PDA

View Full Version : Clarity of a circuit situation

lilflyboy262
27th Mar 2011, 12:43
Ok. A situation that happened today in the circuit.

Runway 08 is in use.
Aircraft A joins left downwind, ATC clears traffic number one.

Aircraft B joins from a left base and is a faster aircraft. ATC clears this aircraft number one, now putting Aircraft A number two.

Aircraft A now widens to accomodate Aircraft B

Aircraft C joins left base half a mile behind aircraft B. Aircraft C is now cleared number two, Aircraft C asks to confirm number 2 status and ATC confirms, Aircraft A is now number 3.

Aircraft B & C are lower than Aircraft A in the circuit.

Due to the speed of everything playing out and radio traffic Aircraft A has passed Aircraft C and extends downwind before any adjustment can be made to accomodate Aircraft A

All the aircraft are on Commercial operations and have the usual time constraints.

Aircraft B lands and clears the runway just as Aircraft C turns short finals.
Aircraft C lands as Aircraft A turns finals.

One pilot then approaches another in the fuel bay and begins to berate other pilot of poor airmanship and saying will be reported to the authorities.

Who is in the wrong??

The only rules I can find is the following:-

"The Air Navigation Order (CAP393) says this in Section IV, 17(6):
An aircraft while landing or on final approach to land shall have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or on the ground or water.
(b) (i) Subject to sub-paragraph (ii), in the case of two or more flying machines, gliders or airships approaching any place for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude shall have the right-of-way, but it shall not cut in front of another aircraft which is on final approach to land or overtake that aircraft."

BOAC
27th Mar 2011, 15:30
Blimey - need really to have been there!

Re the ANO - I don't think that applies under positive ATC control?

Depending on how far downwind 'A' had to extend it sounds ok on a first read.
All traffic will be IFR presumably and therefore subject to ATC control, and the only way ATC could get 'B' and 'C' BEHIND 'A' would be to send them around the circuit thus extending their flight time significantly whereas as you describe it (I think!), only 'A' had a minor extension?

Saying 'B' and 'C' 'joined' on left base surely means they had been cleared to do so and thus the gripe should be with ATC?

lilflyboy262
27th Mar 2011, 20:39
Sorry forgot to mention that all are operating under VFR conditions.

B & C came from a direction that is condusive to a left base. As I said, runway 08 is in use.

A came from a 190 direction. B from a 160 direction. C from a 130 direction.

C became visual to B at around 11 miles and fell in number 2. A was not detected by either B or C until the aircraft was nearly on top of them.

A had B & C visual from about 5 miles

VFR traffic departing in all directions and overhead rejoins are not practical either as planes also often join right downwind or right base.

Aircraft A had to extend perhaps 1 mile at most, but due to a new pilot at the company, still under instruction, extended perhaps to 2-3 miles.

Im looking for a actual rule that I can point to rather than a "Good airmanship dictates that..."

This situation happens every day as it is the busiest airport in africa during the dry season, but pilot of Aircraft A is a special person in this town and takes exception when things don't play out how they should in his mind.

My understanding is that just because you are established in the circuit, does not mean that you are automatically number 1, no matter what is taught to students in flight school!

Aircraft B had no problems in this situation, it was more between A & C, but was a contributing factor to the situation.

I realise that as a pilot you can say no to ATC if you are not happy with the clearances given due to safety. But why should Aircraft A have a gripe with ATC as they slotted 3 traffic joining at the same time with minimal disruption

After hearing what was said, pilot of aircraft A wanted aircraft C to join downwind, which would have added a lot of miles on the trip, plus putting him in conflict with the outbound traffic.
Other options would have been to widen out the base leg and join more from a long finals direction.
Aircraft A had a training pilot at the controls along with a very by the book training captain which definately would not have conducted a tight circuit. Also said companies pilots are notorious at missing the main turn off and having to backtrack leaving the possibility of a go-around a very real consideration for Aircraft C.

I do not believe that this is a case of bad airmanship on C's part as just because they were last to join the circuit, doesnt mean that automatically they are last in sequence. If this happened aircraft would be orbiting and going the wrong way everywhere!

Said pilot of Aircraft A has also conviently forgotten that he has done the exact same situation to me but in reverse!

Rico 25
28th Mar 2011, 12:55
Good 'ole Maun ATC!
They tell the pilots what order/sequence to rejoin the airfield then let them sort it out themselves anyway!:} Maun has some strange system of ATC and during the 2 years I flew there was witness to some unusual procedures:

On finals in a C206 with 5 pax onboard was asked to do a right 360 orbit to avoid catching up with a preceding C172; Was turning from right base RWY 26 onto finals only to find a C210 circling on very short left base with radio failure; the best one was watching an N-registered Gulfstream bizjet coming over the fence (probably 100 AGL) with a rather stressed female co-pilot requesting confirmation to land-no chance of a goaround at that stage!

Maun ATC also seem to like Roge!-(whoever he is):}

BOAC
28th Mar 2011, 14:36
no chance of a goaround at that stage - sounds as if she needs more training!

JimmyBiggles
11th Apr 2011, 17:58
My suggestion would be forget it. A lot more serious things that justify lost sleep might occur to you in your flying career than a bit of ATC mishandling. As long as it was safe then who cares about 30 seconds extra flying. Honestly, focus on bigger things like did you do everything to the best of your abilities? If so, then laugh at the incompetence of others in the knowledge that you are safe!!

Happy flying!! :)