PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows - MIL Comms

RedBlondie
11th Feb 2011, 15:50
Not sure if anyone here has had ATC experience at Scampton/Waddington, but could anyone give me a rough guide on the RTF used by the Reds when conducting training flights from brakes on to brakes off? Been looking all over the shot but nothing. Any links/references available would be much appreciated.

Cheers

chevvron
11th Feb 2011, 16:39
It goes something like
'Red Arrows clear takeoff.'
next call is 'Red Arrows request land'
reply 'Red Arrows clear to land, surface wind is XXX at XX kts'
The bit in between they don't talk to ATC unless absolutely necessary eg an intruder in 'their' airspace, but they do talk to each other on their own private frequency.

RedBlondie
11th Feb 2011, 17:12
Thanks, but i gathered that much ...

Im looking for specific Military communications. Clearences, traffic information and the like.

MancLad993
11th Feb 2011, 17:38
I would assume Traffic info is passed in accordance with the MATS pt 1 or JSP equivalent relevant to what type of service they are getting? Sorry if that sounds stupid?!

I don't think there is a document on dealing with the Red Arrow's specifically. Each time they do a display a different display order (not sure if that is the right name) is issued for the airspace they will be in. And as you have trawled the Internet and not come up with anything it is not a public available document ie on a need to know basis. Why not try contacting the NOTAM office and see they can help?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Feb 2011, 17:50
RedBlondie... May we ask why you want the information? Your profile reveals nothing about you and this is the ATC forum of the professional pilots network.....

RedBlondie
11th Feb 2011, 18:10
Ive only just managed to create this account today, so updating the profile wasnt first on the agenda. Ill do that for you now ...

Is there a reason i need to be able to ask something out of curiosity? I am clueless when it comes to military and would like to know after a conversation i have had with a friend.

Thanks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Feb 2011, 18:17
It depends what you want to know. People might be touchy about discussing military communications because, as you must know, it's illegal to listen to the airbands.

The procedures for each flight vary tremendously so it's difficult to suggest what they might be. Movements by the team are notified in NOTAMs, which you should have ready access to as a PPL.

MarcK
12th Feb 2011, 02:59
as you must know, it's illegal to listen to the airbands.
Thankfully, in the US that is not true. Some military performance aircraft over here communicate in the clear in the 230 MHz band.

Chilli Monster
12th Feb 2011, 03:23
RedBlondie

Chevvron has it right - between take-off and calling downwind to land all that is said will be the leader calling the formation moves with the odd acknowledgement by team number when required. (And sometimes these only sound like grunts rather than numbers). The only ATC input will be if it safety critical (Infringement or other observed problem) which 99% of the time isn't required.

So - clearances, traffic info etc which you are asking about - non existent. RT isn't high on the list of priorities, so it's kept very minimal. They'll call for taxi - get given the wind, runway and QFE. At the hold they'll call ready and get line up. Once lined up and cleared for take-off the leader will brief any changes to the departure based on the wind - it effectively becomes his frequency from that point.

Lon More
12th Feb 2011, 10:33
updating the profile wasnt first on the agenda. Ill do that for you now ...

With Respect; you can put whatever you want in there, I refrained from entering Osama Bin Ladin's right hand man :suspect:

If you know where to look it is still possible to find scanners that cover the aviation UHF band.

I have heard the Reds R/T put on the PA at shows - it's rather boring, "Smoke on - go, " sort of thing

Self Loading Freight
13th Feb 2011, 15:54
Red Leader, Red 5, am I contrailing, over?
Red 5, Red Leader, negative, over.
Red Leader, Red 5, Roger. You're on fire. Over.

(I'll get me discone...)

Lon More
13th Feb 2011, 16:55
"red hawk pn the runway, you're on fire!"

Bang!! Bang!! Bang!! ..........