PDA

View Full Version : Why no Manchester - Orlando direct?

Bear Cub
16th Dec 2000, 08:13
I'm curious.

I want to book a ticket from Manchester to Florida (pref. Orlando Int) in early January but cannot find ANY company offering seats.

Virgin seems to have dropped its route - at least for the immediate future.

Any suggestions as to what is going on...or any suggestions as to who does do a Manchester - Florida rotation DIRECT.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Macdu
16th Dec 2000, 08:49
Bear Cub,

Airtours flies Manchester to Orlando (Sanford Airport) which is 45 mins. to main attractions. If you were to hire a car anyway in which unlimited mileage is a norm, it's not a bad drive.

Macdu

cossack
16th Dec 2000, 16:26
VIR75/76 is a seasonal only. Did its last return to MAN last Sunday via St Johns (medical emergency - different thread).
I think it starts up again at the end of April/beginning of May. Good loads all this year. I'm sure it would be pretty full all year if they wanted to/could keep it going. Other than charter, you could go via New York or Newark. I found a fare of just over £300 rtn via EWR with COA for April through Airline Network <A HREF="http://www.airnet.co.uk" TARGET="_blank">www.airnet.co.uk</A>
Best of luck

cossack
16th Dec 2000, 16:32
Just had a wee lookie
COA £235 +£62.10 tax in January = £297.10 rtn.
Bargain! VIR is usually well over £400.
In an edit... even bigger bargain with Delta £201 +£57.90 tax via ATL
I've got a few days leave in January myself...mmmm?

[This message has been edited by cossack (edited 16 December 2000).]

Bear Cub
16th Dec 2000, 17:06
The confusing thing is that VS75/76 continued last year - I had a ticket outbound on December 28th, returning to Manchester on January 15th (or thereabouts).

Even stranger thing was that the ticket with Virgin - for their own aircraft - was around £600 but with Continental (on the code share) it was only 250. Less than half.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!

pax domina
16th Dec 2000, 18:14
Just a comment from someone who has lived in the Central Florida area for 21 years -

Generally, the weather from October to April is *wonderful*. From May to September - hot and humid, with frequent severe afternoon thunderstorms followed by steambath-like conditions.

Presumably the MAN-MCO (Orlando International - from McCOy Airbase, ORL is the General Aviation field in the centre of town) or MAN-SFB (Sanford, about 15-20 miles NNE of Downtown Orlando, as mentioned previously about 45 miles from the attractions area) is primarily used by folks from the UK taking their holidays here. Seems a shame that a carrier would discontinue service to Florida, when the weather here is the nicest. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

They must have some more profitable routes to use them on. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

If you do visit, avoid the tacky tourist strips that are 192 in Kissimmee (and most of International Drive) like the plague, except when you are in serious outlet shopping mode. A list of off the beaten track dining experiences is available from me upon request!

[This message has been edited by pax domina (edited 16 December 2000).]

cossack
16th Dec 2000, 19:20
Pax
Mrs cossack saw your previous post and as a practitioner of retail therapy, got very excited at the prospect!
Surely "outlet shopping" should be one of those vulgar or dangerous phrases that automatically gets the asterisk treatment to protect the vulnerable in our society ie husbands!!!

pax domina
16th Dec 2000, 22:10
Well, I'm afraid that sooner or later she might have heard about it from someone other than me! :)

However, as a public service I will refuse to divulge (a) where you can still park close to an entrance to B%lz F@ct0ry O**l** M@ll 1, even during the height of the Christmas rush and (b) my favorite place to find really top quality clothes at extremely good prices (enough tourists find (b) of their own accord, anyway). :)

cossack
16th Dec 2000, 23:30
You must now tell her where to park close if only to save me a long walk from the outskirts!
I'm sure Belz (all of them!) will be on her itinerary since we'll be in the area with another confirmed professional shopaholic. Their ambition is to go to both The Mall of America AND Edmonton Mall. What more can I say? What should the discarded husbands do? Is there a Hooters nearby?!!!
(typos)

[This message has been edited by cossack (edited 16 December 2000).]

Delta Wun-Wun
17th Dec 2000, 01:55
Ermm........I hope Virgin have not dropped their MAN-ORL route cos I got 6 tickets upstairs for a Family holiday there next year.Please dont frighten me.....I ve got no money as it is! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Bear Cub
17th Dec 2000, 06:41
Wun Wun...what dates have you got??? I ask because I cannot find when they intend to re-open the route.

BTW...considering the "handle"...why aren't you flying through Atlanta...with Delta?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!

cossack
17th Dec 2000, 14:42
I believe its Tuesday 1 May 2001. (Not confirmed by Virgin)

Shanwick Shanwick
17th Dec 2000, 17:42
VS75/76 starts again mid April 2001 and will probably continue through the winter of 2001/2002.

The fares are generally higher than any others because the onboard service is better and it's always full.

------------------
hhhiiisssssccrrrraaaacckkkllesssshhhhhh

Downwind_Left
17th Dec 2000, 23:51
You can get cheap MAN-SFB flights through <A HREF="http://www.firstchoice.co.uk" TARGET="_blank">http://www.firstchoice.co.uk</A>

Did a quick check, offering MAN-SFB departing 11th January for £212 return (inc tax and APD)

[This message has been edited by Downwind_Left (edited 17 December 2000).]

scroggs
18th Dec 2000, 00:40
VS continued the VS75/76 through Christmas to February last year, but it was not a success. Seems that it's difficult to convince the northern peeps that sunny holidays can be had in the UK winter! As someone mentioned above, Florida is lovely through the winter season. I'd be quite happy if I never had to go to MCO again between May and September.
Vs run the 15/16 and 27/28 LGW-MCO, and the 5/6 LGW-MIA, daily throughout the year - so come down south!

Next Generation PSR
18th Dec 2000, 04:04
Anyone who is planning to use the VS MAN-MCO-MAN services in 2001, It might be worth checking to see if the flights are actually operated by VS. This route is notorious for VS using wet-leased acft the past few Summer seasons. I remember a lot of problems came to light when Air Atlanta were operating the service last year i.e cabin service, entertainment and upgraded cabins not up to scratch. Rumour elsewhere has it that Air Atlanta could be operating the flights for VS again during Summer 2001 on MAN-MCO route.

Forewarned is forearmed

Avman
18th Dec 2000, 04:18
Why is it that the Brits go to Florida in the Summer? That's just about the worst time to go.

How do you spot male Brits in Florida? They're the ones in dark grey winter trousers and a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up. The handkerchief on the head is optional!

[This message has been edited by Avman (edited 18 December 2000).]

Bear Cub
18th Dec 2000, 06:34
Scroggs,

Snag is that the journey from the house door to Manchester Terminal 2 (from which the VS's go) is WALKING DISTANCE with luggage.

Why the **** should anyone who puts up with the noise of living next to the best International airport in the country have to travel to London to get a Trans-Atlantic flight?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!

Desk Driver
18th Dec 2000, 13:34
If you want to go from T2 direct (AMM) and not pay the earth, then try your local Travel agent

Edited to avoid p****ng off Danny

[This message has been edited by Desk Driver (edited 20 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Desk Driver (edited 20 December 2000).]

scroggs
20th Dec 2000, 22:36
NextGenPSR,
perhaps you would expand on your allegation that VS is 'notorious for using wet-leased aircraft on the MAN-MCO route over the past few years'. Methinks you overstate the case - perhaps you have an anti-Vigin agenda? If so, then make your point clearly.
Virgin used an Air Atlanta B747-300 for the majority of the 2000 summer because the workload on the Classics was causing problems scheduling engineering. As far as I am aware, there was no previous instance of anything other than emergency cover on the rare occasion when an aircraft went irretrevably tech.
For 2001, as has been made public by Virgin, an Air Atlanta B747-200 will be used on LGW-Caribbean routes until July, or thereabouts. Unlike the -300 used this year on MAN-MCO, the aircraft will be in full Virgin fit, with Virgin cabin staff. I've no doubt that Atlanta have been told in words of one syllable exactly what is required of them so that there is no repeat of the 'idiosyncratic' service they produced this year.
To make it absolutely clear: the VS MAN-MCO service in 2001 will not be operated by Atlanta. I understand that Virgin hopes to operate MAN-MCO year-round before long.

Next Generation PSR
21st Dec 2000, 19:55
Scroggs, I believe Martinair Holland also operated the Virgin MAN-MCO-MAN with B767s in the past pending deliveries of more Virgin 747s

Delta Wun-Wun
21st Dec 2000, 22:34
Bear Cub sorry I am late replying......The dates for my Travel are 12th July returning 3 weeks later........The "handle" is nothing to do with flying...something to do with my current job.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!