PDA

View Full Version : Initiating the Go-Around / Missed Approach

3 green's
17th Dec 2000, 17:13
Can you help?

Initiating the Go-Around / Missed Approach (aircraft less then or = 5700 kg)

When does Initiating a Go-Around / Missed Approach become Mandatory when flying an ILS?

When flying a non-precision approach (VOR / NDB) when does initiating a Go-Around / Missed Approach become Mandatory?

With respect to both of the above scenarios I am looking for the relevant / appropriate ICAO or JAR Ref

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Paul

------------------
every flight is a training flight

Shed Driver
18th Dec 2000, 00:50
ILS - Decision Altitude or Decision Height

Non-Precision Approach - Missed approach point (reached at Minimum Descent Altitude/Height)

Most operators will fly a predetermined approach angle to enable them to execute a missed approach at a predetermined point which is before the actual MAP. Aircraft below 5700kg do not have the high energy of larger aicraft, so a level MDA/H can be flown to the MAP. Hope this helps.

3 green's
18th Dec 2000, 09:38
thanks for the reply to my post

mistake !!!!!!!

i didnt phrase the question correctly, but you did answer it perfectly :-)

what i wanted to know was when does a missed approch become mandatory once "ON" the approch but before DA / MAP (ie the half scale fly up - ILS or 5 degrees non-precision)

------------------

AffirmBrest
18th Dec 2000, 13:19
How about: 'if ATC tell you to'! :)

static
18th Dec 2000, 15:40
If that`s what you wait for, you`ll find yourself in a lot of trouble very soon. And not without reason.

ILS: one dot or half scale deflection.
VOR: 2.5 degrees off
NDB: 3 degrees off, however this can be difficult with the quality of the average NDB:-)

fudpucker
19th Dec 2000, 00:49
On an ILS , above 1000ft aal(above aerodrome level)if the RVR falls below landing minima , a go around is mandatory. Below 1000 aal , you are allowed to continue the approach.
On a non-precision approach , if the RVR falls below landing minima , the approach must be discontinued.

BIK_116.80
19th Dec 2000, 04:03
Only in certain jurisdictions, fudpucker.

In many parts of the world the crew is trusted to fly the approach to minimums and then make their own decision about what they may or may not be able to see.

Of course, not all countries choose to trust their professional aircrew with this responsibility.

3 green's
19th Dec 2000, 10:12
guys thanks for the info

STATIC are the minima you mention company or JAR (3 degrees off for a NDB is V.Very tight) ?

cheers

Paul

------------------

quid
20th Dec 2000, 08:22
.....and in the US, if the wx goes below mins prior to the FAF, we can't even "begin" the approach.

------------------