View Full Version : Revalidation of CAA PPL in Australia

windy1
12th Feb 2011, 07:50
I am likely to be in Australia for long periods and want to maintain my UK PPL without flying home specially to revalidate with a UK Flight Training Organisation.

Does any one know if there are instructors/examiners in WA who are qualified to revalidate my CAA PPL by experience and BFR.

ISTR that in Florida, there were schools teaching for CAA PPL attainment who were CAA certified to do all necessary sign offs in USA

Whopity
12th Feb 2011, 08:43
Why not make sure you have 2 years worth before you go! Also within that 2 years your licence will have to be changed to an EASA licence! Additionally, if you want to exercise the privileges in Aus you will need a validation.

There is a JAA school (http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/) at Jandakot who should be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

BackPacker
12th Feb 2011, 17:17
Does any one know if there are instructors/examiners in WA who are qualified to revalidate my CAA PPL by experience and BFR.

If you want to revalidate by experience (12 hours experience, 1 hour instruction) I *think* (but am not entirely sure) you can send the whole lot (logbook, SRG\1119 form, payment form) to the CAA at Gatwick, where a resident examiner will check things over, sign the SEP revalidation page and mail the whole lot back. That would save you from having to find a JAA examiner in WA, but it'll increase the cost somewhat (p&p plus the CAA fee). Call the CAA to see if this is indeed possible. But to be honest, it would probably be easier to setup an agreement with a friendly JAA examiner before you go.

If you can't revalidate by experience you'll have to do a License Proficiency Check (LPC). It's not called a BFR in JAA-speak. And yes, you'll need a JAA examiner for that.

Note that within JAA land, a JAA examiner from any JAA country is good enough. It doesn't have to be a CAA examiner specifically. For completeleness sake, make a copy of the examiners license/authorization and send that the the CAA at Gatwick along with the rest of the lot. If it's a non-CAA JAA examiner they won't know his details.

(Unless you still have an old-style non-expiring UK PPL, in which case you'll probably need a UK examiner specifically.)