View Full Version : Portable Radio

BabyBear
24th Feb 2011, 10:10
I wouldn't expect any issue taking an Icom IC-A6E transceiver on a commercial flight in hand baggage, however I thought it worth asking if anyone can confirm there will not be any issues?

Thanks,

BB

BackPacker
24th Feb 2011, 10:53
"During take-off and landing, no electric or electronic portable equipment may be used."
"During the cruise, all equipment with an antenna may not be used."

If you're just taking it without the intention of using it, you won't have any issues. Just like GPSs, cellphones, laptops with Wifi, iPod/Pad/Phones etc.

If you intend to use it in the aircraft to listen in to ATC conversations you'll have to ask permission of the captain (via the cabin crew). Loads of times this has been permitted, but it's the captains discretion. And you'll probably find that if the captain even suspects a hint of interference, he's going to ask you to turn it off.

BabyBear
24th Feb 2011, 11:18
Thanks BackPacker,

No intention of using it in the aircraft, don't want to put it in the hold and will use it at destination. So the question related more to getting through security with it.

I was a little concerned the red tape would stretch to deeming transceivers as a potential 'threat', understood only by those deeming them so.

Cheers,

BB

Katamarino
24th Feb 2011, 11:23
It does depend where you are travelling to. I was surprised in Tunis when security pulled me up; and suddenly remembered the leatherman with knife in my flight bag that I assumed they were unhappy with. Not so; they couldn't care less about the knife, but the Icom was a big no-no!!

I should add that this was ENTERING Tunisia; they let me take it back to my aircraft and leave it in there. Of course, once I flew on from there to other airports in Tunisia, the security was either less worried, or non-existent, and I could have taken my radio into the country just fine :confused:

BabyBear
24th Feb 2011, 11:53
Interesting, 2 flights; Easy domestic UK, Flybe Jersey. Return not booked but could be BA.

If they let me go back to the car to leave it I could live with it, would get rather upset if they tried to confiscate!

BB

172driver
24th Feb 2011, 12:01
I've done it a number of times and never had an issue. Generally the worst (at least in Europe & US) are the screeners in the UK. These people also seem to hate everyone who flies airplanes (just look at some threads over at R&N....), so if asked, perhaps say you direct construction machinery with it, or somesuch. Once out of here, generally no problem. I would also take the antenna off, makes it less conspicuous.

Mark1234
24th Feb 2011, 12:38
Ditto done it plenty. Antenna off and in the bag - and it's just a walkie talkie. No reason for them to guess it's airband, no reason to tell..

Katamarino
24th Feb 2011, 13:57
I've had no problems with it between the US and UK; I think its just the more politically backward countries that might have an issue. In the US and UK they have moved on to being deathly afraid of toothpaste instead :rolleyes:

BabyBear
24th Feb 2011, 14:14
Thanks guys, will stick it in with the laptop without antenna and see how I get on.

deathly afraid of toothpaste instead

In my case it is aftershave. The last time I got a bit shirty and told them they were using more of it than me with their liquid test. Not far from the truth either, on one occasion it was tested coming out of Jersey and then again at Gatwick on checking in an hour or so later. Apparently for volumes between 75 - 100 it is common to test, 75 and under not so.

BB

Bravo Mike
24th Feb 2011, 17:46
I had a lot of difficulty at Charles de Gaulle even before 9/11. I was flying to South Africa with an Icom scanner in my hand luggage. There was no difficulty leaving Heathrow, but the French security bods decided it was a "walky talky":ugh: and held it until a decision was made by aircrew to allow me to carry it. I vaguely remember researching the issue when I got home, and there was a clause either in air law or company regulations that did place restrictions on comms equipment (I cannot be sure of this). The hassle decided me never to attempt this again.

Stephen Furner
24th Feb 2011, 19:23
I have taken a hand held air band scanner on various carriers around Europe without problem so far. Usually I have it in the bag with my computer. I only had a problem once when I was trying to identify VORs while crossing France. I had flown this route many times as a passenger with the scanner but for some unknown reason this time it seemed to worry one of the cabin attendants. He initially queried me about using it in flight mode and later demanded I turn it off and stop using it.

For myself I found it very helpful to listen to airfield radio traffic when studying for the radio exam when I was training for my PPL. I now find it a useful way to pass the time while waiting at an airport for a flight as a passenger.

I’m sometimes to found sitting on a sunny Friday afternoon in Nice’s departure lounge on my way back to the UK. I have my scanner going on headphones – similar to those used with iPods and mp3 players - and a cup of coffee in my hand just enjoying watching the aircraft come and go whilst waiting for the one that will take me back to Luton.

Maoraigh1
24th Feb 2011, 21:45
I've taken an Icom from UK to US direct and through Amsterdam and Charles de Gaulle with no problems. To Boston, JFK, LAX, Chicago, Denver, Memphis, DallasFW, Minneapolis, and Seattle. (Except a Security Lady at Heathrow who asked what it was, then said she would transmit on it to check. I managed to persuade her that would be illegal.)

Dan Dare
24th Feb 2011, 22:43
Probabaly not a bad idea to travel with a copy of the radio licence just in case. Most security wouldn't know an A6 from a normal tranny so you'd be unlucky to be challenged.

You think a radio is difficult, I tried to take a life jacket in board once. How do explain that it is exactly the same sort of device as the aircraft has on board under every seat? It took a while to say the least:rolleyes:

Whopity
24th Feb 2011, 23:09
Probabaly not a bad idea to travel with a copy of the radio licence just in case.If indeed you have such a licence, it will only be valid in the United Kingdom, so it really won't be of any use when travelling internationally. A FRTOL is an operator's licence, and has no validity with regard to a radio station.
I have carried a variety of radios in hand baggage without any issues however you can anticipate problems when entering countries that have a paranoia re spying. Greece and India come to mind!

Piper.Classique
25th Feb 2011, 16:02
Whopity, I have a radio licence for our handheld radio, not for me, for the radio. Renewed each year by the telecommunications folks, and it wanders between the glider, the cub, and the ballon as needed. I think you should also get one if it is used as a back-up in an aircraft, but I am open to correction there.

patowalker
25th Feb 2011, 16:18
Unlike many of the older ICOMs, you cannot get a licence for the A6, because it has not been approved by EASA or the CAA.

BabyBear
25th Feb 2011, 17:45
PPRuNers seem to have had the odd mishap indeed, so maybe not always guaranteed to get through without objection on every occasion?

Well, I am now in Jersey and can report that I was not challenged. I simply left it in the laptop bag, albeit I removed the laptop at security and sailed through.

Interestingly I did have my licence, but don't know I would have thought of using it to justify my possessing the radio?

BB

patowalker
25th Feb 2011, 18:55
Interestingly I did have my licence, but don't know I would have thought of using it to justify my possessing the radio?

Ooh, just like a driver's licence justifies possession of a car. :)

An Aircraft Radio Licence might help. Shame it is not available for the A6 :):)

Captain Smithy
25th Feb 2011, 19:46
Got questioned carrying a couple of UHF sets in hold baggage (of all places... :rolleyes:) for work purposes a few weeks back, but that said all was fine after a short explanation.

Smithy

trex600
25th Feb 2011, 20:34
About 2 years ago returning from northern ireland i was challenged about
my icoma3 and it caused me more bother than it was worth.
I was spoken too by the police and told i was braking the law because their rules where different from ours, spoken to like sh*t and threatened with confiscation of the radio! (the copper clearly didnt have a clew)

It was about 20mins all in all, and they seemed to be more p*ssed off that i offered to put the radio in the bin for them to save time.
In the end i still boarded the flight with the radio still in my hand luggage.

BabyBear
27th Feb 2011, 17:53
Enough already guys, I have to get home yet and don't have the option of going back to the car to leave it! If you hear of a disturbance in the relevant airport in the coming week you will know security and I have had a disagreement during which they dug their heels in!

after a short explanation.

Oh you tease!

BB

Captain Smithy
27th Feb 2011, 18:04
Well BB it turned out it wasn't the radio itself that was the issue, it was the odd shape of the heatsink on the back of the set. They couldn't work out what it was when they saw it on the X-Ray...

Smithy

Whopity
27th Feb 2011, 18:12
I was once told to remove the batteries from my torch, because its Electronic! I asked if I had to take my watch battery out but that was not required as that apparently was not Electronic!

Captain Smithy
27th Feb 2011, 18:16
Hmm, think someone was pulling your todger Mr. Whopity, either that or you were unlucky enough to be security'd by the village numpty. :uhoh:

BabyBear
27th Feb 2011, 18:42
the village numpty

What you on about Cpt. being the village numpty is a pre requisite of getting the job!

The guy behind me Gatwick - Jersey had a bit of a to do with some piece of kit (couldn't see it) that he argued was not wireless when challenged. I thought this could be fun, however being told all electronic equipment had to be switched off he complied, albeit he had to be told again before landing.:sad:

Anyone in Jersey want to buy an A6?

Whopity
28th Feb 2011, 23:03
you were unlucky enough to be security'd by the village numptyActually an RAF Policeman!