PDA

View Full Version : Air force pilots

sheetraj
6th Dec 2000, 13:35
Why are the commercial pilots not taken into the air forco ? where as the airforce pilots are taken into the Commercial flying

Evil Bastard
6th Dec 2000, 17:22
We can spell for a start!

Dan Winterland
7th Dec 2000, 00:47
I can't spell acshully.

But a couple of civvie pilots have joined the RAF in the past. They did have to do through flying training from square 1 though. The old arguement was that everyone going through training has to have the potential for fast jet. However, now that rearcrew crossovers ahve been taken through training to go back to their original type, I wouldn't be suprised to see a change in this policy in future. In fact, with the replacement for the VC10 and the Tristar planned to be a civilian owned and part operated aircraft, there will almost certainly be some technically (I say that beacause they may be wearing uniforms and called reserve officers) civilian pilots flying this replacement.

Flintstone
7th Dec 2000, 03:11
Hey EB!!

I reckon Dan just proved you wrong ;)

Evil Bastard
7th Dec 2000, 22:01
Yeah, but he's only a truckie - insufficient aptitude to fly a real aircraft!

I feel the need, the need for speed

Unwell_Raptor
7th Dec 2000, 23:34
Well, Evil B., you chose a good username.

Have a look at the profile of the object of your scorn - how well do you spell the Indian languages?

It lends a sour taste to this BB when posters (with fewer than ten postings in this case!) feel the need to be snide and unpleasant.

If you can't be constructive, at least be polite.

Dan Winterland
8th Dec 2000, 00:35
Akchully Mr Evil, my aircraft has a galley (and often someone to cook my lunch and serve me with it), toilets, soft seats, no requirement to wear immersion suits and flys me in great comfort between 5 star hotels. And the hours I do in it look good on my CV. So good in fact, they helped me get a good job flying what I would call a 'real aircraft' when I leave next year.

Maybe not the aptitude to fly a 'real aircraft', but the common sense to fly a good one!!!!

Your turn.

(Don't worry UR - it's just a bit of trucky vs pointy chaps banter. Quite friendly really!)

Edited for witty reposts - and not spelling!

[This message has been edited by Dan Winterland (edited 07 December 2000).]

fobotcso
8th Dec 2000, 02:31
Evil B, now it's your turn. What are you going to say to us, and the object of your scorn, that will show that RAF pilots are officers and gentlemen whether they are truckie pilots or fast jet pilots?

scroggs
8th Dec 2000, 04:36
Sheetraj,
to answer your question, which the others seem to have forgotten to do, ther is actually no reason why a commercial pilot should not join an air force (or army or navy). The main reason why very few do is that they are too old. To take the Royal Air Force as an example (I'm sure the same is true in most countries), the maximum age to join as a pilot is 23 1/2 years old. That's pretty young, and ensures that the military get a fit, enthusiastic individual who is likely to have few commitments and fewer responsibilities - in other words, he'll take the risks to get the fun! Most commercial pilots a) are over that age by the time they're qualified and b) are far too sensible to want to risk their lives in the military!
I'm not trying to justify the case, just state the facts as I see them. Hope this helps!

Evil Bastard
8th Dec 2000, 15:42
Dan & Fobotcso,

I'm sure Truckies are the bigger gentlemen, due to all those nice meals cooked up by the loadies (or do you get proper trolley dollies?) in that nice galley down the back.

However, I'm not knocking what you do for a living, it sure beats being uncomfortable for 8 hrs on a transit in a rubber suit only to stay in a s***h*** (that's not a 6 star hotel!)at the other end

In fact - I might even join you sometime (I hear the great sir Wooley Pulley might be needing a few pilots in the next couple of years)

Keep on Trucking!

fobotcso
8th Dec 2000, 20:55
Me a truckie! ME! ME!

I'll have you know I too have climbed sunward and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds - and done all that stuff. And I've pulled a bit of pitch as well.

But trucki-ing! Corf...

Well, I suppose I might admit to doing a bit - but not a lot mind. Only just a little bit, honest.

I am sooo offended. Hurrrumph!

Edited for the hell of it.

[This message has been edited by fobotcso (edited 08 December 2000).]

Tonkenna
8th Dec 2000, 20:58
Dan, things seem to be going well for you. What our pointy friends forget is just how useful all that 4 jet time is.

Now, wasn't there a thread about CVs not so long ago. As the nice man with the beard needs 250 more pilots I feel the need to put pen to paper :)

Off for a pint at happy hour,

Tonks.

-----------------------
Who taught you that Bloggs? Me!, oh.