PDA

View Full Version : Would this scenario ever happen, especially on a 737?

shorty79
25th Mar 2011, 22:38
What's the likelyhood of needing to fully pull back the yoke, with a severe turn whilst needing full rudder?

I have recently had a 'fit' test on a 737 sim becuase of my height.
During a test of all the above at once, there was a question mark over my seating position. Would being so close to the yoke prevent full movement, whilst at the same time pressing into my thigh / groin?

Can this be endured or is it a very serious NO?

felixthecat
26th Mar 2011, 17:32
Full and Free....You need to be able to operate the controls over the full range. You may need a lot of rudder in a V1 cut max TOW.

Boeing are very clever and know what is required in the design phase....Sorry!

Cough
27th Mar 2011, 07:53
Hmm,

Crosswind landing gone wrong, needing full rudder and opposite aileron and a lot of back stick because of sink/incorrect trim.

Nope, can't see it...:ugh:

felixthecat
27th Mar 2011, 13:39
Lots of backstick to arrest sink in a 737…ummm you will just push the tail onto the deck…not a good solution! Thrust maybe :ok:

Cough
27th Mar 2011, 15:02
Agreed Felix, but I'm not always handling...

..But it does depend which version you are on-Some are quite short!

BOAC
27th Mar 2011, 15:09
Would being so close to the yoke prevent full movement, whilst at the same time pressing into my thigh / groin? - Shorty - I have never seen this and cannot quite work out how the back and forwards c/column can impinge on your 'thighs' - I hesitate to ask, but are they, hmm, bulky?:) (reminds me of.... no no...)

Certainly for short-legged people especially with hmm - bulky tums, sitting too far forward can inhibit rearward stick movement. We once had one of those, and F/Os took great delight in the 'full and free' checks as subtle aileron checks fully aft could actually undo his seat harness:)

dazdaz1
29th Mar 2011, 17:21
Shorty79..

Slightly off topic (maybe not) my sister was of restricted height, in this scenario driving a car. It was allowed to have wooden blocks to be fitted to the pedals. She passed her test.

Having said that, Shorty79 I would consider you have some bang bang under the Human Rights Act/Disability rights act.

I'm not posting here to stir up consequential or bilateral sh*t. This guy needs a break taking in to account his long term variegation of his future incite to his probable acceptance to a flying in future years. Good luck Shorty79

In WWII some of the best pilots were 5ft 6/+/-

Exaviator
29th Mar 2011, 19:48
Can this be endured or is it a very serious NO?
Shorty79, the bottom line is that aircraft controls must be free to be moved through the full range of movement. If you are unable to do that from your normal seating position, or impede the other pilot from doing so then you have a problem.

Further more, some aircraft, like the B-747 for example have "Eye Level Indicators" to ensure the correct seat height. For a height challenged person this could also be a problem.

Capt Claret
29th Mar 2011, 23:26
It has to be endured. It is unacceptable to prevent the controls from moving to their full extent, or, to be unable to move them to their full extent.

Reverserbucket
30th Mar 2011, 21:25
Shorty,

Are you a licensed pilot or looking to embark on a course of training? Curious as I see no mention of height restrictions in any marketing material for professional pilot training courses these days.

In WWII some of the best pilots were 5ft 6/+/-

And one I can think of didn't have any legs but that probably wouldn't cut the mustard these days in an airline interview. :rolleyes: