PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a move to Canada

skysoarer
2nd Mar 2011, 17:49
You'll have to excuse the common theme for the title of my thread. I'm aware there are quite a few similar ones.

I am aware that there is quite a lot of recruitment going on in Canada for pilots, including Air Canada. I have friends in British Columbia (Vancouver, and on the Island) and every time I'm over there they suggest moving over. I can't help but agree. I'm UK born and bred, but at 31 if I'm going to move I need to get on with it or forget it. Thing is I just can't forget it.

In a nutshell I'm a UK unfrozen ATPL holder with around 2200 hrs total time, split between the Dash-8 Q400 and Emb145, working for a major regional airline. I'm still a first officer, but I have a command line-check assessment coming up ... but even then there's no chance of a command at my base for the near future. Other stuff I have behind me is an Software Engineering degree, lots and lots of gliding (sailplane) experience, model flying, and a trainee falconer (that's another story).

Are there any Brits here who have made the jump over to Canada for an airline job, and would be willing to get in contact? I'm more than aware of the problems and requirements for immigration.

I have all the normal means of getting in touch ... phone, email, skype, this forum, etc ... it would just be great to talk with someone who has done it more recently. I've also been trying to talk with a human being at Air Canada, but thus far unsuccessfully, to ask someone in HR if they've had past applicants from the UK. I'll keep trying of course.

Thank you in advance!

Sky

MarkJJ
3rd Mar 2011, 06:27
PM me mate

evansb
5th Mar 2011, 18:13
Sky, try placing your request on the forum avcanada.ca

Fingersmac
5th Mar 2011, 20:07
Job Requirements

To fly for Air Canada, pilots must meet certain basic requirements:

1000 hours of fixed wing flying time
Completion of schooling to the university entrance level. Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate.
Canadian Commercial Pilot licence, current Instrument Rating and Multi-Engine endorsement.
Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status.

I would be hard-pressed to believe Air Canada would entertain the idea of hiring someone without first having the basic requirements. There are 1000s of applicants on file who hold Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status.

Whilst there is a positive hiring trend in Canada at the moment, there is no shortage of pilots looking for work, especially with Air Canada.

If living and working in Canada is something you'd like to do, I would sort out the immigration issue first. Once you've gained landed immigrant status then you can join the long list of applicants waiting for an interview at Air Canada.

GMC1500
5th Mar 2011, 23:25
coming from Canada, I'd say having Q400 and E145 experince at 2200 hrs, you're doing much better than a Canadian pilot would be doing with similar time. I'd stay where you are. When I had your time in Canada, I was right seat on a Beech 99 with many years of slogging it out in the north ahead of me, and about 5 yrs to my first right seat in a jet.
What makes people think canada is some sort of easy way for pilots? Esp people who aren't canadian to begin with?

Krashman
13th Mar 2011, 21:30
Its tough to get on even at smaller airlines in canada. Porter, Jazz, First Air etc. The job expectations between Canada and Europe are quite a bit different.

In Europe there are a number of cadet programs where a Q400 would be 'entry level' in Canada entry level is humping cargo, fueling and mopping floors.

My suggestion would be to continue flying where your at until you have SIGNIFICANT hours. Then you may be more attractive... but maybe not.

Vancouver and the Island are very desirable and pretty places to live. Ask me why I moved away... to fly:hmm:

ecnalubma
13th Mar 2011, 22:20
Cut and paste this to Avcanada.ca and I will make sure it gets in. I think it would get the most feedback under the general heading. Good luck.
I am a moderator at Avcanada.