PDA

View Full Version : 26th June - Kirkbride Open Day, Cumbria

Chris_G
24th Mar 2011, 21:14
This year see's a change in month for our annual Open Day and Fly-in, hopefully this time the weather will be more co-operative and there will be a good turn out.
We have managed to secure flypasts by 2 x BBMF Spitfire's as well as either a Soko or Isaacs Fury display. Hopefully a few smokey flybys by the resident Yak-50 will happen too.:)

Chris_G
12th Apr 2011, 20:33
Add Neil McCarty's Newcastle Jet Provost to the mix :-)

Rugbyears
12th Apr 2011, 20:38
Excellent news, it all sounds rather exciting.

MFC_Fly
13th Apr 2011, 06:00
Do you have an up-to-date website giving details? The one I found for the airfield is still advertising the 2009 fly-in and the URL in your profile doesn't go anywhere :eek:

I would like to advertise this event on our Club website and see if anyone is interested in going.

MFC

SWBKCB
13th Apr 2011, 06:58
Isn't this the same weekend as Eshott - with so few events in the North seems a shame?

Chris_G
14th Apr 2011, 21:02
website is....
Kirkbride Airfield - Home (http://kirkbrideairfield.weebly.com/)

Got to admit it is a shame about Eshott clashing with us, we had been using that Sunday then got told of their intentions to have the Great North Fly-In the same weekend, to be fair once they found out they did try to deconflict but the BBMF wouldn't change the day for their flypasts and they couldn't get enough volunteers for a July date. We have a few coming though who are doing Eshott on Saturday and Kirkbride on the Sunday.

MFC_Fly
14th Apr 2011, 21:32
Thanks Chris, event has been added to our Club website, hope some pilots will take the chance to visit. We have some planning to go to Castle Kennedy the weekend before, weather allowing, so there may be interest in your event too.

MFC

Chris_G
19th Apr 2011, 20:31
MFC, thanks for the add. Just looked at your website, that's quite a trek down from way ooop North.

Chris_G
20th Apr 2011, 21:11
Good news and bad news, the bad news is the BBMF have withdrawn one of the Spitfires, on the plus side we have been given a Sea King from RAF Boulmer as a replacement :-)

west lakes
31st May 2011, 18:51
Parking area this year is between the hangers and the runway, not remotely as the last two years. I was told today that avgas could be available (not confirmed)

Crash one
1st Jun 2011, 22:17
Isn't this the same weekend as Eshott - with so few events in the North seems a shame?

Unfortunately also the same as our (East of Scotland Strut) fly in at Kingsmuir 25 & 26 June.
However we are only about an hour or so away.

Chris_G
16th Jun 2011, 19:05
Just to add that aerobatic rides will be available in a T67 Firefly for those with a strong stomach.:yuk:;)

execExpress
17th Jun 2011, 15:19
Like the website. Will try to visit on our way back down south from Scotland. Runway surface is in good nick ?

"Friday 4th September saw a brief but welcome visit from Antonov AN-2 LY-BIG. This aircraft known as "Baltic Bear" called in to pick up a crew member who was on holiday in the Lake District, but was needed for their display at the Portrush Airshow in Northern Ireland the following weekend."

The AN-2 may not be the fastest means of transport but allowing a week for Kilbride-Portrush... :-)

Chris_G
17th Jun 2011, 19:31
Just heard today that a second Jet Provost should be with us on the day from Woodvale. :)

There can be quite a strong westerly at times over the Irish Sea :p:)

west lakes
17th Jun 2011, 21:40
On the ground at Kirkbride!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/aviation/IMG_0432.jpg

Departing but shows the runway!
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/aviation/IMG_0491.jpg

proplover
18th Jun 2011, 22:19
Hope to make it for the first time in the Chippy - just hope the weather is better than it is currently!

Chris_G
19th Jun 2011, 21:47
Hope to see you there, been a couple of years since we've had a chippy in on the Fly-In. :cool:

Chris_G
20th Jun 2011, 20:35
Just a note to say we have the BBMF Spitfire on at 12.10 there will be no arrivals or departures allowed between midday and 12.15pm other displays will be put on later in the afternoon at a more convenient time.

Unusual Attitude
21st Jun 2011, 09:26
Our Tri Pacer is coming down from Perth on Sunday so I might join it in the Cassutt....I'll give them a bit of a head start thought.... ;-)

Chris_G
22nd Jun 2011, 19:44
You would be more than welcome, don't think we've had a Cassutt at KB before :cool:

Unusual Attitude
23rd Jun 2011, 08:13
I'll see what the weathers looking like, its not the most fun aircraft to fly in poor vis or high winds!

Cheers

UA

baldwinm
23rd Jun 2011, 11:26
The air display appears to be notamed on the Saturday (25th) not Sunday

Chris_G
24th Jun 2011, 17:49
Apologies have just seen this, will look into it. It should of course be Sunday 26th.

Edit - The mistake is their end our licence is for the 26th. :ok:

Chris_G
24th Jun 2011, 20:54
It would appear our Jet Provosts are probably arriving in formation around 12.30 all being well :cool:

maxred
24th Jun 2011, 21:13
Do you require PPR? - I e mailed you guys but got no response

A le Ron
24th Jun 2011, 22:18
Ditto. Hope to fly up from Sherburn if the weather is OK but would be grateful if you could confirm (a) PPR requirement and (b) if you will have AVGAS for the event!

Chris_G
25th Jun 2011, 06:34
Sorry guys, the event is not PPR, just turn up on the day, there will be no avgas available unfortunately (Carlisle nearest option), however there will be some mogas available.

west lakes
25th Jun 2011, 15:50
On site this afternoon and all is ready (just need the weather)
We had hoped to have Avgas but the bowser is still being built!

As suggested earlier all parking is on the grass between the hangers and the runway, a temporary runway exit has been constructed.

maxred
25th Jun 2011, 15:51
Thanks guys, weather not looking great at moment but hope to make it down.:)

PH-UKU
26th Jun 2011, 00:17
Hope to make it down from PIK, depending on the weather of course ....

How smooth is the runway ... ? I've only got little wheels and can't cope too well with potholes, soft grass or a solidstep between grass and tarmac ....

:)

Chris_G
26th Jun 2011, 07:30
The runway is fine nothing too major there is a concrete area should you need it, just request to the tower on arrival. On my way up to the airfield now, weather is ok wind around 10 knots see some of you there :)

west lakes
26th Jun 2011, 16:21
Not long back from a good day with a few bits of interest.

Thanks to all of those that called in from various location, hope to see you all next year (there are plans to give the grass a good roll !)

T18
26th Jun 2011, 20:01
Hi Guys

How did the weekend go? I had hoped to visit from Perth but the wx would not play ball. I had a very pleasant visit about four weeks ago, could not believe how much the field has changed for the better in ten years. Kind regards to John, hope to see you soon.

T18

west lakes
26th Jun 2011, 20:20
A very, very good day the weather this morning was poor but cleared up after lunch. We had a few cancel due weather and 4 guys trying to get back to NI from yesterday.