PDA

View Full Version : Will the JAA program eventually 'fly' for all EU countries?

Snakum
15th Dec 2000, 02:24
Forgive my ignorance but I’ve read a number of posts concerning the JAA vs. CAA vs. FAA, etc. yet I am not completely clear about the reasoning and motivating factors behind the JAA program. Do I understand correctly that only two EU countries have thus far ‘bought into’ the JAA licensing scheme? It was my understanding that the JAA regs were developed to ensure all EU countries were on the same sheet of music regarding aviation training and experience. But if compliance isn’t mandatory for all EU countries … it seems, as echoed in other posts, that it really might be used more as a bureaucratic moneymaking enterprise.

Am I correct in assuming that presently a Brit (or American for that matter) wishing to fly for a German or French carrier need only to become fully licensed under the current German or French system to be eligible to fly. If true, I also assume from reading some posts that most locally administered licensing programs are much less time/money intensive. So … are some aspiring pilots in the UK merely waiting to see what eventually hashes out or are folks jumping on the JAA bandwagon now in anticipation of JAA actually becoming an EU standard?

Whatta’ bummer … my loftiest aviation ambition was to fly Dash-8s for Tyrolean around those beautiful mountains.

Snakum

mutt
15th Dec 2000, 02:36
I think that you will find that most "national" programs are finished. At this stage you must start or complete a JAR licence........

Is JAR a waste of money?????? Or does it actually enhance flight safety?

Mutt

PPRuNe Towers
15th Dec 2000, 03:12
The JAA group of nations extends well beyond the 15 EU countries - nearly twice as far.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

Skunkworks
15th Dec 2000, 03:41
Im also confused, can someone help?

So, if I have a national (jaa member state) licence and trade it in for a JAR-FCL licence - can I only fly in those countries that have implemented these new regulations?

If so, which countries do accept the JAR-FCL?

Is it up to the individual companies in each country to choose wheter to accept a JAR-FCL licence or not?

Can it actually be an advantage to keep your national licence, if you apply to a company in a state that has not switched to the new rules?

And before the grenades start flying - Yes, I have tried the search function, but didnt find much on this.

ZAGY
15th Dec 2000, 13:33
The JAR lic's are directly accepted only in the countries which have implemented the JAR FCL "rules".U will find out that this number is still a limited one,it's a transition(a long one)so best is to have both(national and JAR)valid.Check JAA web pages(the .nl ones).Happy now?

Bleater
15th Dec 2000, 14:01
Seeems to me that it may well be the same sheet of music when it is accepted by all countries taking part, but different tunes will be played off it. For instance the JAA medical is supposed to be common now bit I recently found that my JAA medical from the UK would still need to be cleared by the local authority in a second European country also issuing JAA medicals to be valid there. So I would still effectivly have to redo the medical. Air Wales found the same with Airworthiness when they brought the Dornier from Iceland. What seems to be happaning is a master Beaurocracy has been wheeled in but the local ones will not give up thier powers either. So there are two layers of red tape and no advantage for the users ( us !). Remember if it was really more efficient that would meen job losses and that will never happan in a CAA !!.

Skunkworks
15th Dec 2000, 15:17
To quote zagy: "best is to have both(national and JAR)valid"

I thought, once you trade your national licence in for a JAR-FCL, the national one is gone (and you can't get it back). Correct?

Bally Heck
15th Dec 2000, 15:18
At the risk of boring the pants of you all, the current members of the Joint Airworthiness Authorities are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and United Kingdom.

In theory, all these nations should accept any other JAA licence. This does not mean they will accept another national licence. Ie a UK ATPL is not a JAA licence and therefore not acceptable "as is" in say Sweden or Germany. When you come to renew it you will be given a JAA licence which is acceptable in those and presumably all JAA nations. New issue licences are JAA compliant.

Yawn

Skunkworks
15th Dec 2000, 18:29
Ok, but the question remains:

If I have a JAA (JAR-FCL) licence and want to work in another JAA country, will my licence automatically be accepted?

Maybe in theory it should, but what's the reality?