PDA

View Full Version : JAR ATPL to FAA ATP - what credits do you get?

HomerSimpson
15th Dec 2000, 03:34
Hi,

I will soon have a JAR CPL/IR with UK frozen ATPL exams and Performance A. I am looking to widen my possibilities for the job market by having a FAA licence aswell. However, does anyone know what I would need to do to get a FAA ATP, what would be needed in terms of written exams and flying time etc... Will I get any credits for the UK/JAR licence? And which school would be the best to go to for the training?

Thanks

Homer

------------------
Duff, Duff, that Wonderful stuff. Ummmmm Doughnuts

mutt
15th Dec 2000, 08:47
It sounds as if you only have enough hours for a FAA CPL not the required 1500 for the ATP. The FAA will recognize your hours but you will have to do the written exam. 800 (?) questions memorized from a book, the exam can be done at a computer testing center for $50.
Pick any school that you only have to pay by the hour and not enroll on their CPL course.

Mutt

Grandad Flyer
16th Dec 2000, 01:37
If you want a genuine FAA CPL that you can use (as opposed to just showing them your current licence and getting the FAA equivelent, which generally only entitles you to PPL privilges) then you need to do:
FAA medical
FAA CPL written
FAA CPL flight test

There are also specific breakdown for type of hours.

And if you want IR privileges I think you might need to do the FAA IR as well (written and flight test).

If you call 0500 895048 evenings, then they should know the answer.