PDA

View Full Version : Canada with DUI

boofhead
7th Mar 2011, 22:43
One of my fellow pilots tells me he is unable to enter Canada because he has a DUI from about 4 years back. Is this true? Will they ask/check records? Is it only for entering as crew or also as a pax? If he transits would he still be help up or denied entry? Is there an authority or a place where the rules are posted?

con-pilot
8th Mar 2011, 15:11
Yes, that is true, it matters not if crew or passenger. One can enter Canada with a previous DUI conviction, but it takes a long time to receive approval and even then it is not guaranteed that approval will be granted.

There have been corporate aircraft stranded until a relief pilot could be arranged because one of the pilots had a DUI, in one case 15 years prior. Any person with any felony conviction that has not received special permission to enter, is immediately expelled from Canada.

Oh, it is not just for DUIs, this is true for any felony conviction. In Canada DUIs are considered felonies.

At least this was the law not long ago, it may have changed, so you need to check in any case.

boofhead
9th Mar 2011, 01:39
What would it take and who to contact for relief?

jackcarls0n
9th Mar 2011, 09:15
I should say lucky his flying with a DUI.