well, with plenty of Victorian properties in the university area. But for 150K you'll be lucky to find a decent house.

But if you do, be sure to drop into my restaurant in Henley!!

Julian
21st Jun 2001, 11:23
Piper,

I live in Reading and you better hold your breath!!

Its becoming the overspill for London and prices are reflecting this, new 1 bed flats are going for £120k!

You WILL find somewhere for £150k definitely, an older property 2/3 beds should be achieveable. Tilehurst is nice, stay away from Whitley/South Reading unless you dont want your car to be there in the morning :)

Heathrow is about 20mins drive.

Katoi is right Twyford/Wargrave you are looking mega money - may get a cardboard box for £150k

Hey Katoi - which place you own in Henley?

Julian.

------------------
Live fast..die young...leave a good looking corpse!

Katoi
21st Jun 2001, 23:27
Mae Nam Thai Restaurant in Reading Road. Used to be the Gazal. It opened in April. The best, most authentic, lowest priced Thai food in the area. Yes I am biased, my other half is the chef, but come and taste.

Just don't ask for Katoi, the waiter could be offended!!!

I will probably be reprimanded now for advertising!!

Ba

Red Spitfire Driver
22nd Jun 2001, 00:46
Piper,

You could try Woodley - there are some older properties around. Or the newer stuff on the old airfield - have an address like Hawker Way or Catalina Close. Ahh nostalgia.

Living WOD 030/2miles is not too bad, twixt Twyford & Woodley. Agree that Wargrave is expensive, but there are Victorian Terraced properties in both Twyford & Wargrave.

Twyford is rumoured to be having a Thai restaurant soon - is that you Katoi extending the business ??

Good pubs - try the Queen Vic at Hare Hatch, I'm there most Thursday lunchtimes. If its sunny I take the Spitfire. Come and say hello.

Katoi
22nd Jun 2001, 02:28
RSD

Sorry, the Thai restaurant Twyford will be part of a chain of restaurants which include the Thai Orchid in Henley amoungst others. This will mean frequent changes of chef I'm afraid. The food will probably be ok but the prices steep. My finances only stretch to owning one restaurant at the moment!

newswatcher
22nd Jun 2001, 13:11
Piper,

You could also look along the M3. Don't believe all the things you hear about Basingstoke, some of the outer villages are OK. The town centre is being redeveloped big style. Offpeak Heathrow is 45 mins drive.

Here is a homes search site, you might like to play with:

http://www.thisishampshire.net/hampshire/marketplace/homesearch.html

Piper Worrier
25th Jun 2001, 23:06
Guys
Thanks a lot for all your help. If theres anything left in the coffers after the move I promise I'll come to the restaurant in Henley!!
Thanks again all of you.
Piper

Piper Worrier
25th Jun 2001, 23:27
Guys
Thanks a lot for all your help. If theres anything left in the coffers after the move I promise I'll come to the restaurant in Henley!!
Thanks again all of you.
Piper