PDA

View Full Version : Jaa ATPL uk

airyana
9th Feb 2011, 19:16
Dear all

I hold a JAR CPL, MEP & IR (ratings have expired).

I am am currently flying with an ICAO CPL with a B738 rating.

I have tried speaking to the CAA & was referred to LASORS.

I'm still lost, what should I do to issue my JAR ATPL.

bearing in mind two points, I don't need any specific rating on the ATPL,

A SEP or MEP will do.

I also need to issue the Licence before I lose credit for my ATPL theory.

I hope someone has seen a similar situation and can advice me on this.

Thanks.

bingofuel
9th Feb 2011, 21:02
LASORS section G 1.2

If memory serves me correctly-
Basically you need 1500 hours with certain criteria and pass the ATPL skill test.
Your theory credits remain as long as your IR has not expired by more than 7 years

mutt
10th Feb 2011, 02:33
LASORS states that 1.295 (also available from JAA.NL)(b) The ATPL(A) skill test may serve at the same time as a skill test for the issue of the licence and a proficiency check for the revalidation of the type rating for the aeroplane used in the test and may be combined with the skill test for the issue of a multi-pilot type rating.

Note that the word here is MAY, not MUST, in your case you obviously don't want any JAA rating apart from the ATP Skills test.

Have you approached any TRTO about just doing the skills test? Or are they all trying to get you to do a full recurrent?

Mutt

Whopity
10th Feb 2011, 08:56
I'm still lost, what should I do to issue my JAR ATPL.
Before you can have your ATPL issued you will need to pass an ATPL Skill Test as stated in LASORS G1.4G1.4 JAR-FCL ATPL(A) SKILL TEST
REQUIREMENTS
An applicant for a JAR-FCL ATPL(A) is required to:
• Pass the ATPL(A) Skill Test with an authorised
Type Rating Examiner.
• The applicant shall demonstrate the ability to
perform as Pilot-in-Command of an aeroplane type
certificated for a minimum of two pilots under IFR,
the procedures and manoeuvres required with a
degree of competency appropriate to the privileges
granted to the holder of an ATPL(A).
• The Skill Test may serve as a skill test for the
issue of the licence and a proficiency check for the
revalidation of the type rating for the aeroplane used
in the test, and may be combined with the skill test
for the issue of a multi-pilot type rating.As stated it MAY be combined with the Type Rating Test or it MAY be separate. Your choice!
bearing in mind two points, I don't need any specific rating on the ATPL, A SEP or MEP will do. Unfortunately you can only open an ATPL on the basis of a MP Type rating so SEP or MEP will not do.

If however you simply want to have your CPL/IR reissued (after 5 years), you only need a valid JAA medical certificate and a class or type rating that has not expired by more than 5 years. SEP or MEP will do for this purpose.
I also need to issue the Licence before I lose credit for my ATPL theory. In order to preserve your ATPL credits you need a valid JAA licence and an IR that has not expired by more than 7 years. For this puropse, LASORS E1 states:Renewal of an IR(A)
The requirements to renew an IR(A) are based on the
period of time elapsed since the rating expired i.e.
calculated from the date of expiry of the most recent IR(A)
proficiency check entered in the licence.

Where less than 7 years have elapsed since the
IR(A) expired but IR privileges have been exercised since
in another category of aircraft (i.e. UK/JAR IR(H)) or
under the privileges of an ICAO licence (Aeroplanes and
Helicopters) or under a military IR qualification (fixed-wing
or rotary), the renewal requirements for the IR(A) will
be based on the expiry of that other IR. If more than 7
years have elapsed since the IR(A) expired, no credit will
be given for any other IR rating or qualification, and the
terms set out below for more than 7 years since expiry
shall apply. Thus your ICAO B738 IR will keep things running as long as you also have a valid JAA CPL.

airyana
10th Feb 2011, 12:40
Thank you all so much for taking the time to put things into perspective for me.
can anyone recommend a TRTO preferably in London ?

I've already contacted several ones via email and I'm waiting for a reply, but since the question in my email includes an explanation of the whole situation mentioned here, I still haven't heard from any of them, so I guess I need to know exactly what I am going to do and approach them again asking for something more specific.

Once again thank you for taking the time to clarify this, I really appreciate it.

mutt
10th Feb 2011, 18:58
Whopity, is there anything stopping him from hiring a simulator and a freelance TRE to conduct the skills test? Does any regulation state that you must be qualified in the aircraft or receive a qualification to fly that aircraft?

Mutt

Whopity
11th Feb 2011, 11:00
No that is quite acceptable provided he already holds an ICAO type rating on the same type i.e. the B738. If not, he would be required to complete a type rating course.

airyana
11th Feb 2011, 12:07
So the fact that the type rating on the ICAO Licence wasn't granted from a JAA approved TRTO makes no difference ?

Whopity
11th Feb 2011, 14:13
Effectively you would be meeting the requirements to convert an ICAO rating; as you already hold a JAA licence, the the Skill Test becomes the means of adding it to the JAA licence. Quite a few Cathay pilots have added ratings to UK issued licences this way. You will need the CAA's agreement before you do it.

airyana
11th Feb 2011, 14:51
Cheers Whopity