PDA

View Full Version : Regional Jet- Italy

swashnob
27th Nov 2000, 23:36
Any one know anything about the new BA Franchise with RJ's/146's working out of Rome and whether they are a decent outfit to work with.

Any P&C and lifestyle issues would be very much appreciated.

Tower
28th Nov 2000, 00:32
The company is National Jet Italy and the man running it is Australian. At the mo he has two 146-300's operating on British World's AOC. Fleet manager is Capt. B Wilson.

In the next few weeks British World will be sending down two 737-300's to operate for the franchise during the winter. They are painted in the new BA paint scheme and will be operating a route between Milan and Rome and also Rome and Palermo.

Rumour has it that they will also be working in Italy again next winter.

FooFighter
28th Nov 2000, 03:54
The company was setup by National Jet System of Australia (hence the name National Jets Italia) as a BA franchise. Apparently they ran into AOC/OL problems with the Italian authorites (don't ask me what, I'm not airline staff). BWL then stepped in with an AOC, and the first 2 of 5 ex-Uni Air BAe 146-300s in sparkly BA paint were delivered. A 3rd has turned up, and the 1st B733 has also gone over, next one due in a few days I think.

Foo
===

NTL
28th Nov 2000, 14:29
Swashnob, I suggest you contact the Oz pprune forum. Ask them what they think about the man running the show. Ask how many times he has tried to start in Italy, Indonesia or elsewhere and what has happened to the staff when things have not taken off. Ask them what their impression is of his managerial style and how he treats his staff. Is he a man you can love or love to hate.Let us all know!!!

tarjet fixated
29th Nov 2000, 01:39
As far as i know the guys in NJI are pretty happy.

NTL
29th Nov 2000, 07:10
Contact the Australian BB and ask the people who work for National Jets Systems what they think.

Going Boeing
29th Nov 2000, 14:55
I don't know much about his managerial style, however, Wa**en has excellent employee selection criteria and always ends up with attractive cabin crew. :)

tarjet fixated
29th Nov 2000, 17:47
Don't know about Australia but here in Italy they seem to be growing big, the latest is that Air Sicilia is close to bankrupcy and NJI definately has a part in this since they are directly competing with them.
Moreover , as i said above, the people there are pretty happy with the company and they also seem to have good backing (BA and BAe just to mention some).

NTL
30th Nov 2000, 23:05
I'll say no more but be warned and do you're homework. Ask those that have been there. Why is the General Manager involved with cabin crew selection? Why does National Jet in Oz have only one token male cabin crew? Again if your are thinking of joining beware and if you are already there I hope all goes well for you.

Smoketoomuch
30th Nov 2000, 23:43
On a related note; Can anyone give a brief opinion on the RJ/146? I've heard various comments ranging from 'Wonderful, lovely flight-deck' to 'That bloody plane!'

whisperbrick
1st Dec 2000, 00:16
The 146 is a delight. Easy,slow with no major vices.Very easy to land,unless its light when it really doesn't want to come down

Pax_1A
1st Dec 2000, 02:20
FooFighter. I think you may find that despite the name similarities and the individuals setting it up, there is very little (if any) relationship between NJI and NJS(aus). Particularly since NJS has since been sold to a UK mob (FRA).

corporate31
1st Dec 2000, 09:04
NTL

Reading you post I get the impression that you don't think much of W****n S****ur.

Well let me give you some feedback on this individual.

I currently work for NJS in AUS and yes, he has always had a...well let's say interesting way of employing staff, however he built a company from nothing into something that employs about 1000 people and operates in excess of 50 aircraft.

NJS have a major contract with Qantas, operating BAe 146, (15) on behalf of their regional carrier, Airlink . We also operate a multi million dollar surveillance contract for the Australia Government and have numerous mining and freight contracts throughout the country.

There are always people that love to whinge about his methods / business practices and the company he created, however 99.9% of all these people came and knocked on his door for a job not the other way around.

If life at NJS is so bad for these people then LEAVE! (Nah - easier to complain).

Let's see half the whinges put together an operation like W***en did.

lostinBRU
2nd Dec 2000, 05:28
Not been there myself , but know a man who has. So this info is SECOND HAND!!!!
If you're a brit going out there expecting to return home for days off, then forget it. Brit FTL means not really feasible to travel (at own expense) in the time off given. If you are prepared to go and live there , take time off there, then fill yer boots. However, captain I spoke to talked of having to use his own credit card to support Hotac down route!!!! Late wages in the bank and local cabin crew paid offshore does not engender huge confidence. Apparantly, NI contributions (the stamp) literally is a stamp in a book down there, and non payment whilst employed is heavy ju-ju. It seems the last thing these girls need is a knock on the door from the local DHSS man who wants to inspect their stamp collection (honest!),and they are sh@**ing themselves. But they are good looking.....

The moral seems to be ...go with your eyes open.....enjoy....

Banditflyer
2nd Dec 2000, 22:23
All very interesting opinions...
But can anybody just give us the facts in regard to pay scales,accomodation and allowances ect. What currency are the pilots paid in and where.
As for all the other issues mentioned...time will tell. I hope it goes from strength to strength and plenty more jobs are created for all of those that don't yet have a jet job.

swashnob
3rd Dec 2000, 01:28
Yeah......... that was the original question?