PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Canada following NZ earthquake

romansandal
1st Mar 2011, 02:53
Hi everyone,

I live in Christchurch, NZ and due to the earthquake down here, i'm looking to make the move up to Canada to be closer to my family. I have Canadian citizenship and around 4500hrs mostly in New Zealand on the ATR72.

If someone was willing, i'd love to have a chat about the likes of Westjet and other employment opportunites for when I arrive up there. I appreciate there are a lot of these open ended requests like this, but any help would be appreciated.

RS

clunckdriver
1st Mar 2011, 13:29
Moving to Canada to avoid quakes? Now let me think about this, West Coast on a major fault line, "The big one" is predicted by all the experts in the field, Ottawa Valley and Laurentians have regular shakes, Northern PQ also very dodgey. On a more serious note I will PM you when I have time re the job situation over here.

+TSRA
1st Mar 2011, 17:30
Hey romansandal,

We should trade info: I'm thinking of moving back home and would like to know the state of things in NZ.

At any rate, hiring is looking relatively positive right now - well, should I say more positive than it has in the past. My company has already lost a couple of guys to the majors with more waiting to hear back - not to say it will continue with the price of oil going up, but who knows - at the moment, its decent.

If you're willing to do things in stages I would suggest an application to First Air, Calm Air or West Wind Aviation - they are all ATR operators and are looking for guys right now that with your experience, should be a no brainer - that would at least get your foot in the door over here with a typed aircraft and would allow you to do all the license conversions (if needed) relatively quickly.

Hope that at least gets the ball rolling for you, and if there are any specific NZ to CAD questions just let me know - been there, done that!

PM if needed!

romansandal
1st Mar 2011, 21:07
Thanks guys, really great info.

RS