PDA

View Full Version : Media crew not conducting rescues

Kya
16th Mar 2011, 14:01
Ladies and gents,
Please excuse me as this is my first post on this site. I am military aircrew that had some involvement during the floods in qld in Jan. I am sure this has probably been covered already but I am just trying to understand why news aircraft did not assist with evacuations on 11 Jan from either forest hill or laidley. I realize squirrels are not the best aircraft but when towns are being evacuated any aircraft will do. I am not suggesting anybody did anything wrong, as it is those individuals working under pressure. Just curious why they would film rather than save.

aviatorhi
17th Mar 2011, 02:50
1) They're hired to watch the disaster not participate in it.

2) They're not equipped for it (depending on the aircraft there might be video production and transmission equipment in the back instead of seats)

3) For lack of a better term "it's not their job".

4) Why don't military aircraft do the news reporting?

5) From a personal standpoint, if they're (whoever owns/charters the plane) not paying for it and it's not a matter of immdeiate life and death (not sure how floods work in Australia but when they hit in the US the water recedes with time) I'm not getting involved in anything more than I've been asked to do.