PDA

View Full Version : Unknown marshaller

chips101
26th Mar 2011, 19:54
I'm not a pilot, but have a question for you helicopter folks. If you were landing in a confined area, taking care to avoid obstacles and an unknown person (Joe Public) started marshalling you with correct and competent signals would you follow them or would you wish he/she kept out of it?

sss
26th Mar 2011, 20:13
would you wish he/she kept out of it?

That would get my vote.

They are too much of an unknown and the buck stops with the driver not the unknown member of public.

ShyTorque
26th Mar 2011, 22:35
You might be faced with the world's best qualified marshaller.

Or the village idiot.

Captain's responsibility to decide which it is. ;)

OvertHawk
26th Mar 2011, 23:13
Do your own thing but if he's jumping up and down pointing at something then it might be wise to think about what he's trying to tell you.

Don't land because someone is indicating you should, but if someone is indicating you should not, then have a pause

Was in that situation once as the person on the ground. A Pilot who did not know who i was arrived at a site and proceeded to land at a specific spot - ignoring definite signals that he should not. When he shut down i showed him the big rock 3 inches away from his tail-rotor.

It's your responsibility - but don't ignore the obvious!

Ian Corrigible
26th Mar 2011, 23:24
You might be faced with the world's best qualified marshaller. Or the village idiot. Captain's responsibility to decide which it is.

Especially in late spring. :E

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/1/7/1231327185383/Morris-dancer-David-Seabo-001.jpg

I/C

Scattercat
26th Mar 2011, 23:26
In 25 yrs of flying, the closest I have ever come to a wire strike was whilst being "Marshalled" by a well intentioned but un-qualified person on the ground. As others have said, don't ignore obvious warnings from the ground, but be very carefull who you put your trust in!

ShyTorque
27th Mar 2011, 20:35
Especially in late spring.

I/C, 'zactly! :ok:

chips101
27th Mar 2011, 22:36
Thanks for the replys. It seems unless you see something could go horribly wrong, keep out the way, let the pilot get on with it.:ok: