PDA

View Full Version : Moncton Flight College in receivership

Citabria7eca
16th Feb 2011, 14:13
Moncton Flight College in receivership - News919 (http://www.news919.com/news/local/article/184389--moncton-flight-college-in-receivership)

robclay26
23rd Jul 2011, 16:01
Yep,
Have since been taken over by Canlink.
I was a former student for the school and lost alot of money owed back to me by Moncton Flight College. I am very pissed off the with handling of the situation by the recievers. Staff in the college in the finance department didn't give a damb either!

clunckdriver
23rd Jul 2011, 23:50
Robclay26, Why in Gods name would you give a flight school any cash up front? My wife and I owned flight Training Units for 26 years, the first briefing we gave all students is to keep their money and pay as you go, pointing out that the industry , {aviation that is} is about the most unstable buisines in the World, even in Canada twelve airlines have gone belly up in ten years, Ive lost count of how many flight schools have gone under. { We managed to stay solvent, paid every bill and sold to very good folks a few years back by the way.} When I wake up tomorow I will PM you with some sugestions to recover your money!

SAS-A321
24th Jul 2011, 10:27
Robclay26:

I don't know when you attended the flight school, but I was there from 09-10 and I had no problems with the school paying back the small amount of money that they owed me upon completion of the ICPC program.
We did not have to pay the full amount at one time, but only a smaller amount a couple of times during the course. If we did not pay in time we would be grounded, so they did not run the risk of students taking off with debts like it happened before.

clunckdriver
24th Jul 2011, 10:44
SAS A 321, As I said in my previous post we refused to use any payment system other than pay as you go, ie at the end of each flight, after twenty six years in the game we sold with $20,000 of bad student dept on the books, not too bad really given the ethics of the age we live in and a far better situation than us owing students, we passed through Moncton about a week ago and the MFC were only taking cash or cheques for ramp fees and fuel, didnt give us a lot of confidence in the operation, one staff member told us they couldnt get aproved for credit cards, not a great confidence builder for sure! We wont be back.

sgs233a
24th Jul 2011, 19:58
SAS-A321:
I do believe you may have just lived upstairs from me while we were both at MFC.

And, much as your experience there was positive, mine certainly was not - and that was the case with many other folks as well. In fact, they still owe me around $300 in sales taxes that should not have been charged.... Of course, they've gone bankrupt, so I'll never see that.

robclay26:
Good luck recovering what you can, I hope you have success.

Cheers,
Colin

robclay26
8th Aug 2011, 16:57
Hi everybody,
good to get some feedback.

I will start with some more details. I started in Jan 2010 and finished Dec 2010, we use to pay as we go/keep a small amout in our accounts as SAS-A321 says.
In August 2010 Moncton Flight College changed this to a phase scheme.
Where the course is broken in phases 1-12 you paid for 1 phase up front. This works fine in the sense that you have your flying prepaid for and the school cant ground you for lack of funds except where you need more flight time then the school schedule. I personal thought it was unfair the current students have to change their payment method, i feel the new system should have been introduced with the next new class.

I paid for my last phase up front (IFR) and did the simulator and 1 flight. I got word of new exam back home here in Europe for medical testing and rather than waste money on IFR and having to repeat it back in Europe for an ATPL, I quit and went home, passed the test and doing ATPL in europe.
I requedted my funds back from the college and have a paper copy of my account. was told it would be 2-3 weeks, and this was quoted to use from day 1. I had on 10th March the balance of a few thousand dollars removed from my account with out any body in the college or the recievers letting me know their intentions.

When the school went into recievership, i got no notice from the school, no notice form the recievers and was totally blanked. I had to enquire and fight with them bastards to get any information and the recievers would tell me nothing. they couldnt guarantee my money as for i am an unsecure creditor. I do undertand this policy with recievership.

What pisses me off with MFC is:

(1)The ****ers had no intentions of letting me know what happened the school

(2) They took my money with out informing me

(3) the recievers did not send any creditor claim forms untill i asked for them and then when i got the forms, the creditor meeting had already taken place.

(4) the new management Mike tilly offered me to come back and fly for a discount. What i asked for was to come back and fly to the value of the balance that was on my account!

(5) all the students in the college at the time had their accound balances transfered from MFC to the new MFC. Why was mine not transfered? they cant answer

(6) deputy CFI informs me it is school policy to close former student accounts. DO THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO KEEP THE MONEY??

(7) The accounts dept take 2-3 weeks to write a cheque? My little baby could write a cheque faster than that!!

Would anybody here have any advice for me? I am not famillar with Canadian law, but if this was Ireland, I would be able to take the bastards to the courts!
The recievers really ****** me over on this one.

I cant even find a Canadian Government regulator for this. Any help would be great

Michaelangeloo
27th Mar 2012, 04:48
Hello robclay26, I attended the flight college as well and lost out on thousands of dollars. I was in the diploma program and had my entire tuition paid and only got my PPL and night rating finished, all the ground schooling done and in good standing just was not able finish flying and now they want me to pay around another 22 thousand dollars to finish, and I will not get my diploma I paid for.

I am writing you this as I am planning on getting in touch with a lawyer here very soon to see what options I have here, if legal action is not recommended I will be possibly starting a petition, picketing and getting in touch with news groups. I would really like to hear back from you with exactly what you lost out on and if you might like to help me get something done to get our training back. I mean if you are in the same boat as me you're left with massive debt and no quantification with which to be paid well enough to pay off said debts.

Thanks