PDA

View Full Version : Typical Budget for IR Revalidation

Desert Strip Basher
6th Feb 2011, 14:01
I let my IR lapse 2 years ago and have since only flown SE VFR. What would be a typical all inclusive budget to revalidate? Cheers.

'India-Mike
6th Feb 2011, 14:27
Single or multi? I renewed in November. Took 4 1 hr sim sessions, 90 min in aeroplane (PA34) with instructor then 1h 45 with examiner. Including fee the whole lot cost £1620. Could've maybe got away with 1 or 2 hr sim time really, reducing the cost to £1380.

Desert Strip Basher
6th Feb 2011, 16:16
Thanks for that and private messages. It would be multi and that's about as I'd expected, so not far off a typical renewal cost (when using a/c rather than sim), I guess just with a little more training if required.

alphaadrian
6th Feb 2011, 20:36
Not wishing to seem "pedantic" but it is a RENEWAL you require as opposed to a revalidation (since your IR has expired). And as far as I understand a renewal MUST be completed on an A/C rather than a sim. Im sure you know this already but just clarification for anyone else reading the post. Good luck.

Alph:ok:

Desert Strip Basher
7th Feb 2011, 09:49
Yes - sorry - got my terminology about face. It's the renewal I'm interested in

Desert Strip Basher
7th Feb 2011, 21:41
Once I've renewed, as the MEPL is valid for 24 months then it's a case of revalidating the IR every other year in the sim - some other threads seem to state that the MEP rating is only valid for 12 months and revalidating the IR in the sim can leave you without MEPL priviledges. As I understand it, it's only the IR with a 12 month validity. Also can't find much difference between revalidating (ie keeping an IR current) and renewing an IR that has lapsed by less than 5 years (other than expected need for more training). Any views on the above appreciated if I've misinterpreted anything. Thanks.

Desert Strip Basher
8th Feb 2011, 16:39
My mistake - you're right. I got that 24 month info from Bonus Aviations website:

Licence Revalidations - Courses Bonus Aviation Limited (http://www.bonusaviation.co.uk/courses_revalidations.html)

In summary - for an IR revalidation in a sim I'm reckoning ~£600 all inc
For an IR/MEP revalidation ~£750-1200 dependent on where you go
For an IR/MEP renewal £1500 (though understand some achieve cheaper depending on ability and how long they've been out of the loop)

madlandrover
10th Feb 2011, 19:01
Also can't find much difference between revalidating (ie keeping an IR current) and renewing an IR that has lapsed by less than 5 years (other than expected need for more training). Any views on the above appreciated if I've misinterpreted anything. Thanks.

Effectively no difference, the test contains the same elements whether for renewal or revalidation. Assuming you're within 5 years of expiry of course!

The main difference in reval/renewal tests would be for the MEP(L) rating, where a revalidation test would not have to include a route sector if you had flown 10 route sectors during the validity of the rating. CAA CFE guidance is to combine the IR and MEP renewal/reval if possible anyway, since certain elements are duplicated and therefore would not have to be done twice in the same test.