PDA

View Full Version : Other dedicated ATC Forum

ASD
5th Feb 2011, 06:17
Firstly I would like to point out that I am not aware if posts like this are allowed on pprune, if not, I apologise and please ask mods to remove but I hope all is in order... This is not my first post here on pprune...

I have created a dedicated Air Traffic Control Forum at Air Traffic Control Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.atcforums.com) which is a dedicated discussion board for ATC's around the world.

I would value your opinion if you could let me know what you think of the site and welcome you to join up.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Feb 2011, 07:04
I'd like to know a bit more about you, but for me I think Pprune is enough.

ASD
5th Feb 2011, 07:10
Hi Heathrow Director

I studied IT for 3 years and worked as a software developer for a year but my passion was always aviation, moved into air traffic control and have loved it ever since.

I worked in South Africa for 6 years as a Tower and Approach Controller and now in the UAE doing the same...

As I enjoy creating websites, I decided to create the dedicated forum...

PPrune will always be the leader in aviation forums but I figured it would be nice to have something that ONLY dealt with ATC.

niknak
5th Feb 2011, 18:22
I suppose that's more or less how Danny started out with Pprune and now it's a very succesful venture owned by someone else with a large number of advertisers.

It largely depends on how you intend to fund the site and how hard you work to keep it going but you've got your work cut out.

Best of luck.

ASD
5th Feb 2011, 18:42
Thanks NikNak

I started a flight simulator forum a few years back which has grown from strength to strength (I wont mention the name here) so I know how difficult it is to build up an online community...

It takes time to build up but I am certain that we have enough past, present and future ATC's around the globe to warrant our own dedicated ATC community.

PhiltheReaper
7th Feb 2011, 17:55
Well I'm a keen enough wannabe ATC, with enough questions to populate the emptiest of forums! So I'll give your forums a try ;)

Phil

elandel
7th Feb 2011, 18:28
We call them ATCOs in the UK

Spitoon
7th Feb 2011, 18:55
Not that it's relevant to the thread but I call them a variety of things as the mood takes me and don't get too hung up about titles and stuff like that.

FWIW, I seem to recall that in the UK the CAA took to calling them air traffic controller about 10 years ago - maybe something to do with the role no longer being equivalent to a civil service officer grade in NATS. And then the EU came along with some rules which were referred to as the ATCO Directive....

Does it really matter? :rolleyes:

willadvise
8th Feb 2011, 01:20
Just had a quick look. Saw that the admin had chosen "Pushing Tin" as their user name. :ugh: No point returning.

Lon More
8th Feb 2011, 08:27
We call them ATCOs in the UK
There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Elandel.

In Germany they're called Fluglotsen - what difference does it make?

Aethelwulf
8th Feb 2011, 12:49
Willadvise: Why would that be a bad thing?

LEGAL TENDER
8th Feb 2011, 19:55
Someone once attempted a similar venture with this website

The ATC Forum • Index page (http://www.atcforum.co.uk/)

Didn't quite live up to the expectations ;)

Lon More
8th Feb 2011, 20:26
Didn't quite live up to the expectations
Discussion for all UK Air Traffic Control staff
What do you expect when 99.9% of the people who might join in are directly made to feel unwanted?

Roffa
9th Feb 2011, 08:00
Given the most recent posts by the apparent moderator, I think everyone is unwanted!

ASD
16th Feb 2013, 19:18
Thanks to all who signed up, 567 members and growing although the forums are still very quiet.

malakajin
16th Feb 2013, 20:53
Add a recruitement & schemes category , so people can discuss ANSP specific matters and you have my vote :P

chevvron
18th Feb 2013, 01:12
There used to be an ATC dedicated forum called HugeDomains.com - Atcea.com is for Sale (Atcea) (http://www.atcea.com)

ZOOKER
19th Feb 2013, 20:43
ASD,
not sure about your choice of colours. The site is quite hard to read. Grey, grey/green, pale blue and white, do not work well together.

malakajin
20th Feb 2013, 22:34
I'm with ZOOKER on that one

Kimmikins
22nd Feb 2013, 17:19
Totally dead, no input from anyone, especially moderator/team; new members section bit pointless if nobody's replying to anything!

ASD
22nd Feb 2013, 21:01
Definitely not dead and certainly alot of input from the moderator!

Quiet - yes, for sure and thats the reason we need more people to join. Its not easy getting a new forum up and running. If people see its quiet (not dead) they dont sign up cause its too quiet, yet if people do join and do start topics, more will eventually join.

I know how it works, I have another flight simulator forum which now has over 14000 members. That too started off quiet (not dead) but steadily grew. It takes time.

I still believe there is a place on the internet for a dedicated ATC forum and I will continue to try my best in order to make it work. Thank you for those who have signed up and even more to those who are participating.