PDA

View Full Version : Romania

Rob_L
20th Dec 2000, 01:23
Does anyone have any experience of flying to Romania?

It's supposed to be a humanitarian/private flight in a light aircraft but the impression I get from people who take truck-loads of goodies by road is that the you have to bribe the officials (at every stage) for the privilege of taking them presents!

Any tips gratefully received.

Also posted on Private/Corporate forums, to get everyone, or rather anyone's point of view.

Evanelpus
20th Dec 2000, 13:31
Beware of the opportunist thieves!

Flew to Bucharest a few years back and my mate had one of those soft material type suitcase which was OK when we left Heathrow but had a long slit in it when it arrived in the baggage hall at Bucharest. He had two pairs of leather shoes nicked along with a 35mm camera. I know it was his own silly fault putting his camera in the case but it turned out that his type of case was being targetted by chancers at the airport because they were so easy to slit with a Stanley knife. My advice is get hold of a plastic Samsonite case.

Romanian officials are not adverse to holding their hands out for 'donations'. Also beware of the 'nightfighters' at the bars of the big hotels. In two hours at the Intercontinental I was approached no less than 8 times by different girls. If this is your bag you will have a field day.

Good luck!!

Boss Raptor
20th Dec 2000, 15:19
Just make sure you are met by a fairly important person who is well known and can handle any request for 'protocol payments'.

If you are approached just politely refuse and let your contact handle it...like many countries the officials will sometimes try it on...or if you offer they will take...been many times heard stories of having to bribe officials at BUH airport immigration etc. etc. and I have never been asked for anything...same as I've never paid anything in Nigeria!

static
21st Dec 2000, 00:15
I fly to Bucharest Otopeni airport (OTP) regularly. I find the people there very friendly. In general all people are very poor and there is a lot of mafia around. So I wouldn`t be surprised if some officials expect a "Christmas bonus".
Nothing too crazy though..

Good luck!