PDA

View Full Version : How much emphasis on math and physics?

Levente
6th May 2001, 23:46
I was lazy in high school and didnīt concentrate on math and physics. I am 99% sure I will get my class 1 medical, so my biggest concern is whether I need to put a lot of effort into math and physics in order to succeed in aviation (not considering general aptitude). I am currently 23 so I have a lot of time to do that if I have to, but I would need to know whether I have to.

I know this is a little vague and maybe difficult to answer, but how important in your opinion are math and physics for a commercial pilot?

Thanks,
Levente

CaptainSquelch
7th May 2001, 00:07
I'd say that airlaw is the only subject you can do without math and physics. The rest would be a bit hard.

Sorry Levente

Sq

Levente
7th May 2001, 01:57
SQ,

I know that math and physics is required, but my point is that how much it is required. For instance the reading I have been doing (mostly of it on PPL level) is not very hard, I have no difficulties coping with the material at least on that level. Hard to say from the rest, that is why I would like to get a more thorough answer.

Flypuppy
7th May 2001, 13:00
You will need to be fairly confident with basic trigonometry, and be able to transpose equations without getting all hot under the collar. It isnt rocket science, so what you might find useful is to get some O grade/level revision books and read through them.
Alternatively, see if you can find a maths or physics teacher that would be willing to give you some one to one tuition during the summer holidays or in the evenings.

Jetdriver
7th May 2001, 20:00
The whole background of this job is Maths and Physics, that is why it is so important. It may be that you will succeed without qualification in these subjects, however an understanding and good working knowledge are absolutely vital ! You will be competing with other people who do have qualifications in these subjects, so you may need to consider that point.

By way of example :

Fuel requirements (Maths and physics )
Crew Duty Hours (Maths and astrology !)
Speed calculations (Maths and physics)
Tech log assessment (Maths and physics)
Cross checking (mental maths)
ATC questions (mental maths)
Flight planning (Maths)
Aircraft performance (Maths and physics)
Crew allowances (Maths)
Hotac payments (Maths)
Company accounts (Maths)
Job related studies (Maths and physics)

These are just a few examples of the need to understand these subjects on an everyday basis. I am sure there are many more. My advice get studying seriously and rectify the shortfall. This concept will stand you well generally in this profession and many others!

SpeedBird22
7th May 2001, 20:32
G'd evening,

Regardless of whether or not you have actual recognised qualifications in Maths or Physics they are still areas that are completely accessible to re-learn or to improve yourself on.

I somehow managed to scrape a C at GCSE Maths but still had real problems even with PPL maths so I spend a year or two just really focussing on it and now...gasp...I actually sort of enjoy it! :)

It can be conquered!!

Good luck,

BAW 22

Levente
7th May 2001, 22:19
Damn, people! You are ruining my day! :) As a matter of fact I was just hoping someone would say "Of course you don't need to be a mathematician nor a physicist, but it would be nice if you would now them at least a bit." Well, I guess it's time to dig out those maths and physics books. At least there is one thing that will help me - I know I am not stupid, I was just lazy in school.

Thanks for all the answers!
Levente

7th May 2001, 22:24
Has anyone used a product called 'Mega Maths'? You can buy it from that Shop America channel on sky digital.
I used the 'Mega Memory' program and it worked really well. It might be worth a shot!!

avrodamo
7th May 2001, 23:13
Get a tutor !! I'm in the same boat as you. Im no thicket, but spent alot of my time daydreaming about Amanda Ward instead of concentrating. I've started my ATPL theory, and yes it's hard work; but you can work it out. I've taken on a maths teacher who i visit once a week. It's Ģ15.00 each time and it's relly useful. Give it a try

CRP5
8th May 2001, 21:47
I am a complete numpty at Maths and physics, managed to pass BA tests, then all ATPLs in one go, I had to work my ass off while others went out and drunk beer but belive me it is not impossible!(sorry to let the cat out the bag)

JB007
9th May 2001, 07:24
Levente,

I'm not great at Maths or Physics....i'm nearly through with my ATPL writtens and it just requires alot of hard work...simple really!!!!

As Jetdriver said a good understanding is required...very little in the way of Trig. lots of cos / sin calculations...if I can do it, anyone can...

You'll learn what you need to learn on your ATPL groundschool - most schools in the Uk are very good, but if you've not finished your PPL...don't worry about it..one step at a time mate!

Cheers

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

Tiger_ Moth
12th May 2001, 01:11
I also want to be an airline pilot but dont do maths or physics at A level because I dislike maths and couldnt do physics without doing maths as well. However I got A at both in GCSE and was led to believe that this would be adequate. It seems that maths and physics are useful and you will need to have some understanding to pass many air exams like trigonometry for navigation and speed,distance time etc but looking at what other people do in maths and physics A levels a lot of it is not that relevant to being a pilot, particularly in physics. Dont mistake this for intelligent advice! its just my vague understanding of the topic. I would also like assurance that my GCSEs are adequate.