PDA

View Full Version : "Close encounter between two simultaneously departing aircraft on crossing runways"

DaveReidUK
22nd Mar 2011, 10:14
Zurich, last Tuesday morning (15th)

With the exception of AvHerald, this doesn't seem to have been picked up by any of the mainstream aviation press:

www.bfu.admin.ch/common/pdf/airprox/SWR1326_SWR202W.pdf (http://www.bfu.admin.ch/common/pdf/airprox/SWR1326_SWR202W.pdf)

Is this such a common occurrence nowadays that it's no longer newsworthy ?

Fliegenderflieger
22nd Mar 2011, 10:34
Hey Dave,
relax...
wait and see what the incident report will say.
Until now there is nothing to brodcast.
Or do you want to read just more stupid headlines?
eg.
"It is possible that two aircraft flew on a close path but we do not know anything."

???

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Mar 2011, 10:38
Reduced separation in the vicinity of an airfield..

Hipennine
22nd Mar 2011, 10:49
It did make the Swiss Press, including the free papers. I saw one edition where one aircraft was reported to abort take off when the crew realised that another a/c had been given clearance at the same time.

threemiles
22nd Mar 2011, 10:49
Airprox?
More of a Groundprox:ugh:

NigelOnDraft
22nd Mar 2011, 11:11
Not liking to speculate, but if there is going to be a crossing runway incident, or worse, ZRH is high up on my list of where it might occur.

Partly due to the terrain / buildings (28 for departure, you cannot see 16/34 thresholds and v-v)... but some human factors too :oh:

DCS99
22nd Mar 2011, 11:34
But my source said

R/W 28 vs R/W 16 - one of them had to hit the brakes and needed some cool-down time before departing.

Slightly surprised it was 2 Swiss machines who obviously know the potential for this kind of incident better than most.

But on the other hand "familiarity can breed complacency"...

mosteo
23rd Mar 2011, 09:50
If the one that hit the brakes is the one bound for MAD, I most likely know a PAX in this flight. She's a friend of a relative, and she told that they had to wait three hours and change some tyre. (This is second hand info relayed by my relative).

DaveReidUK
23rd Mar 2011, 10:14
If the one that hit the brakes is the one bound for MAD, I most likely know a PAX in this flight. She's a friend of a relative, and she told that they had to wait three hours and change some tyre. (This is second hand info relayed by my relative).

Yes, it was the MAD flight (LX2026/SWR202W) departing on 28 that rejected the T/O, stopping (reportedly) around 20m before the intersection.

The departing flight on 16 was LX1326/SWR1326.

I suspect that as well as changing some wheels, new underwear might well have been required. :)