PDA

View Full Version : UK licence working in Canada

Jockflyer
8th Dec 2000, 03:01
Can anybody give me any info on flying in Canada with a UK ATPL (frozen). I've heard (secondhand) from a Canadian Airlines Captain that all I need do is a weekend ATPL course, and Bobs your uncle. Surely this can't be true?

Any info welcome

Dangrenade
8th Dec 2000, 04:55
Getting the visa is the problem, although they're twice as receptive as the US. Check the rotorhead section of Pprune I think I saw some Canada info there.

Luftwaffle
9th Dec 2000, 03:57
Assuming you already have the right to work in Canada, the weekend course sounds about right. The course isn't mandatory, but passing the two exams is. You can write them on any business day, or separate days for each exam, no appointment required. (They cost $110 each, which we all gripe about, but I'm sure you'll laugh at). They give you the results right away (multiple choice, computer marked). They check your logbook to make sure you have the required hours and sorts of hours (e.g. night PIC cross-country on a Tuesday in a red airplane). You *probably* also have to do an instrument ride (flight test) in a non-centreline thrust twin. Flight test costs about $150, plus whatever it costs you to rent the twin. I say probably because someone with a Canadian CPL going for an ATPL has to have done an instrument ride within the last 12 months, and I doubt they would accept one from another country.