View Full Version : Own logbook, print on demand?

AdamFrisch
16th Mar 2011, 19:11
I use an old Pilot Log US standard black type logbook (now that I've switched from my first ancient Swedish one), but I find it woefully inadequate. I like to log all my flying in the same book and not have to have separate ones for helicopter and FW (not that I have that much helicopter to log). I'd also like to log in accordance with JAA and FAA in the same logbook, especially in regards to Xcountry.

Last FAA application paper asks you to state the following:

Cross country Instruction received
Cross country solo
Cross country PIC
Night Instruction received
Night takeoff's/landings
Night PIC
Night Take off/Landings PIC

None of these are specified in my logbook, nor can I log water landings etc, etc. And that would be OK with recent flying experience as one could remember it, but for 15 year old stuff? I can barely remember my last name, to be honest.

So, does anyone know of any outfit that does logbook printing on demand so I could customize my own? Or are there any logbooks that have enough blank columns so that I could fit all the above in? Any recommendations. Oh, and ideally it shouldn't be too big either, so I can travel easily with it.

Barcli
16th Mar 2011, 20:14
excel spreadsheet

BackPacker
16th Mar 2011, 21:09
Those applications are typically for a rating where all the specific hours for that rating were flown relatively recent. So it's not too difficult to count them. You probably will not need that kind of detail across your whole career.

Furthermore, you will not know right now which other columns you're going to need in the future if you do insist on keeping track of that kind of detail.

If you have a bunch of columns for:
- Class/Type of aircraft (SEP, MEP, TMG, Glider, or whatever type-rated aircraft or helicopter you fly)
- Capacity (PIC, P2, Dual, Instruction)
- Night, IFR time, total time
- Take-offs and landings, day/night as appropriate
- and a big fat "remarks" column
you should be able to record everything just fine.

Slopey
16th Mar 2011, 21:38
There are several services on the net that let you print a single copy of your own book, or even stick it on a marketplace for others to buy - check out lulu and others like it for info.

Likely not cheap but as its a custom one off after all.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Mar 2011, 00:00
Try these chaps (http://www.leatherlogbook.com/); failing that Excel!

I use a self-generated Excel spreadsheet that sorts out all the totals that matter for my own flying, which is a bit ideosynchratic (I need to know microlight hours separately, tailwheel hours separately, and track my flight testing work). Then I use a standard Pooleys professional logbook as well which I make stickers up for to change the column headings. Easily done on a laser printer, and I like having both the handwritten hardback logbook, and Excel.

There are various commercial PC logbook products on the market and you can download free demos for most of them. However, most are pretty much designed around airline pilots, so rather different to what most GA pilots want out of their flying records.

I'd never travel with my main logbook - too easy to mislay en-route! I travel with my laptop, so have the electronic version, and copy up onto my paper logbook at home (and back up my hard drive!).

G

N.B. I just tried googling "Excel pilot logbook" - there's a lot of stuff there for free or cheap download, so you don't need to write your own unless you want to. That said, if you write your own, you understand it, and can relatively easily modify it when you want something new out of it - such as night landings, hours in the last 28 days - whatever matters to you.

BillieBob
17th Mar 2011, 00:01
I'm with Barcli - an Excel spreadsheet will do whatever you want it to do and a hard copy is only a keystroke away. Any old notebook will do to record the details until you get to a computer. If you keep a copy in Google Docs you can access it from any internet cafe. Now, my password was......

FlyingKiwi_73
17th Mar 2011, 01:10
How valid would an excel spreadsheet be when receiving endorsements?

Or are you proposing to have an FAA copy and a personal log book?

Can you 'Staple' the relevant pages in.

I could whip up and get a logbook professionally printed and bound with any columns you require. Would it be kosher though?

Genghis the Engineer
17th Mar 2011, 07:41
I run both, with the Excel the lead on the maths, but the paper logbook the official lead containing all signatures and stamps. I put references to them in the Excel logbook.

When I passed my CPL last year, I sent a printout of my Excel logbook to CAA, with each page signed "certified true copy" by me (printed really small, 15 pages for about 1100 hrs!). They accepted it without any trouble and didn't demand to see the paper logbook. This made me happy, because I like keeping my paper logbook locked in my office where it can't get mislaid.

It seems to give nobody any trouble. I can't see me going for just one however - the paper logbook (complete with a natty leather cover) is "official", Excel is both my backup (and separately backed up), and the place all the adding up gets done.

Before I transferred everything to Excel, I used to just photocopy each page and put them in a folder. It worked, but didn't give me all the extra resources of the spreadsheet.

I don't think that any authority cares whether your logbook is "official" or not, they just want the right column headings and totals. Making your own, that suits what you need from your flying records, has always been fine.

G

SNS3Guppy
17th Mar 2011, 08:09
Logbook Pro works well.

I use it.

SNS3Guppy
17th Mar 2011, 16:16
I do the same. My paper logbook is the main logbook, but it's a lot easier when I'm on the road for an extended period to enter everything into Logbook Pro. I can do reports or look at snapshots of a given period of time to check currency and so forth. When I get home, I make all the paper log entries.

My Logbook Pro isn't complete; I've been working on it for a couple of years now, but entering all the flights from previous logbooks is tedious and time-consuming (and boring). I originally started the electronic logbook as a way of catching math errors that might have crept in here or there, as well as researching things faster. It's slow going trying to enter previous flying, to prevent any errors from creeping in.

Logbook Pro is the best of the various electronic logs that I've seen, and it's updated and maintained by the manufacturer on a regular basis. They also produce and sell proprietary paper logs, including some nice leather bindings and papers, if one is interested.

IO540
17th Mar 2011, 17:47
10 years in, I am on my 2nd normal logbook.

Never had any need to split up the times any more finely than the Jepp one does, and one needs somewhere to keep signoffs like BFRs.

The aircraft maintenance logbooks (3 plus the non-mandatory journey logbook) are totally separate and are based on airborne time.

Miked
4th Jul 2011, 15:32
I think these guys can print custom spread sheets.

Home page (http://www.logbookinc.com)

Dawdler
4th Jul 2011, 16:02
Have you looked at this on-line option?
UKGA home (http://ukga.com) It might not suit your requirements of course.

bigjarv
2nd Dec 2011, 01:03
Has anyone used these guys for printing logbooks? I need to get mine done for my interview.

Home page (http://www.logbookinc.com)

Dusty_B
2nd Dec 2011, 03:16
I've been using my own Google Docs spreadsheet for a few years now. My wife is a 'view only' collaborator, so if the worst happens, she can pass on access to the AAIB.
I've got it doing totals by month, year and type, originally to help me complete summaries in the paper book... But tbh, I think I'm about 3 years behind on updating it now! I just print off a month to a side whenever I need to produce written evidence, and stick that in my backup logbook (well, folder).