PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones on aircraft

X-QUORK
5th Dec 2000, 17:44
I am a radio coverage planner for a well known UK mobile (cellphone)operator.

Which systems on a standard passenger carrying aircraft would be affected by mobile phones ?

Most mobiles operate on frequencies in the 900 and 1800 Mhz regions, with a maximum power output of 2 Watts.

My reason for asking is that I've heard of a future system that will be incorporated into aircraft to enable the use of mobiles at all times, obviously via a satellite link, but still using GSM specs within the airframe.

Any thoughts or comments gratefully acknowledged.

[This message has been edited by X-QUORK (edited 05 December 2000).]

X-QUORK
7th Dec 2000, 17:14
Just raising the profile of this thread as I've recently tried to direct Ppruners to it from the Chinook thread in the military pilots section.

X-QUORK
14th Dec 2000, 17:05
And again, this time (fingers crossed) some techies might reply.....

[This message has been edited by X-QUORK (edited 15 December 2000).]

DB6
15th Dec 2000, 05:43
Didn't do anything the other day in the C152 I was flying. Mind you I couldn't hear a bloody thing when I answered it.
Cheers DB6
PS For a more constructive answer try posting on the Technical forum.

X-QUORK
15th Dec 2000, 12:13
DB6

Thanks, I've mentioned it on the Tech Log and have had a couple of replies. It seems to be a subject that's been covered in the past - people are bored of it.

Fair enough !

Few Cloudy
15th Dec 2000, 13:55
X-Quork,

An integrated aircraft phone system will use its own dedicated external antenna - usually via sattelite.

This is a big difference from internally radiating cellphones. These can (and have done) affect the most differing sysytems from comm & nav - radio based systems, to electrically/electronically controlled systems on board - from compass to hydraulic and air conditioning systems.

Any system having a cable within oscillation range of any other passenger held electronic device may be susceptible. It depends on the screening of the hand held device and of the aircraft cabling.

Suggest NASA and the CAA as a source of data.

ratbag
16th Dec 2000, 14:31
I was always a bit sceptical of the fuss made about mobile phones on aircraft.

One day, in the Canadair Regional Jet, we had to divert and having landed, I tried to call ops on the mobile phone.

I have never seen so many cautions appear on the Eicas in such a small time.

The second I stopped trying to call, they all went away.

I'm not so sceptical now...

twistedenginestarter
18th Dec 2000, 19:57
I asked One2One what their limitation is and they said they hadn't got one. As far as they are concerned you can use them as high and fast as you like. I suppose that means try to rather than succeed. Their position is the only rules are those set by the aircraft operators.

BJBATMAN
21st Dec 2000, 03:43
I have always heard that it was the FCC that didn't want you to use your phone in the plane because you tie up to many towers at a time.