View Full Version : Olympic Airpsace Restrictions

Pages : 1 [2]

robin
13th Jun 2011, 15:42
I'd love to but who knows who is listening....!!

mad_jock
14th Jun 2011, 08:07
This thread is quite interesting in the ATC forum.

http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/454180-olympic-airspace-validation.html#post6512069

IO540
14th Jun 2011, 08:21
Yeah... ban business jets.

That will go down well.

PompeyPaul
14th Jun 2011, 17:44
He says we need to think about alternatives to lympic disruption now. No idea what alternative there is to a no fly zone.....

eharding
14th Jun 2011, 23:07
Outstanding.

Really, quite phenomenal.

London 2012 Olympics: Libya gets hundreds of tickets amid fears Colonel Gaddafi will disrupt Games - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/london2012/8575813/London-2012-Olympics-Libya-gets-hundreds-of-tickets-amid-fears-Colonel-Gaddafi-will-disrupt-Games.html)

We ground everything that flies, we have the traffic in London grind to a halt, for two chuffing months, as a precaution against unpleasant regimes and organisations that would seek to do the whole profligate smug-fest harm.

And then we send them some tickets for said smug-fest.

I might go off, and rock backwards and forwards in a corner for a bit.

horatio_b
7th Jul 2011, 20:17
The Airports Slot Allocation (Amendment) Regulations 2011 List of airfields affected by the Olympic restrictions now listed in parliamentary bill. House of Commons Written Ministerial Statements 5 July 2011 (http://services.parliament.uk/hansard/Commons/bydate/20110705/writtenministerialstatements/part006.html) Surprisingly, Headcorn is not included on the list.

IanPZ
7th Jul 2011, 23:06
Bizarrely, neither is Plaistows, which is slap bang in the restricted zone, between London and Luton.

All very confusing!

Red Four
8th Jul 2011, 06:18
Nor Earls Colne or Thurrock

pulse1
8th Jul 2011, 07:00
To be included in the list you have to be strategically placed to be "part of the Government’s strategy to ensure successful delivery of efficient transport services for the 2012 London Olympic games" - like Old Sarum for example.:ugh:

mikehallam
15th Jul 2011, 11:11
It's been too darned quiet for my comfort, or complacency !!

NO FEED-BACK seen from the BMAA, or from the LAA web pages, on WHAT or IF or in fact ANYTHING has happened positive or negative.

The only comment after pushing the LAA was three weeks ago. From: John Brady

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 Subject: Re: Airspace Strategy CAA & DfT
Thanks Mike,
Roger H and others are in the Secretary of State's office talking about Olympics as I write!
John

Frankly I can only see this silence as HMG dping B. All till the MP's go off on Hol's, then on them returning in October to nod through a Bill which completely negates any of our supplications.

Unless you know better ????
mike hallam

Milton1995
1st Aug 2011, 19:12
Remind me to check my weight & CofG in the C152 after loading my several missiles and rifles.

I also may want the aerobat, seeing as those extra couple of knots (maybe 110!) are definately going to help me cover the 25 miles undetected to the olympic stadium, and to out manouvere the 5 eurofighters neutralising the huge threat i pose.

If anyone was unsure, that is sarcasm. No need to scramble your fighter jets and secret services on me. Perhaps you could save the money and find someone competent.

Rant over.

BHenderson
13th Aug 2011, 21:55
THE RT. HON. THERESA VILLIERS
Minister of State for Transport says:

Your constituent has raised doubts about the ability of the current air traffic control infrastructure to cope with the anticipated additional demand that will result from the proposed airspace control measures. However, significant enhancements to existing Lower Airspace Radar Service (LARS) capacity are already planned for the Games period in order to facilitate flying within the Restricted Zone in accordance with the temporary control measures.

Further, work is also underway to establish a flight plan reception process aimed at meeting the increased demand that will be placed on the current Assisted Flight Plan Exchange (AFPEx) system during the Games period.

As part of this process we are currently looking to organise a "File a flight plan" day, whereby all airspace users will be encouraged to file a flight plan on a single day in order to test the robustness of the AFPEx system to meet the anticipated increased demand.

This will have the dual benefits of encouraging leisure pilots to register for an AFPEx account in advance of the Games, and also allow us to check the quality of the flight plans submitted. This will enable us to see where further training might usefully be provided to assist users in the completion of accurate flight plans in the run up to the Games.

Our plans already include a degree of flexibility. We will consider the case for further flexibility so long as our security objectives are not compromised. DfT officials and the other agencies involved are currently collating a number of suggestions and proposals, such as that highlighted by your constituent on the issue of student cross country flights, which have been raised in face to face meetings with airports and members of the general aviation community.

We welcome their engagement in this process. Their representations will be assessed collectively as a whole, before final decisions are made on the secondary legislation needed to implement the restrictions.

I hope that this clarifies the Government's position. Thank you for taking the time to draw the concerns of your constituent to my attention.

It would seem that representatives of the GA community are failing to communicate with the rest of us.

BEagle
14th Aug 2011, 07:11
It would seem that representatives of the GA community are failing to communicate with the rest of us.

In what way? Do you belong to either AOPA or LAA? If so, have you taken the opportunity to raise any concerns for them to take forward on your behalf?

The Olympic restrictions are now far less severe than first mooted.