PDA

View Full Version : FI Rating - pre-entry reading?

max_continuous
3rd Mar 2011, 15:24
Hi all,

I am hoping to start an FI rating in April/May-time and was looking for some advice on worthwhile books to read before the course.

I have done a search and found some useful threads here giving advice to newly qualified FIs (very inspiring and some great advice), but I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations for books etc.

Thanks.

Cloud Chaser
3rd Mar 2011, 16:05
Pooleys - Instructor Manuals (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_list.cfm?product_category_id=2&product_sub_category_id=87&menuHold=8)

Would recommend:
Flight Instructors Manual by R.D. Campbell
The Flying Instructor's Patter Manual (to help you at the start until you develop your own style)
and the Woodgate or Pooleys own (oddly not on this page) pre-flight briefing manual.

These only cover the pre-flight briefing and airbourne lessons.

Enjoy the course, most enjoyable and constructive course I've ever done! :ok:

Duchess_Driver
3rd Mar 2011, 16:20
Each FI instructor will have his own notes for you... contact the school and chat with the FIC instructor and get his opinion.

Not a big fan of the Patter Manual myself... develop what your own style and words based around the way your FIC instructor wants you to present the material.

Certainly CAA Document Standards 10 should be a compulsory read - and make sure that non of the questions in the back cause you too much difficulty.

If you're an insomniac - the ANO. LASORS and JAR FCL are also worth flicking through. Might even go so far as to recommend you buy your own copy of LASORS for handy reference.

Campbell and Pooleys.... well, if you must - but certainly not essential in my view.

Cheers

HTH

DD

Whopity
3rd Mar 2011, 16:30
This one (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/book.htm) is probably the most useful.

RTN11
3rd Mar 2011, 17:52
As well as the Instructor manual, simply re-reading book 1 from the PPL course will help a lot. Getting to know each exercise and what is covered, and the order it is covered in.

Also, know your law very well. You need to be able to recall facts and figures with ease. Particularly VFR rules, licence privileges and how to renew/re-validate ratings.

blagger
3rd Mar 2011, 18:29
Wouldnt bother with Campbell or the Patter manual - brought both and I've never used them really. On Track manual is the best you can get I think, although as others have said make sure your FI course doesn't have their own notes instead.

If you know what ac you will be doing course in I'd also recommend a really good read of the POH - know all the proper techniques, systems and speeds etc..

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Mar 2011, 18:58
I have trained a number of CPL's for the FI rating. One universal weak area was knowledge of aerodynamic theory. You need to fully understand lift/drag/stabilty theory and basic forumula. There are several good books out there as well as a wealth of good info on the net.

VFE
3rd Mar 2011, 20:36
I would recommend reading the book about instructing by Claire someone or other (instructs at Barton) forget her name.... good book about the job, and how to be the best you can. Anyone know the one I mean? I found it a great way to get a heads up start for when I had qualified.

Personally wouldn't bother with any technical books, stick to what your FIC instructor tells you.

VFE.

Ryan5252
3rd Mar 2011, 20:40
I have trained a number of CPL's for the FI rating. One universal weak area was knowledge of aerodynamic theory. You need to fully understand lift/drag/stabilty theory and basic forumula. There are several good books out there as well as a wealth of good info on the net.

BPF - While I currently have a mountain of books to currently read over I would be much appreciative if you could possibly suggest one or two which you particulary recommend?

Ryan

VFE
3rd Mar 2011, 20:46
A PPL book on the topic would suffice!

For further knowledge then refer back to your ATPL PoF notes.

VFE.

The Flying Chicken
4th Mar 2011, 05:27
I would say stick with the PPL books and learn how to write on a board in a straight line... And possibly learn how to draw an aerofoil without making it look like a sperm-whale.

Whopity
4th Mar 2011, 07:54
A PPL book on the topic would suffice!
Resulting in what is known as the Classic Pooleys Brief. A first class diagram on the board but the person drawing it doesn't understand WHY they are doing it. The Ontrack book explains all the Teaching Points relating to an exercise, something that is missed out in most of the other publications.

GingerFI
4th Mar 2011, 10:37
I personally think RD campbells FI book is an absolute bible- although slightly out of date, the content is hugely useful. Doc 10 is well worth a look through. Make sure you know exactly what your privileges as an FI(r) are as well as the privileges of the licenses/ratings which you will be teaching for.

Seconded on the aerodynamics, alot of the time students ask questions which are very simple to answer but every once in a while a curveball is thrown in and you need to know your stuff!

Also you'll learn alot on the FI course, but a hell of alot once you start teaching.
Enjoy it.

max_continuous
4th Mar 2011, 10:52
All,

Thanks ever so much for the input, it's hugely appreciated!

I will get busy going through a couple of your suggestions.

Looking forward to getting started now, thanks again.

Nearly There
4th Mar 2011, 19:10
VFE, Claire Hatton 'You Have Control' is the book your thinking of I think.

Pitch+Power
6th Mar 2011, 20:22
learn how to draw an aerofoil without making it look like a sperm-whale

made me laugh.. drawn a few of those :D

Big Pistons Forever
6th Mar 2011, 20:51
BPF - While I currently have a mountain of books to currently read over I would be much appreciative if you could possibly suggest one or two which you particulary recommend?

Ryan

"An illustrated guide to Aerodynamics" by H. Smith is the book I use and tell all my FI students to get. It is written in plain english and has lots of good diagrams. It is also concentrates on the aerodynamic theory applicable to light piston powered aircraft.

VFE
7th Mar 2011, 18:42
Nice plug for On Track there Whopity! I was assuming our potential FI has already passed the theoretical knowledge examinations required for issue of a CPL and as such has the required knowledge of PPL level theory (and then some) albeit, may be slightly rusty. It is vital that anyone wishing undertake a course of study reliant upon effective communication avoids confusing matters by attempting to learn the course before they even start it, hence a PPL book to 'refresh' would probably get things moving in the right direction without making matters harder for the FIC instructor who may have their own methods to impart the teaching skills aspect....

VFE.

PS: Thanks, 'Nearly There'. :)

Ty-Fry-Typhoon
8th Mar 2011, 06:29
I bought the Flight Instructors Manual by R.D. Campbell before my course and thought it a waste of money until I started the course, It’s a great book for going back to as a quick refresher whilst working, Its always in my flight bag along with a LASORS book which I would also recommend as you will be asked questions by students a PPL holders alike on revalidations etc.
As others have said your course should have its own notes and these will what you will work from throughout.
The course itself is fantastic though and I must say it’s the most fun I’ve had flying, watch out for "Bloggs" first take off and stall recovery though, “I HAVE CONTROL”!

BristolScout
8th Mar 2011, 13:26
If you intend doing some pre-course reading, I strongly suggest mugging up on Air Law and the associated regulatory stodge. It tends to take a bit of a back seat during an instructor course when the emphasis is on the 'real' stuff, but this is the topic a lot of students are going to ask your help on, especially on no-flying days. It's not a lot of laughs but I'm willing to bet it's the topic most FIs refresh hardest as their renewals approach. Several good books available, down to personal taste in the end, and LASORS is a must have - I think it's still downloadable from the CAA website.

It's almost 30 years since I did my instructor course and I still look back on it as one of the most rewarding things I ever did. Ahh! That long, hot Oxford summer of '79!:)

Heliport
16th Mar 2011, 08:12
Max I am hoping to start an FI rating in April/May-time

You might want to look at the FREE courses offered by GAPAN:

FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR (R) RATINGS
Several Fixed Wing & one Rotary.

The Scholarship award covers all direct training and examination costs.
Refer to the application forms for eligibility criteria and terms and conditions of the scholarship.

Closing date for applications: 23 March 2011
Interviews will be held in London on Tuesday 3 May 2011.

Application forms:

Flying Instructor Rating (Fixed Wing) 2011 (http://www.gapan.org/file/224/flying-instructor-fixed-wing-2011.pdf)

Flying Instructor Rating (Rotary) 2011 (http://www.gapan.org/file/223/flying-instructor-helicopter-2011.pdf)