PDA

View Full Version : UK Overflights

Jonny Rocket
10th Mar 2011, 13:59
Hi all

Recently there has been a remarkable lack of westbound transatlantic overflights routing via OTR/NATEB and REMSI/PENIL. It seems that these flights are now routing up the middle of the North Sea and then heading for either Shanwick/Icelandic entry points.
Has there been a major policy change-or similar-to re-route traffic that may normally use the above routes (NAT Tracks permitting) ?
Hope one of the 126.78/126.925/121.32 Controllers can elaborate or advise where further route info. can be found.

Thanks/regards JR ;)

Lon More
10th Mar 2011, 18:15
weather patterns men the tracks are North

Disillusioned
10th Mar 2011, 19:11
Westbound tracks this past week have been unusually southabout, with NAT Track A beginning at as far South as 50N

So, the flights have been either heading way South, or possibly the West coast US/Canada flights have been heading right over the top, and consequently missing the standard OTR/NATEB/Central Scotland route.

Eastbounds, on the other hand, have been coming that way, so if you'd like to get up nice n early, say 5am, you will see your normal westbound flights coming back the NATEB/OTR route. ZZZzzzzz

ZOOKER
10th Mar 2011, 19:19
Jonny,
For the last week or so there has been a blocking high pressure cell over the UK, (very high QNH values), hence the anti-cyclonic gloom and easterly operations at some airports.
Although I haven't seen an upper-wind chart for a week or so, as Lon says, NAT tracks could be set up for a very 'north-about' or southerly flow.
The weather is on the change now, so a return to northern England tracks may be on the cards.
Keep watching the skies, (or the SBS box)!

Jonny Rocket
10th Mar 2011, 19:50
Thanks gents. Let's hope it is the weather. I have never known it so
(Transatlantic) quiet as of recent. Normally there is a steady stream of westbound traffic (KL/LH/DL/AA/CO/UA/AC/USAF to name but a few)
More eastbound traffic seems to cross from the Irish Sea to DOLAS/ENITO/LAMSO rather than NATEB/OTR. Of course, direct routings (when available), tend to alter things as well.
Hopefully, flights will get back to normal before long. It's far too quiet at the moment.

Regards JR

ZOOKER
10th Mar 2011, 20:11
Ah, that's because there is a one-way system over the North Sea and most of the traffic coming through LIFFY is bound for Holland, Germany, Central/Eastern Europe and beyond.
Eastbound traffic generally routes LIFFEY-WAL-MCT-DOLAS, while westbounds go north of this, i.e. OTBED-PENIL, or via LEGRO-NALAX-RIMTO- REMSI.
NE of OTR is the N Sea danger area complex, so eastbounds cannot route that way, unless the danger areas are not in use. In this case westbounds will often route via UL975 and eastbounds via UT29.
Have a nose around the ENR section of the NATS UK AIP site, that should keep you occupied for an evening or two! :ok:

GlobalJourney
12th Mar 2011, 10:23
Hopefully you were watching this morning Zooker and saw that OTR/REMSI/NATEB were back to taking the majority of the TATL traffic again. In fact I don't think I saw a single NAT bound aircraft today that didn't go to one of the sectors you mentioned (126.780 / 121.325).

ZOOKER
12th Mar 2011, 13:23
GlobalJourney,
sadly, Mt. Belzoni has been covered in cloud all day, not seen anything at all high level.
The weather hasn't been the same since they stopped using 'OKTAS'.
Funnily enough, that was about the time that 'global warming' appeared on the political agenda.
That's it!

BRING BACK OKTAS and real weathermen (and women), who knew how to use them.

GlobalJourney
12th Mar 2011, 16:12
Ooops sorry, thought you were the OP, my last post was of course intended for Jonny Rocket.

Jonny Rocket
13th Mar 2011, 09:32
Thanks GJ. Am only a listener and an eyeball watcher atm. Will keep monitoring and hope it was just a weather phenomenon.
Regards JR

Suzeman
23rd Mar 2011, 21:57
Mr Rocket

A site that may be of interest showing the North Atlantic tracks every day

http://www.jetplan.com/tda/west.html

http://www.jetplan.com/tda/east.html

Gives you some idea of where to expect stuff to go

Hope this helps

Suzeman