PDA

View Full Version : Future F35C Bases (Pros/Cons)

Irish Tempest
15th Mar 2011, 23:51
L&G,

Curious to the hear the learned folks views, where should we put her/him? (being Pc). I believe a lot of the original requirements may have changed (ie now a carrier variant aircraft (not a stovl)).

One for discussion...

IT

glad rag
15th Mar 2011, 23:58
A short one at that.

aw ditor
16th Mar 2011, 08:04
Heathrow or Gatwick?

Heathrow Harry
16th Mar 2011, 09:03
they'll never come

we'll buy 24 F-18's instead

philrigger
16th Mar 2011, 09:35
;)

My station of choice whould be Akrotiri!

Willard Whyte
16th Mar 2011, 10:40
Yeovilton.

No point in the RAF getting them, and there won't be enough to go around anyway.

Finningley Boy
16th Mar 2011, 11:02
Quite true Willard, with 40 airframes seeming to be the overall number we can expect. If it is going to be 25 of those in service, then I imagine it will be, 2 x sqns 800 and 801 with 8 acft each and 8 or 9 for the HQ Trng Sqn, at Yeovilton. Unless, Lossiemouth is to revert to being HMS Fulmar again. As for the long term prospects of the R.A.F. That's anyone's guess.:{

FB:)

diginagain
16th Mar 2011, 11:55
Unless, Lossiemouth is to revert to being HMS Fulmar again.

Much more likely to have a name ending in "Barracks."

Along with the former RAF Leuchars.

Finningley Boy
16th Mar 2011, 13:06
I most sincerely hope not diginagain, the thought of the Army descending on Leuchars, in particular, would not be a good idea!:uhoh:

diginagain
16th Mar 2011, 13:16
Despite my Army background, I appreciate that such a move will not be universally popular. However, plans are afoot to return 7 & 20 Armoured Brigades to the UK from Hohne and Paderborn respectively, and they've got to go somewhere. If you're not going to be able to fill parts of the estate, the Army can.

Finningley Boy
16th Mar 2011, 13:22
Perhaps Kinloss and Lossiemouth together, but would that alone be sufficient to acommodate just one Armoured Brigade?:confused:

Heathrow Harry
16th Mar 2011, 13:29
Each Brigade has around 60-100 tanks

easily park them all onto a taxi track at Lossie

there isn't the money for them to exercise anyway

Roadster280
16th Mar 2011, 13:44
Is it certain that 7 & 20 Bdes will be Armd on return? They may well end up as 7 & 20 Lt Bdes. Ergo no armour hangarage or access to SPTA required.

As for the carrier aircraft, somewhere near the carrier's home port. Since the Navy won't be able to justify Portsmouth AND Plymouth, they'll be down to Pompey and Faslane by then. So somewhere close to Pompey. Yeovilton or Odiham depending on who gets them.

Alternatively, no carriers means no carrier aircraft means no basing question.

sisemen
16th Mar 2011, 15:22
You guys just aren't thinking laterally are you?

Re-open Debden or Hemswell, resurface and extend the runways, new officers' and SNCOs messes, new gynasium, new build MQ and, of course, refurbish and extend all the technical and admin buildings.

Easy.

Finningley Boy
16th Mar 2011, 16:46
Ahh, Yes!! But you see Siseman, old Plum, we're trying to second guess the decision process of the Fox and his chums back at the M.O.D. Den!!

In which case, all Tiffy and Tonka Sqns remaining, may well be squeezed into Marham and the entire Army squeezed into Scotland at Lossie and Leuchars!:hmm:

MG
16th Mar 2011, 16:49
Hemswell? I like that; good, expansion period airfield, an Officers' Mess well away from the the technical site and, thus, away from the oiks, and on a hill so a nice view for the days when there are no ac to fly! And Lincoln's not too far for a bit of Lager-scending and the Harry Potter chip shop!

GeeRam
16th Mar 2011, 20:44
Since the Navy won't be able to justify Portsmouth AND Plymouth, they'll be down to Pompey and Faslane by then. So somewhere close to Pompey.

Thorney Island fits the bill...... :ok:

Just need to chuck the Army out of it - mind you the locals might get the hump with some nice noisy jets being based there :E

Dan Gerous
16th Mar 2011, 21:23
Each Brigade has around 60-100 tanks
easily park them all onto a taxi track at Lossie

Nowhere for them to play with up North though, Otterburn being the nearest range of any size.

Heathrow Harry
17th Mar 2011, 09:20
Has anyone noticed that UK & German moorland looks nothing like the desert where we have deployed tanks over the last 20 years???

Tho from a strange angle you can convince yourself that Alnwick looks like Cairo

typerated
17th Mar 2011, 09:35
At least the Air Force is ahead of the game with the sand at Donna Nook and Pembrey!

Shame they are quiet as a mouse these days. No wonder there are rumours about their futures.

philrigger
17th Mar 2011, 10:16
;)

You guys just aren't thinking laterally are you?

Re-open Debden or Hemswell, resurface and extend the runways, new officers' and SNCOs messes, new gynasium, new build MQ and, of course, refurbish and extend all the technical and admin buildings.
Easy.

....and then hand them over to the army!

Phil

Wensleydale
17th Mar 2011, 10:41
Hemswell is now a large antiques centre - it seems more appropriate for the armoured brigades......

diginagain
17th Mar 2011, 10:42
Hemswell is now a large antiques centre ......

People who live in glass houses.................. :cool: