PDA

View Full Version : What do you set the cabin temp to?

EDDNR
10th May 2001, 21:51
I'm curious as to what you think is a sensible cabin temp? On the 744, the control is in the cabin chief's office and controlled by them after TOC. Almost everyone seems to set it to 24C which I personally find too hot. I usually have my heating or a/c at home set to 19 or 20C. Do you think 24 is way too high and contributes to the dehydration and irritability of the pax?

Rod

Feret
11th May 2001, 13:00
Usually the zone temp sensors are located in the overhead stowage area (psu's) so the setting of 24 degrees is not really the temp at seat level. On the 767, I used to run the zones at 22 - 23 degrees (indicated) during the day and a bit warmer at night when all pax were asleep (or whatever). The 707 and 727 were not so easy! The F/A's soon let you know if it isn't comfortable. Gets pretty warm for them when they are working flat out and gets pretty cold when they are hiding in the galleys, with lousy ventilation, near exit doors with no sidewall heating. Do you think this may have something to do with higher than normal cabin temps?
I have to agree with the temp down the back of the 744 though. Usually it is pretty average.

Cheers.

BmPilot21
11th May 2001, 23:55
22 degrees, on the 737. Or whatever the pax. desire - eg) if it's very hot outside they usually prefer it warmer and vice versa.

Iz
12th May 2001, 11:53
EDDNR, don't forget that the air inside the cabin is extremely dry. This low humidity makes it 'feel' colder for a given temp. 19 deg at home would probably feel like 21-22 degrees in the airplane.

Just like it might seem hotter in the tropics where it's 32 degrees than in Spain when it's 40 degrees but it's dry.

EDDNR
15th May 2001, 13:13
I guess the humidity and the perceived temp is a clue too. Trouble is where the cabin crew normally sit (by the doors) is cool, so they'd tend to increase the cabin temp to compensate. Whenever I'm a pax, I always find it too hot in the cabin and therefore necessary to drink lots of cold beer to reduce my own temperature. Hot dry air and alcohol are sure to make a lot of people more irritable and perhaps a source of some of the "air rage" seen over recent years?

Rod

Mice
15th May 2001, 15:45
Do not know if it is of any help, but the modern aircraft is pretty cold in the galleys, as the designers spend most of the time keeping the customers warm in the way the air flows. Maybe the cabin crew are the ones who get the temp turned up, as they are the ones that are cold in the galleys.

I know that those with an aft galley are about 6-10 degrees cooler that the mid cabin on long haul flights. To combat this, some manufacturers (i.e. A330) put extra heating in the ventilation duct for the rear galley.

Tinstaafl
15th May 2001, 16:44
I usually find the cabin temp too cold & nearly always end up wearing a jumper &/or draped in that cheapy blanket.

lostinBRU
17th May 2001, 17:09
The guys and gals down the back work hard on our short sector flights and sometimes you have to know your cabin crew.....We get many requests to "turn the temp down....it's roasting...."
Having sat down the back regularly on positioning flights and freezing my nuts off, I think that on some occasions they interpret the temp for themselves rather than the static (and lower) pax.

Cornish Jack
17th May 2001, 19:06
Just a small point to bear in mind, for 744 chaps and chap-esses - the Pax Temp control has an effect on the range of temperatures available to the Cabin crew. If you set the control at anything other than 24 degs (Twelve o' clock position), the normal 6 degs either way will be reduced on one side or the other, since the range is limited overall to between 18 and 29 degs. Your own Flight deck temp control is quite separate and relies on the availability of Trim Air for Manual operation.

fly4fud
18th May 2001, 20:32
lostinBRU, how right you are!

It would be nice to have a control for the cabin temp, well in the cabin, as they have on some biggies. This way we could concentrate slightly more on the flying iso adjusting up then down, then up down and more :)

------------------
... cut my wings and I'll die ...