PDA

View Full Version : Station Flying

m.r.a.z.23
21st Feb 2011, 01:53
Just wondering if anyone has any info on what flying on a station is like (basically in reference to the job advertised on the AFAP website today).

Have heard it's hard work but pay is pretty decent.

Any info would be appreciated!

Soar2384
21st Feb 2011, 02:12
Be prepared for jobs like fixing fences and cattle handling on bikes and on foot before they let you muster in the plane. Not sure what AA would be like or what they'd pay but usually the deal for stockman is about $500 a week plus meals and accomodation. That varies from station to station obviously and I don't know what the difference would be for a pilots salary.

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Feb 2011, 06:51
1) Station flying is what you make of it! Can be a great experience that you will talk about for years.

2) Most of the bigger companies should be OK to work for.

3) Try to guage what is a reasonable expectation in the way of flying hours (500+ for the year?) - but expect to do some other stuff - eg book-keeping, hanging off a gate in the yards, stock work, fencing, bore runs - all part of the experience.

4) Make sure you are well trained for what you are expected to do in the way of flying - mustering endorsement etc

5) Don't mess with the governess (or the cook!)

6) If you take the job - committ for the season (12 mths) as a minimum, unless you have a really, really good reason to pull the pin.

Lots of pilots have got the magic first 1000 hrs flying a station aeroplane - and still value the experience, the adventure, the life style and the friends that they made.

Dr :8

VH-XXX
21st Feb 2011, 07:02
If you are interested in station flying, download the series "Keeping up with the Joneses" if you haven't seen it. Whilst it's not about fixed wing, similar concepts apply. Keep an eye on the young guy from the Gold Coast and what he goes through to get in the right-seat of the chopper - then everything you are reading here will all make sense.

sisemen
21st Feb 2011, 14:30
Do your homework. Check out where the aircraft is serviced and have a quiet word with that organisation. Some station aircraft are dogs and the stretch between "100 hourlies" can be very elastic.

In one aircraft that I brought back from a station for a service if I hadn't been wearing a watch I wouldn't have had the minimum instruments.

Jasen
22nd Feb 2011, 07:55
AA are a big company and seem to maintain their aircraft well. Have known a few people go through there and no complaints. Go for it.:ok: