PDA

View Full Version : Whatīs that "thing" at LHR?

DVR6K
17th Mar 2002, 20:21
Hiya,. .. .Whatīs that monstrosity at Heathrow that I always notice when Iīm flying in and out? Itīs a big green 747 with a tail mounted engine or something. What does it do? Just there for a laugh?. .. .Seeing that picture on the thread about ferrying an engine on a 747 reminded me about it! Any clues?. .. .Ta

The Nr Fairy
17th Mar 2002, 20:49
Is that the static thing at the eastern end of the field, between the runways, looks a bit scorched, near the sign which says "Fire Training Area" ?. .. .If so, it's for the fireys to play with - the real thing is a tad too valuable to keep setting on fire.

Unwell_Raptor
17th Mar 2002, 21:06
Yes, it's a firemen's practice machine. I am informed that it is kitted out with nozzles and pipes to simulate all sorts of fires. But it isn't made of aluminium, because it needs to last for a while.

trustno1
18th Mar 2002, 15:53
You would have thought that given the location of the fire station at LHR they might have tried to locate the jolly green giant nearer to it. Just a thought.

Wycombe
18th Mar 2002, 16:15
yes, but then they wouldn't be able to test their response time to the the other end of the airfield!

ATCO Two
18th Mar 2002, 17:35
Trustno 1,. .. .There are two fire stations at Heathrow. The substation is located adjacent to the Golf stands.