PDA

View Full Version : BA 8047 10 October 2000

Michael111
13th Dec 2000, 01:14
Good evening

I was a passenger on the above service from LGW to JER operated by CityFlyer using an ATR 72. The flight was very rough and even the cabin crew were being sick.

We made 3 attempts to approach Jersey but failed on each occasion. We were informed that we were diverting to Southampton but we eventually crash-landed in Bournemouth. We were in the air for over 2 hours and the whole thing was the most terrifying experience in my life.

Does anyone out there know of this incident and can throw any light on what might have happened?

Sand Spider
13th Dec 2000, 01:56
As far as I know the captain had intended to land back at Gatwick, but when he arrived in the Terminal Manoeuvering Area (TMA) he was informed that the airfield was closed. This was due (If memory serves me correctly) to the fact that an aircraft had dug its undercarriage into the mud as it taxied off. The runway at Gatwick was being resurfaced and a new Rapid Exit Taxiway (RET) was being constructed. There seems to have been some confusion but in any case the RET which the Britannia aircraft took was very badly lit also. I, myself, had reason to draw this to the attention of ATC that very day.

The captain of your flight then decided to divert (again) to Southhampton. Unfortunately, due to the aforementioned problem at LGW every other aircraft decided to divert there too. This meant that Southampton was full within a matter of minutes and refused to accept any more aircraft. By this time the aircraft, your aircraft, was running out of options and maybe even fuel. I really don't know what his fuel situation was but he did not declare an emergency so I imagine he still had enough. However, once committed to Bournemouth I doubt he would have been able to change his mind once more.

This was a very stressful time for the pilots and was an accumulation of circumstances which do not occur often, thankfully. Couple this with the weather as it was that day I think you can thank the captain for still being alive.

The incident is still being investigated and until such time as a preliminary report is published the captain concerned will not know if he will be returning to work.

When the report comes out you will be able to read it for yourself. I do not know if the pilots can be aportioned any blame. Personally, I would not have liked to have been in his shoes, or indeed in yours.

As a CFE employee all I can say is that I'm sorry that you had to go through this and I hope that you are O.K.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Common sense is the least common of all the senses.