PDA

View Full Version : Going to the tower. How hard?

CrazryFlying123
8th Mar 2011, 19:45
I apologise in my first instance if I have posted this in the wrong thread.

I was just wondering how hard it is to go to visit a tower like Manchester or something, and if its even possible?

ZOOKER
8th Mar 2011, 19:52
Well, to start with, it all depends on why you want to visit "a tower like Manchester or something".

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Mar 2011, 20:12
Unless you are an aviation professional, e.g. pilot, air traffic controller, or you know an air traffic controller the answer is "very hard". Most major ATC units are highly security conscious and you have to have a very good reason to visit. If you just want to see inside a tower, try a smaller unit where you might have more luck..

SS10
8th Mar 2011, 21:30
Without wishing to contradict any of the previous posts, as somebody who has visited a fair few towers over the last few months I can tell you it isn't difficult.

Basically, ring ATC directly at the unit you want to visit, very politely ask them if, and when it would be convenient and explain why you want to visit and who you are.

I think you will find 99% of the people you speak to will be more than happy for you to visit for a short while.

HD... I personally haven't visited any of the London airports so its possibly a little different down there? The majority of the units I have visited have been non-nats.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Mar 2011, 07:51
SS10.. If your profile is correct you come under the categories I mentioned earlier. Anyone outside those categories might experience problems.

PhiltheReaper
9th Mar 2011, 08:57
I am jolly hoping that it isn't too difficult, as I will be trying to organise some visits before a potential NATS Stage 3.

I think for the most part if you come under the heading of "a pretty legitimate reason" then the ATC Units (from what I've heard) are very accommodating. But if one falls under the category of "random member of the public" or worse "journalist in search for a story" then the doors don't slam faster and harder in the name of security - and rightly so.

My two pence,

Phil

throw a dyce
9th Mar 2011, 12:44
We had some of the Airport rozzers come round for a visit.It all takes time for someone to come out the system and explain things.On leaving the rozzers, instead of going straight out the gate,decided to take a tour of the car park;Checking airport car passes;Checking tax discs.
I'm not sure if they still get to visit,but I'm sure they still tour the car park.:}

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Mar 2011, 15:05
All coppers are.................

John R81
9th Mar 2011, 20:39
Coppers, were you going to say?

betterfromabove
9th Mar 2011, 22:54
Hi

I've actually been trying to arrange a radar/approach unit visit for a little while now, since I've been working in the area of infringements reduction.

Have been trying to line up something at the ATC Global conference this last couple of days, but is there anyone out there who could help me more directly?

Am PPL(A) based in London, so have aviation background, but willing to travel around Southern England/Midlands if need be. Often in Aberdeen, so another possibility.

Obviously, would appreciate the disruption a visit might cause and the time to discuss, but would be very interested to see the real-life working environment at a unit with issues in this area. Am hearing contradictory messages from controllers and ATM professionals on what, if anything, might work at the moment.

Many thanks
BFA.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Mar 2011, 07:01
Betterfromabove. If you are professionally involved in a safety matter, surely it would be better to approach NATS through your employer?

betterfromabove
10th Mar 2011, 21:19
Guys - many thanks for all the responses and so quickly.

Will send some PM's.