PDA

View Full Version : Spammed by a recruiting company

Tinstaafl
17th Jun 2001, 03:38
Has anyone else been spammed by pilot recruiting company?

The b@stards say the collected my email from a website & that thought I might be a pilo/aviation employed (I am of course, but they don't know that), then have the hide to say in their email that they would like me to forward their #$%^ spam to everyone I know who's a pilot but to make sure don't spam them!

Conveniently 'forgetting' that their email was spam in the first place.

PPRuNe is about the only place I know that my visible email address is associated with aviation so I stronly suspect that they trawled this site for the information.

Below is what I received, only I've modified any identifiers to the pr!cks so that they don't benefit from their spam.

--------------

FLIGHT DECK CREW!

Five minutes today... for a whole future tomorrow?

This e-mail is being sent to you because you may possess valuable qualifications that are in demand by various airlines and other recruiters around the world. We found your e-mail address on the web, and we believe you may be qualified flight deck crew or have at least some connection with flying. Please forgive us if this mail is not appropriate, and please also consider forwarding this e-mail to your friends in aviation.

If you are flight deck crew, you may add your professional qualifications FREE to an exciting new alerting service that constantly matches airline and other recruiting organisations' requirements with flight deck crew skills. This is not an advertisement for a contract agency, nor indeed for a standard recruitment agency, but an invitation to sign up to an ongoing exchange of information between airlines, other recruiters and flight deck crew. You do not even need to be actively looking for a change of position, though you should be prepared to consider the exciting new opportunities which may of course be presented to you!

If you have absolutely no intention of changing your job, please forgive the intrusion. Otherwise, please visit...

www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com (http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com)

..and try the amazing new flight crew search engine. Then add your professional details by clicking on the 'Add New Crew Details' link. A full listing of your professional details is FREE, and can be set up in less than five minutes.

Five minutes today... for a whole future tomorrow?

IMPORTANT: Whether or not you leave your details with xxxxxxxxxxx, please also forward this e-mail to all the flight-related contacts in your address book (though please avoid spamming anyone). The power of the xxxxxxxxxxx service to you, and to them, will be greatly enhanced if there are many flight deck crew registered with our service, as therefore many recruiters will be encouraged to search there. If you need a clean copy of our promotional e-mail please visit www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com/mailfriends.htm (http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com/mailfriends.htm)

If you would like a copy of our poster/leaflet to mount in appropriate places where flight deck crew will see it, please visit www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com/leaflet.htm (http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com/leaflet.htm)

Thank you for your attention, and happy landings!

xxxxxxxxxxx

www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com (http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com)

----------------

Yeah, I'll mount it where my aviation contacts can see it all right! Right where they can all see this as SPAM! :mad: :mad:

I don't appreciate being spammed, nor do I appreciate being asked to contribute to the practice of spamming. Here's hoping their site is avoided as a result.

I'm not sure, but I wonder if these are the same sods that were trying it on for free advertising via recent posts on PPRuNe?

Trident Sim
17th Jun 2001, 05:14
Yes, I received exactly the same garbage.

DownIn3Green
17th Jun 2001, 05:26
I received it and opened their sorry site.
www.**********.com (http://www.**********.com[/URL])[/url] says registering as a pilot is free, but upon further inspection of their site, they say only the registration is free, and their other services come at a price.

I plan to stay away....

[This message has been edited by DownIn3Green (edited 17 June 2001).]

mad_jock
17th Jun 2001, 05:31
I have got it as well.

If it happens again i will f*ck there DNS entry up and make sure everything they send goes straight to /dev/null.

MJ

DownIn3Green
17th Jun 2001, 05:40
My apologies to anyone upset by the inaccuracies of my previous post. I had the details right, but they didn't apply to this firm.

My edited post above is correct.

pigboat
17th Jun 2001, 06:32
Got the same thing over here.

Sagey
17th Jun 2001, 07:46
Yep I also got the same post.

Looks like they have been busy bees on pprune.

Sagey

Evo7
17th Jun 2001, 09:30
Yep. Even my profile didn't put them off ;)

The irritating thing is that it is my work e-mail address, which I've so far kept spam-free. You can bet the b@$tards will sell it on now. Oh well, I guess it's my fault for posting it in public http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Evo7 (edited 17 June 2001).]

CargoRat2
17th Jun 2001, 12:47
Same here, got it in my pprune mail address. Told them where to stick it.

------------------
rgds Rat

cossack
17th Jun 2001, 14:30
I got it at my pprune email address also.
They obviously don't bother checking profiles, just collect all the addresses. :mad:

Tinstaafl
17th Jun 2001, 15:08
My email reply to the b@stards:

------------------

Sir or madam,

I do not appreciate receiving spam email, nor do I appreciate be asked to assist in furthering your spam.

It is obvious from which site you trawled my, my friends and my associates email address. We do not appreciate this blatant misappropriation of our contact details, nor your misuse of the website concerned. There are clear guidelines that proscribe this sort of action.

As a result I will now direct my efforts to ensure that my aviation contacts avoid your site. I have posted a copy of your email on the site from which you trawled our email addresses, so that others can recognise this underhand business practice in which you engage.

Sincerely
T

------------------

Let's hope others see their tactic for what it is: an underhand, misuse of PPRuNe, and choose to avoid their site.

Their site is inadequate anyway, but damned if I'm going to give them hints here on how to fix it!

Rusty A300
17th Jun 2001, 15:11
I got it too. The difference is that I was in need of a job at the time. I registered there and was on my way to an interview within 24 hours. A day later I had a job. A darn good one at that.

You call it SPAMMED; I call it SAVED!

Stop bitching and get on with it!

DownIn3Green
17th Jun 2001, 15:42
Rusty,

That's great if you got a job. Did it cost you any extra? If you don't mind, could you let us know if you'll be working for the agency in question directly, or did they just get you a contract with the company. In other words, how legit does it seem to you as far as the contract goes?

I'm not asking this to be nosey, or smart-ar$ed, just to put perhaps a more even slant on this post.

redsnail
17th Jun 2001, 16:19
Yeah I got that one too. They must have trawled PPRuNe for that email addy.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Iain
17th Jun 2001, 17:50
I got it too, and wondered where they got my e-mail address. Thanks for clearing things up!
Iain

Pielander
17th Jun 2001, 18:15
I got the same thing too.

If the service is good, then fair enough, but that's not really the point. They could at least have had the courtesy to approach Danny with some cash and pay to have some honest advertising put on the site, rather than abusing Pprune and using it to harvest people's contact details in their quiet slumber.

Pie

Dave Incognito
17th Jun 2001, 19:22
Ditto for me too.

Farking spam!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

pax domina
17th Jun 2001, 20:42
Me as well . . .

And the only valuable "aviation" skills I possess are a strong belief in getting myself to the airport in good time for my flight, and then behaving like a good little pax.

As I suspected, they trawled PPRuNe for all visible addresses.

Dan Winterland
17th Jun 2001, 21:05
Mine was forwarded by the people who provide my pprune address, and only people who access pprune use.

Bur why get het up? I deleted it immediately, just as I do with the other 15 to 20 spams I get a day. And if you need a job, why not give it a go.

SLF
17th Jun 2001, 22:54
Me too, I got this a couple of weeks ago and put my application in. I've always wanted to sit up the front behind one of those steering wheel thingies. Still haven't been asked for interview, wonder why?

------------------
29A please!

Delta Wun-Wun
17th Jun 2001, 23:25
Me too,binned it.Perhaps they would like to contribute to the prune fund and help train a persective customer,or at least pay for the adverts. :mad: :mad: :mad:

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Mac the Knife
17th Jun 2001, 23:27
Me too. Bit cheeky trawling the profiles (they could at least read 'em). Told Mrs. Mac who said

"I hope they'll teach you to fly properly first dear..." :)

Fra
18th Jun 2001, 00:09
Yeh,

I also got the guff, it was late last night.

Just deleted it.

Maybe a small lesson for us all.

Avoid pants looking e-mail, just ditch them.

Fra

Yogi Driver
18th Jun 2001, 00:35
Tinstafl, if it upsets you so much, why have your e-mail on your profile? Or is that an ego thing perhaps? Stop being a pr!ck, that site has proved valuable to some, but as you probably have no airline experience you are just miffed at those that do, get a life.

Spoonbill
18th Jun 2001, 00:41
Another slant on this chaps, it is possible that if any of you have put your occupation on any internet transaction, and not ticked the privacy box, the company you are trading with may have sold your name and details on.
Obviously these details go into the big worldwide web melting pot, where every last part of your personal life is dissected for marketing purposes, and passed on.
Sad, but true. ;)

------------------
It wasn't me.

Evo7
18th Jun 2001, 01:01
Not true, spoonbil. PPRuNe is the only website with my work e-mail address. Must have come from here.

Spoonbill
18th Jun 2001, 01:08
:) Oh well, I'll shut up then. :)

------------------
It wasn't me.

Code Blue
18th Jun 2001, 04:18
Oh God! What an awful weekend.

I'm a failure - no-one sent me anything. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Perhaps I'm just 'sub-spamdard'

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]

Tinstaafl
18th Jun 2001, 05:46
Yogi Driver

These people run their site for a profit. Registration on their site is a loss leader for them, with the goal of enticing registrants to pay for their other services.

One of the conditions of this site is that the solicitations are not appropriate. Danny et. al. provides PPRuNe at some cost to themselves, and enables a legitimate form ofh advertising to defray some of their financial burdon.

A legitimate means of advertising one's wares is provided through the paid format available on this site.

Do you find it acceptable that an organisation should engage in unsolicited activities that are contrary to conditions of the site from which they sourced their information?

Perhaps you find it acceptable that their activities result in a financial cost to many of those whom they target?

Or maybe you find it acceptable that their activities at the very least cause the recipient to waste their time removing their unwanted email from their PC?

You seem to think it acceptable to engage in these sort of practices.

I notice that you choose not to display your email address. Why not? Worried that some organisation would choose to misuse it? Obviously not with regard to the organisation concerned, judging by your support for them.

Why don't you send me your email address & I'll make sure that they receive it so that you too can share in the joyous reception of one of their communications.

BTW, I'm not the only one who considers their activities to be unwelcome or unethical. I take it you you feel that we all need to "...get a life."?

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 18 June 2001).]

Dave Incognito
18th Jun 2001, 11:30
Nice one Tinstaafl.

Yogi Driver,

Most of us have our email on display so other people can contact us privately etc. We shouldn’t have to hide our email address (like you do) so that we don’t get spammed. I am sick of removing 20 + junk emails per day from my other email account, and I really don’t want the same to happen to my PPRuNe account.

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

HugMonster
18th Jun 2001, 13:58
A possible answer to having your email address on display but unavailable to trawling machines is to put the word "NOSPAM" in it. People then can check your addy, remove the "NOSPAM" and then use it.

PS - OOPS! Sorry - forget that. I forgot that when you change your email address it changes your password and tries to send you the new one - to an incorrect address, so you've just permanently locked yourself out of PPRuNe.

Silly idea. Forget it.
------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

[This message has been edited by HugMonster (edited 18 June 2001).]

swashplate
18th Jun 2001, 16:35
Yeah, I got the same stuff. I'll e-mail Danny about this - see if he can get some £ from the buggers!!

Flintstone
18th Jun 2001, 23:20
Woohoo!

They missed me.

Yogi, wash your mouth out. Although he doesn't say so Tins is a very experienced pilot so there's another point you're wrong on.

Just read your profile. Good job you included the 'heavy' bit. People might have assumed you didn't have a proper job otherwise, eh?

CargoRat2
18th Jun 2001, 23:32
I've half a dozen email addresses. Work, PPRuNe, private. These spammers sent it to my PPRuNe address, which is only used for PPRuNe matters, hence my antipathy.
Still waiting to hear from Rusty A300 - Kosher or not?

------------------
rgds Rat

Doctor Cruces
19th Jun 2001, 04:07
I have several e-mail addresses too, and the only one I recieved into was my Dr_Cruces @ etc etc. I just blocked that sender so I wont get anything from them again.

Doc C.

DeltaT
19th Jun 2001, 17:17
How to get revenge on spammers:
Post their email address onto a newsgroup.
When that gets trawled by a Spambot (program that searches for email addresses) then they will start to get spam in return!
Just make sure you don't put your true 'from' or 'reply to' address.

InFinRetirement
19th Jun 2001, 20:22
ESG gave me this tip many moons ago. Save all your spam in a folder. When you get one like the one you - and me - got. I send them the whole folder full of spam. It might not do much good. But it made me feel good.

BTW, why is there always a smart a*se with attitude on these kind of threads? Funny that! Perhaps he should change his aeroplane before bits fall off!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

dingducky
22nd Jun 2001, 16:13
i got it too
well on the bright side at least i can't feel left out :)

------------------
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.