PDA

View Full Version : New Flybe Mpl Sponsorship Course

CharlieFly
7th Mar 2011, 13:03
FTE-FLYBE PART SPONSOR MPL
Flight Training Europe Jerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/forms/flybe/flybe.php)

Terms & Conditions
A message from Captain Ian Baston, Chief Pilot
Welcome to the Partially Sponsored Airline Pilot Scheme and MPL course run in conjunction with Flybe, one of Europe’s leading regional airlines. I am Captain Ian Baston, Chief Pilot, charged by the airline to manage the recruitment of flight deck crews. The Partially Sponsored scheme has been developed with our training partner, Flight Training Europe, to provide a source of quality pre-selected pilots to crew our Bombardier Q400 aircraft. You will undertake training under the Multi-crew Pilots Licence (MPL) route to the right hand seat of a Flybe Q400. This course has been specifically designed to teach you all of the key elements necessary for you to successfully transition to a Flybe flightdeck.
During your training in Jerez, your progress will be mentored throughout the course by the Flybe Liaison Pilot, First Officer David Howie. As the final phase of this course, students will undergo a fully Flybe funded Q400 Type Rating course.
In addition to the support outlined in the above paragraph, those successful for the Partially Sponsored Airline Scheme will receive an additional sponsorship from Flybe of GBP £19,800.00, repayable out of salary over the first five years of employment.
Selection will follow the same format and battery of tests as in previous Flybe/FTE schemes. The top six candidates will be offered positions on the course to commence training at Jerez on 1st of July 2011.
The prospects within the airline for pilot progression are excellent and allow for faster than average progress into the Commander’s seat.
May I take this opportunity to wish you every success with your application and the selection process.
Ian Baston
Chief Pilot
Flybe
Schemes Description
The Partially Sponsored Airline Pilot Scheme is well established as a Flybe/FTE cooperative program for low hour entry to Flybe. This is a great opportunity for people who want to be involved in working in a fast paced, hi-tech airline that offers significant opportunities and benefits to its staff.
Flybe operate the Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 aircraft, which is an extraordinarily modern technology turboprop. The Q400 offers comfort for up to 78 passengers with a maximum cruise speed of 370 kts. Its combination of speed, comfort and fuel economy allows it to compete effectively with any jet on an airline route less than 500 miles (800 km).

Candidate Profile
We are looking for high calibre, motivated individuals who are keen to work for one of Europe’s largest regional airlines.
To be eligible for this scheme you must have a minimum of 2 A-Level passes, Grade C or above (or equivalent), and have 5 GSCE passes including Maths, English and a Science subject at Grade C or above, as well as the right to live and work in the UK.
Student Involvement
If successful you will have to fund FTE’s MPL programme.
The price for this course is GBP79,000. Candidates may elect to pay in either Euros or Sterling. Please contact FTE if you would like details of the Euro price.
The price is inclusive of the following:
Accommodation and Full Board
Full uniform (except shoes)
1st attempt, ground and flying JAR exams
Renewal of the JAA Class One Medical
All training material
Landing and navigation fees
Free Internet access
No additional accommodation charge in the unlikely event of delay in training due to adverse weather
VAT
FTE can assist with advice on finance options.
Benefit to the student
Throughout the training, the Flybe student’s performance will not only be monitored by FTE’s training team, but there will also be an oversight by Flybe’s assigned liaison Pilot.
If successful throughout the training at FTE no further selection will be required by Flybe and you will flow straight into a Q400 type rating course as a part of the MPL training.
Selection Timescales and Travel
Candidates will be able to apply from the 7-20th March 2011 inclusive. Should you meet initial criteria you will be forwarded, via email, a series of questions, which must be returned within the specified period.
Should your application be successful in progressing to the next phase you will be required to travel, at your own expense, to Flybe’s headquarters at Exeter. Currently this one day selection phase is expected to take place between the 9th–12th April inclusive.
The final element of the selection process will be a Flybe airline interview. This will, once again, take place in Exeter between the 3rd and 5th May inclusive.
Feedback
Throughout the selection process, you will be advised as to whether or not your application has been progressed to the next stage. However, due to the large number of applications, neither Flybe nor Flight Training Europe will be in a position to give individual detailed feedback on your performance.

Poeli
7th Mar 2011, 13:09
Straight to Q400? guaranteed if you succeed?

CharlieFly
7th Mar 2011, 13:12
If successful throughout the training at FTE no further selection will be required by Flybe and you will flow straight into a Q400 type rating course as a part of the MPL training.

Thats what is says! Just cutting and pasting from the website!

giggitygiggity
7th Mar 2011, 18:18
OAA, PTC and now FTE. The scheme looks good, but why won't Flybe settle on one FTO?

CharlieFly
7th Mar 2011, 18:55
They use all of them including CabAir to get a constant flow of pilots

barker987
8th Mar 2011, 15:17
do you have to have a minimum of 60 hours flying time,as i was looking at this course for when i leave school but i am doing my ppl at the moment and when i get it i want to be able to fly with it

PilotUnknown
10th Mar 2011, 23:18
So what are everyone's views on the MPL? I've got to say I feel a little mixed. I'm not sure I like the idea of being restricted to the multi-pilot crew only.

Adios
11th Mar 2011, 22:18
You don't need any experience. 60 hours is the maximum experience that Flybe allows for those who have some.

PilotUnknown - Tell me what single-piloted airliner you would like to fly instead of a multi-piloted one? I don't of any that exist! An MPL unfreezes under the exact criteria that a CPL/IR does. The requirements for an MPL holder to move to another airline are identical to the requirements for a CPL/IR holder to move.

The only thing you have to fear is the airline going bust before you get the licence. You'd have the same fear if you were doing a CPL/IR. Flybe require the FTO to agree to fund a conversion to CPL/IR if the CAA pulls the plug on MPL or if Flybe go bust before the MPL cadets get their licence. So either you end up with an MPL and a job with Flybe or a CPL/IR and hunting for a job with the FTO's backing. That's not a whole lot different than your odds of doing it off your own back without being tagged, except Flybe happens to be quite a financially sound airline, so probably a good bet they won't go bust.

stuckgear
11th Mar 2011, 23:04
If successful you will have to fund FTE’s MPL programme.
The price for this course is GBP79,000.

http://www5.cockytalk.com/images/smilies/ROTFL.gif

Can anyone give an answer to the desire to start an MPL program ?

here's a tip, is there shortage right now of pilots, cadets, low time, high time, with time on type, or willing to spring for a TR looking for a right seat job?

anyone who goes for an MPL should keep a few pounds back for a ball gag and gimp mask to go along with it.

Superpilot
12th Mar 2011, 07:58
Dear Captain Baston,

Thank you (yet again) for ignoring the 1000+ unemployed, fully qualified young British pilots who have been waiting for you to open up your doors for years. No, you don't owe anyone anything - that is certainly true. But one thing you are surely guilty of is joining the club of the toffee nosed elitest mob (well founded already at BA, EZ, Monarch etc) who seem to think that any pilot trained outside of prison (I mean integrated flight school) is of sh*t quality.

Regards

go around flaps15
12th Mar 2011, 14:14
Absolutely well said Superpilot. I know a lot of very capable unemployed pilots who just cannot get a job.

Either because they are discrimated through age, cannot pay for a type rating or did'nt go and do a fancy mpl course at an extortionate cost.

What an industry.

dingbat2407
12th Mar 2011, 14:29
Again, couldn't agree more. There are thousands of fully qualified pilots out there who are currently either unemployed or working as a part time flight instructor or flying light twins who have been waiting patiently for the past 4 years for an airline job. It is so disheartening to see these schemes start up, its positive in a way because it probably means airlines are thinking business will increase soon and they need pilots for expansion but when you have been slogging away for 4 years in an underpaid flying job just waiting for the opportunity to even show yourself in front of an interview panel it sucks. When there are thousands of already qualified guys out there why are they looking to train more to fill future vacancies??????:ugh:

volunteerpilot
12th Mar 2011, 14:36
Its the same in all industries, if you graduated from Oxford or Cambridge etc. you will be a top dog. Everything else is treated as a second class education. Sadly.

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
12th Mar 2011, 15:39
I don't think the plug will be blocked by a few MPL or CPL/IR students being taken into the company in well over a year from now. Sure as hell didn't back in 2006/7. As things pick up pilots will leave Flybe. Then the doors will have to re-open. Its just a matter of when. The CPL/IR does not include a TR. The MPL does....its part of getting a MPL license. Thus it's as near a sure thing of employment that it could be. more so than the CPl/IR. Plagues of locusts and the like permitting etc etc.

As for Ball gags and the like......had a recent nightstop in BKK have we??

angelorange
12th Mar 2011, 18:31
The "approved/intergrated" schools are NOT Oxford and Cambridge!!!!!

Just because you paid absolute top dollar (or GBP/Euro) for your training does not mean it was the best!

I must say I was surprised to see a letter in a recent Flight magazine where a former CTC cadet was claiming he was superbly trained to handle any JAR 25 Aircraft flight upset because he had done around 4 hours in a mildly aerobatic light aeroplane way back in 2006 which was somehow much better than a new KLM proposal to send student to Arizona for a dedicated course in that very subject!

At least KLM recognise the need for such training (they used to own Aerobatic T67 Fireflies for their in house training some years back) based on recent tragic events in other airlines.

The EASA MPL does not require any solo time - so potentially the first time an MPL graduate flies solo it will be a real emergency.

That TR will be tied in to a specific Airlines SOPs so it is not directly transferable to other airlines. Note that Flybe expect to take that £20k out of your low salary which is payment on top of the £80k you front up to the school

So all in all it's a good route for both the School's and the Airline accountants' balance sheets! But not so good for your own financial long term health.

jersey145
12th Mar 2011, 19:02
Well if airlines what ab-initio students on schemes they have two choices in there minds. Take CPL/IR ab-initio 200 hours with only 50 hours actually spent alone in an aircraft, learning to fly single pilot ops on pistons. Or, 240 hour students who have been imersed in the world of complex swept wing high performance multi-pilot ops(albeit simulated)....exactly where they are about to find themselves after completing the basic and inermediate phases.....hmmm i wonder what they will go for. Not that i'm saying CPl/IR is inferior in any way what so ever. But if airlines what minimal risk in terms of training, bringing students into employment, I think the MPL will gain significant momentum.

There is some solo time included in MPL and upset training on the Flybe course.

There is a pdf about why the MPL is here on the Flybe recruitment page.

If the MPL route is inferior.....why have the CAA issues the first licenses already??

Will I die if my Capt dies??? no. has another pilot died or been incap'd whilst line flying......not on my ship. We train for pilot incap in the sim. thats the last time I 'flew solo' for a long time. We tend to be living longer as humans....a bugger for early retirement, short of winning the lotto!

Put1992
13th Mar 2011, 18:55
The EASA MPL does not require any solo time - so potentially the first time an MPL graduate flies solo it will be a real emergency.

Sure the base requirements don't have any solo time, but I bet my bollacks to a barn dance that every integrated school the MPL is run at puts a fair bit of solo time into the syllabus.

Clutching straws really, aren't we.

PilotUnknown
13th Mar 2011, 19:53
Adios - There are several trilanders flights who currently only have one pilot! There are at least two airlines who operate these trilanders from the channel islands alone.

Also if the s%$t ever hit the fan and you were made redundant it would be good to have the choice of taking on jobs like glider towing or other single pilot - non airline jobs.

I'd be interested to know what you could / would need to do to get this restriction lifted from your license and how much it would cost!

Wirbelsturm
13th Mar 2011, 19:59
joining the club of the toffee nosed elitest mob (well founded already at BA, EZ, Monarch etc)

Yawn,

Oddly enough it is only the SSP cadets who have to have been to 'integrated' to join BA. There are many who joined from a integrated (HR wished it to be so) whilst their mates from various other sources (modular, self improvers, military etc.) went to other outfits. Then their mates joined BA as DEP's from those outfits when the minimum critera were met and leap frogged the SSP guys on the payscales. There are many, many FO's in BA from a whole variety of backgrounds recruited over the past 5 years or so.

Careful what you preach as its mostly twaddle.

mina625
14th Mar 2011, 08:15
Anyway...

Do you have any idea on how important is the 3 days deadline, for answering the questions? within 3 days...

that means If you activate your links on wednesday morning and you send your answers on Saturday at noon, you're off?

Superpilot
14th Mar 2011, 11:56
Yawn,

Oddly enough it is only the SSP cadets who have to have been to 'integrated' to join BA. There are many who joined from a integrated (HR wished it to be so) whilst their mates from various other sources (modular, self improvers, military etc.) went to other outfits. Then their mates joined BA as DEP's from those outfits when the minimum critera were met and leap frogged the SSP guys on the payscales. There are many, many FO's in BA from a whole variety of backgrounds recruited over the past 5 years or so.

Careful what you preach as its mostly twaddle.

Uhhm, I think we all know that. Read properly and you shall see this is all in context of low hours (i.e. fresh grad) recruitment.

Wirbelsturm
14th Mar 2011, 12:02
this is all in context of low hours (i.e. fresh grad) recruitment.

The thread might well be but your post wasn't.

Anyway, enough thread creep, I'll leave you all to your musings.

wayupthere
14th Mar 2011, 12:31
For anyone considering MPL, just remember most airlines won't accept the licence and if you ever wish to move on to other airliners most won't even look at you

rogerg
14th Mar 2011, 15:21
As discussed on the Easy mpl thead you can end up with a normal ALTP once you have reached 1500 hrs.

jersey145
15th Mar 2011, 15:06
For anyone considering MPL, just remember most airlines won't accept the licence and if you ever wish to move on to other airliners most won't even look at you

Absolute tosh! where is there any shred of evidence for this? Sterling? No one even knew what the licence entailed back then so no wonder, regardless Sterling funded the conversion back to CPl/IR. But still not a great start, agreed. Then again getting involved with such a dodgy operator that had the contuinual threat of impounding by a certain UK airport for non-payment of fees may indicate a certain lack of research on the part of those unfortuanate cadets.

Given the amount of interest generated by the first licences being issued by other airlines, at a certain recruitment fair and expos that happen around europe every year, most airlines have a good idea of exactly what the MPL entails. If the big-boys like Easy are starting a MPL scheme any MPL cadet that unfreezes has a shot at moving on. Of course if you came across as a CRM or HR disaster during interview/assesment you have no shot of a move up, regardless of holding an ATPL of CPL/IR or MPL.

Wanna get a job? make sure you are the shiniest product on the shelf for the times the airlines go 'shopping'. Oh and any route into professional flying entails a certain amount of risk and a gamble. Timing counts for a lot, make sure your crystal ball has good signal!

PilotUnknown
16th Mar 2011, 00:09
Jersey,

It's good to have a few people who have a positive reply on this forum! It's a hard choice for any budding pilot on his way to ATPL.

I'm looking into this scheme myself and will make sure I do my own research if I get any further in the proceedings. £80,000 is a lot for anyone to invest, the only restriction after you get your ATPL is being required to fly multi-pilot. Yes it's a shame there is this limit in place but for 99% of people this won't cause a problem (from reading these forums).

My advice from an outside point of view would be to apply for this scheme, it can't hurt and you may even get some experience in the following stages if you are lucky enough to get through the various stages.

From my current point of view if I had two 'tagged' or 'part sponsored' offers one MPL and the other ATPL I'd take the ATPL route. This is mostly I'd be keen to do some bush flying, and other single pilot operations at some point. Maybe If I wanted to travel and work a bit for a year or two (after I un-froze my ATPL).

irishpilot1990
16th Mar 2011, 00:48
jersey145 if it was only as simple as that!! very few airlines go down MPL route and there must be a reason for it? hence why when you change the MPL to an ATPL other airlines will still raise eyebrows!

rogerg
16th Mar 2011, 08:49
very few airlines go down MPL route and there must be a reason for it?

The reason is that the concept is very new. The first UK graduates have only just joined flybe, give it a few years and who knows?

jez d
16th Mar 2011, 13:43
very few airlines go down MPL route and there must be a reason for it?

There are two key reasons why airlines have been slow to get involved in the MPL, neither of which have anything to do with the end product.

The first reason is that forecasting pilot demand 18 months into the future is 17 months and two weeks too far ahead for most airlines' HR departments.

The second reason is down to the number of takeoffs and landings required in the aircraft before a pilot gets his licence - OK in a relatively cheap to operate Dash 8 - not so OK in a more expensive Boeing or Airbus.

Adios
20th Mar 2011, 09:14
Jez D,

Are you serious? Do you really think airlines aren't rushing to MPL schemes because MPL base training requires 12 T&Gs instead of six and this is too expensive? What do you want to bet this requirement reduces to six T&Gs in a few years once MPL is tried and tested. LASORS makes it clear that the syllabus will evolve as the industry gains experience with MPL.

I'd say the reason airlines haven't been rushing to setup MPL cadet schemes is because they haven't been rushing to setup any cadet schemes at all. The UK airline that has had a sizeable cadet scheme of any type the past 2-3 years is Flybe. They still run CPL/IR schems as well as MPL since they like to use 3-4 FTOs, not all of which offer MPL training.

You are correct that very few airlines seem to look far enough ahead to realize that locking in a source of pilots in advance might be a good idea, but this doesn't explain why they opt for MPL cadets over the thousands of unemployed licence holders already out there.

jez d
21st Mar 2011, 11:09
Are you serious?

Absolutely. Virgin, for one, have said exactly that.

Otto Throttle
21st Mar 2011, 11:48
Virgin? Wow, really?

How many ab-initio pilots do Virgin recruit? Not exactly the most credible 'experts' on training brand new airline cadets are they.

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
21st Mar 2011, 23:17
Otto,

You beat me to it!

CharlieFly
22nd Mar 2011, 00:56
Where, when and Why did Virgin say this?

chromeo
22nd Mar 2011, 13:58
MPL students and ATPL students are in the exact same classrooms, sit the same written exams and do pretty much the same training right up until the end. At a flying school, you will have no idea who is doing MP and who is doing ATPL.

As for the question on picking a single training school, it is good business practice to have more than one supplier - it keeps them competitive.

With the Flybe scheme, I hope this is of some help:

Reply in any time frame that is mentioned, you will get booted out of the selection process if you are late with anything
Take time over answering the competence-based questions. Try and think of more than "my football team" or the like, the school/airline will have seen these responses 1000s of times (literally) and can pick out an average response in seconds and place it in the "bin" pile. They really do read all replies, no matter what nonsense you have been told about "random selection".
Make sure you can do all the example questions FTE send you with one hand tied behind your back and one eye shut, dont assume anything on the examples wont be in the test
Don't plan on the sponsorship from Flybe forming part of your funding for the school, it doesn't pay you before you are there, in fact its closer to the end than the start
Hitting less than 90% in any JAR exam doesn't bode well for your future in Flybe
As always, with the FTE "special rate" scheme you need a property to secure any loan against and the property must have more than 60% equity including any loan taken, eg a £200k property cannot have more than a £40,000 mortgage. You cannot secure a flying school loan on a property valued at less than £134,000 with zero mortgage, or on a commercial property.

chromeo
22nd Mar 2011, 14:17
yes probably was! by the very end, i meant when it comes to the simulator. I think you are referring to the time in type-rating comparing sim with real-life?

jez d
25th Mar 2011, 09:41
Apologies, have been in IT blackout for the last few days. Rather nice for a change.

My mistake. When I said Virgin I of course meant Cathay ! It was at an RAeC flight training conference in 2008, if I remember correctly, that a Cathay representative publicly stated that they were interested in adopting the MPL, but wouldn't on grounds of cost of 12 T&Gs.

And, yes, I'm well aware that Cathay are hardly the world's largest employers of ab-initio pilots, but the murmurs of agreement from many other airline representatives present at the conference clearly indicated that this is an issue.

The more relevant issue, however, remains - namely that HR departments are, on the whole, unwilling to forecast pilot requirement eighteen months into the future.

The fact that easyJet have now decided to go down the MPL route is a most interesting development. I await the usual "they're only doing this so they can further erode T&Cs" observations. But I, for one, can only see this as a good sign.

Denti
25th Mar 2011, 10:19
MPL is fairly new, however there are some major airlines that go down this route for the last couple years. For example Lufthansa, Air Berlin, and partways Swiss. No clue about Air France/KLM though.

PilotUnknown
28th Mar 2011, 12:25
Has anyone heard back from Flybe / FTE or does anyone know when to expect to hear back from them? It's getting close to the stage 3 now.

I guess if i've not heard back from them yet, it could be bad news.

Albanian Seahorse
28th Mar 2011, 14:32
I received a reply today... literally 4 minutes after the time of your post!

BackTrack14
28th Mar 2011, 14:35
I know of 2 people who applied and heard back from FTE on Friday. I'm still waiting to hear regarding my application. Will give it unitl COB today and then fear the worst :{

Good luck all

PilotUnknown
28th Mar 2011, 15:18
Can you confirm the method you recieved the reply? Email, phone, post?Post is always a day or two late here, but if its a phone call / email I might just be further down the list. Might need to check my spam folder if it's by email.

Albanian Seahorse
28th Mar 2011, 16:06
'Twas by email...

PilotUnknown
28th Mar 2011, 22:25
A check of my emails and spam shows to reply yet. Guess I'll have to wait a day or two more.

shetlander
29th Mar 2011, 13:47
Anyone else not able to get on to the

FTE | Pilot Training | Flight School | Become a Pilot | Pilot School (http://www.ftejerez.com/)

website? :ugh:

giggitygiggity
29th Mar 2011, 16:08
Their website is working fine from here. Try it again, it was probably temporarily down.

PilotUnknown
2nd Apr 2011, 22:14
Finally heard back from FTE on Thursday of last week by phone. Good news all round!

PilotUnknown
9th Apr 2011, 14:35
It would be interesting to hear back from people on how this went for them. I believe today should have been the first day of the tests.

Poeli
18th Apr 2011, 15:46
I agree, can anyone provide some feedback to the forums?:ok:

PilotUnknown
18th Apr 2011, 19:40
Poeli,

Were you at stage 3? if so what days were you down there?

Poeli
19th Apr 2011, 04:23
No I wasn't there, I am only asking the same info as you:ok:

PilotUnknown
19th Apr 2011, 23:42
I was there later on of stage 3.

Apparently about 200 people applied, and 30 made stage 3 for the written and computer based exams which were followed by an interview from the rep. of TFE.

Stage 3 people were selected based on the stage 2 responses, this included marking each question out of 5 I believe and points for meeting the deadline of 3 days. I'm not sure if you responded after the 3 days if you were ruled out or not.

Not too much to report on for the day, there was 4 written and 4 computer based tests with the final interview at the end, the process took about 5-6 hours.

There seems to be a lot of RAF guys or people who had placements with the RAF later on in the year who had lost their jobs. There also seemed to be several students who had just finished studying for an Aviation degree.

Currently there is no news on stage 4 but hope to hear back soon.

onestepaway
20th Apr 2011, 13:18
I have heard from a friend - they applied for this and have got through to Phase 4 - the interview. They heard yesterday.
I am in touch with one on the current course and he has enjoyed the course - very intense but worth it. Not too long until he finishes now (applying for the sponsorship this time last year). He completes his TR in Exeter around Aug/Sept time and then starts work for Flybe soon after.

Regulation 6
22nd Apr 2011, 09:27
Sounds good and all the best to your friend for the remainder of his course; I'm sure he must be enjoying it.

Just out of interest, was it explained to him what would happen if he failed at any stage? Or if FLYBE suddenly decided they didn't want him for whatever reason? i.e. do FTE have any kind of guarantee scheme like OAA, or would your friend's (bank's) money just disappear into the Andalucian sunset?

flyinthesky80
24th Apr 2011, 13:13
So what would the student need to pay, 79k or 79k-19.8k?

Gleavage
6th May 2011, 16:12
Had the 4th stage interview yesterday and had a reply today. Didn't get in :{

Good luck to the guys who did get through :)

chromeo
11th May 2011, 17:43
So what would the student need to pay, 79k or 79k-19.8k?

read my post in this thread which explained this exact question

VirginRating
22nd Dec 2011, 18:47
Hi guys,

After applying for the scheme when they opened it for applications again on the 16th, I've been invited back for the third phase.

Does anyone have any more advise on the selection process and the risks/benefits of the MPL course?

When exactly do you get the part sponsorship of £19,800.00? After you've completely finished the course at FTE and begin the type rating?

lmalyon
22nd Dec 2011, 19:58
If its the same as previous years BE give u the 20K to pay towards the 85K FTE fee and pay for your type rating

You pay back the 20K to BE once working over 5 years

Not ideal but the best going atm

lmalyon
22nd Dec 2011, 20:03
Sorry I have completely miss read your question, doesn’t bode well for the verbal reasoning test :ugh:

I have no idea when you get the 20K would imagine before you start

aviofreek
12th Feb 2012, 13:33
I really can't believe there are people who think about, let alone, actually pay that much money for something that's called a "pilot license" but it doesn't entitle you to fly an aircraft.

I won't go into details of how wrong it actually is and why. You can easily find that out by opening other threads on the MPL subject.

But just to compare... You can get a full EASA CPL/ME/IR f ATPL that entitles you to fly anywhere and anything (two terms used loosely just to prove a point) for reward for about 50000 euro (even less if you do FAA to JAA route or if you do it in another country other than UK/IRE). And to all of you with your eyes wide open and gobs hitting the table - YES PEOPLE, YES! There are other countries in Europe where you can do your flight training!

Oh yeah, can't finish the post without going back to one of the previous posts. The one saying that MPL ATPL after unfreezing is the same as CPL ATPL, "but you just can't fly alone"

Hahahaahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahahah hahahahahhahaha :D :ugh:

howflytrg
12th Feb 2012, 15:43
Yet again aviofreek, they have flying positions on aircraft, you don't. You look after blocked toilets. How often have i used my single pilot privs? Never, not once since training. They have long since lapsed. What was the point? Other than military flying, cpl/ir was the only route. GA has been dead for years in europe, not to mention the uk.

Mods, a troll he is, but aviofeek does amuse me still. Keep him alive, i like bull fighting, a slow death, entertaining to the last. Will the bull win? Hardly ever.

aviofreek
13th Feb 2012, 09:01
Woow, that must have been the bullseye I hit with my little rant there... You seem to have got it quite personally. Not only you've taken the time to look up my profile, but a little devil on your shoulder (or should I say chip) made you look up all the posts I made and you just had to make your own little contribution....

You know, keeping a cool head will make you a better pilot...

Oh yeah... One other thing... Considering you're an ATPL.... And considering your attitude... Are you late often?

skyways1452
15th Feb 2012, 21:30
Has anyone heard back yet?

EZY_FR
15th Feb 2012, 21:37
Hi all!

I missed the opportunity in December to get my application in before the deadline due to other important commitments (family) taking place in my life at the time.

Considering that the airline industry is currently not in a great position, is there even a remote possibility that this scheme could reopen within the next year?

jeehaa
8th Apr 2013, 12:01
Emails have been sent to participants of the 'sponsorship': Flybe has withdrawn and the sponsorship stops

average-punter
8th Apr 2013, 12:45
My condolences to all those on the FTE course, and of course all of those at Flybe who risk losing their jobs. I've said before on this forum that from my limited dealings with Flybe it seems like a fantastic place to be.

Tennisten: no idea about Stella but the course with CTC is still on track, the cadets have been in NZ for about 2 weeks now.

mad_jock
8th Apr 2013, 15:07
I can't see any of the courses continuing.

If they did there would be a huge court action from the pilots being made redundant, for constructive dismissal. Who knows if it would work or not. But potentially with 70-80 in this round and more than likely more to follow it could be devastating to an already troubled company.

I suspect the legal issues with the training contracts are being looked at. Its just that the FTE one was relatively easy to get out of.

Not that it helps matters but my thoughts are with the guys/girls that have been affected.

BAe 146-100
8th Apr 2013, 18:14
I wonder if this means all cadets have been withdrawn i.e the ones who started last year or just recent cadets?

mad_jock
11th Apr 2013, 07:12
If a post has been made redundant you can't fill it for at least a year.

And a type rating course is about 20-30k after you have included HOTAC and the other bits and Bobs.

There is going to be an explosion of posts on here when they eventually get round to sorting it out. Either from the people being made redundant or from the cadets who are going to be stuck half way through a course with no way of completing. And only choice is to either stump up 20-30K to complete the normal way or write off what they have payed already.

The schools won't want them to go because that will be a serious hit to the turnover and also will leave huge holes in the training pipeline with resources not being productive.

So they will want the cadets to train up to the point when the money payed so far has run out then the crunch will start.

It will be 6-9 months before you will see anything when they have all completed the theory and single engine stages of flight training. Then they will be handed the bill. And also they will have to find the money for a rating with someone else.

The morals of all this make me sick.

goaround737
16th Apr 2013, 10:03
Forgive me if this has already been covered, i haven’t read this thread recently.

Would i be correct in saying tha there are still people interested in this scheme, despite the axing going on at flybe at the moment?

I find it hard to believe (and a sad reflection on the industry) that people are willing to stump up all that money to finish up with a licence that has extremely limited scope for usage outside flybe. Added to this is the very real threat that there will be no job at the end of it??