PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Wave, a recent experience

bugg smasher
26th Mar 2011, 00:20
Over Iran, four-engine heavy jet, 15 degrees nose down, idle thrust, FL350, VSI showing two-thousand foot a minute ciimb rate. Holy shiite, anyone else?

Piper_Driver
26th Mar 2011, 00:53
How was the back side of the wave when you hit the downdraft?

aterpster
26th Mar 2011, 01:11
bugg smasher:

Over Iran, four-engine heavy jet, 15 degrees nose down, idle thrust, FL350, VSI showing two-thousand foot a minute ciimb rate. Holy shiite, anyone else

It happens over significant mountains when the winds are exceeding a certain speed and crossing the range at a certain angle.

This is always a problem with the Rockies.

Like the other guy said, how did the ride on the down side work out?

I doubt the Iranians cared so long as you were paying the transit fees. :)

bugg smasher
26th Mar 2011, 01:23
In this instance the backside was relatively calm, not really expected due the extreme excursions on the front of the wave. Autothrust was working hard to maintain airspeed throughout the maneuver. I am continually in wonder, though, of the Airbus folks, and the grossly underpowered machines they fly.

I have considerable experience working the front range of the Rockies in all seasons, was just very surprised at the intensity of this encounter.

BOAC
26th Mar 2011, 08:14
Of course BS could have been lucky, and no 'down draught' depending on track.

I told a tale while a back of idle to full throttle over the Scottish highlands many years ago in a light twin with speed from near stall to max IAS.

Fitter2
26th Mar 2011, 08:27
In the '60s a Vulcan over Scotland (captain a rather experienced glider pilot in his spare time). Plaintive voice over the i/com from Nav/plotter in the back 'all engines are at flight idle and we are apparently climbing at 1,000 fpm. Will somebody please tell me what's going on?'

Piltdown Man
11th Apr 2011, 11:17
I've "wave soared" a F100 (just east of the Pennines) - maintained level and speed at Flight Idle, assisted F27s and F50s to climb with wave and thermals but there's a limit to what you can do when you are flying with passengers.

PM