PDA

View Full Version : LFBZ Biarritz

Tolka
5th Feb 2011, 12:53
Has anyone any information about flying a SEP IFR into LFBZ (Biarritz). Are they GA friendly. What about compulsory handling, avgas availability, landing/parking fees etc.

Tolka

A and C
5th Feb 2011, 15:08
Used the place about three years back with no problems

Jan Olieslagers
5th Feb 2011, 16:33
Have you consulted Navigeo - Consultation du terrain LFBZ - Biarritz Bayonne Anglet (http://navigeo.org/lfbz) ? Some interesting remarks, like "landing tax includes 24 hrs parking" , "no parking at the aeroclub (south side) due security" "parking saturated in summer and during bank holiday weekends"

And the SIA document shows

Use of the general aviation apron
Parking area restricted: parking subject to mandatory
PPR with a 48 HR notice to the General Aviation Service.

E-mail : [email protected] FAX : 05 59 43 83 50.

Access to the PRKG without any PPR could be refused.

I also saw 100LL and Jet A1 available, with major credit cards accepted. No mention of handling agents, though, at a quick glance.

Floppy Link
5th Feb 2011, 20:19
Are you a member of PPL/IR ?
Lots of support and answers there.

I'm considering joining but haven't yet...:=

IO540
5th Feb 2011, 21:11
I have been to LFBZ a number of times. It was a nice laid back place, with loads of parking. Only issue was that a refuel could take 1-2 hrs if the fuel man was doing some airliner first, or was having a siesta. The costs (last time was in 2004) were very low - around 10 euros for everything. I hear it is much more expensive now and needs PPR - evidently run by UK trained management :ugh:

San Sebastian was a much nicer city to visit but the airport can no longer accept non-Schengen (or maybe non-Spanish) traffic, due to some issue with lazy policemen who won't turn up for work.

dublinpilot
6th Feb 2011, 12:56
[...]

Deleted...misread Biarritz for Bordeaux :O :O

n5296s
7th Feb 2011, 02:35
I've flown there with the flying club so l can't comment as a visiting pilot, but it seems a friendly enough place. I've never seen the ramp anywhere close to full. It's true that there's only one fuel guy and airliners have absolute priority, so you can have a long wait. There's no parallel taxiway so you back-taxi out on the runway, as it has got busier in the last few years that can make things more interesting.

It's very close to the town - the only case I know where the airport is closer to the town than the railway station. There's a good bus service from the public terminal, and taxis.

denhamflyer
7th Feb 2011, 15:13
San Sebastian was a much nicer city to visit but the airport can no longer accept non-Schengen (or maybe non-Spanish) traffic, due to some issue with lazy policemen who won't turn up for work.

Went into San Sebastian late last year - you are essentially correct it is Non-Schengen because as you put it 'the wrong kind of policeman turns up'.

However any pitstop in France will be ok. I missed the subtlety of this AIP info on this and had to fly via La Rochelle on my way out. Rather than direct.

WRT to Biarritz all I can say is that they can be VERY busy and that whilst I was there a Jet was pleading with them to stay longer and in no uncertain terms he was told to take off and comeback later for his passengers. (Initially politely but I suspect he was taking the p. - the passengers had gone to 'long lunch'). They had other taffic due in imminently and they politely pointed out that if he was that traffic and had booked a slot he would not be happy to find someone else parked there.

So I would recommend PPR. Things have probably got busier since San.Seb. has changed. I get the impression they are GA friendly and intend to go there myself soon.

DF

jjag
8th Feb 2011, 17:33
Hi did the trip in on a regular basis as a stop off from UK to Alicante and they are ok but PPR is essential the comment about fuel is spot on and it is a 500 meter walk for your passengers back to the main building (toilet) if they leave you to wait for the fuel.

I did the trip in a 182 and Columbia 400 and every time i arrived IFR they gave me a decent that wasn't comfortable to pick up the ILS.

On a couple of occasions they had no fuel, worth a call if that is your only reason for stoping as it was mine.

nice place to stop and the trip down the french coast is really interesting

mikesworld
9th Feb 2011, 14:06
Was there the year before last but as others have said the airlines take priority and you could be in for a long wait if you clash were their needs

Parked for 4 days and it cost me 200 Euros.

if you go there in the peak summer months PPR a couple of weeks before or you wont be able to park.

Other than that, its a great place and the towns really nice as well.

Mike