PDA

View Full Version : ETOPS Required Fuel

74drvr400
4th Feb 2011, 21:50
I am trying to find the official reference for ETOPS required fuel that states something like.....after holding for 15 minutes at 1500 feet conduct an instrument approach to a missed approach then visual circuit to a visual approach and landing.

AC 120-42B states:

303. ETOPS FLIGHT OPERATIONS REQUIREMENTS subparagraph (6)(a)(2)
Upon reaching the alternate, hold at 1,500 ft above field elevation for 15 minutes and then conduct an instrument approach and land.

And FAR 121.646(b)(2) states:

Fuel to account for holding, approach, and landing. In addition to the fuel required by paragraph (b)(1) of this section, the airplane must carry fuel sufficient to hold at 1500 feet above field elevation for 15 minutes upon reaching an ETOPS Alternate Airport and then conduct an instrument approach and land.

I have seen non-official documentation that states that the missed approach and second approach is included. Does anyone know where this is listed? Is this an ICAO/JAR/EUOPS requirement?

Thanks in advance.

172_driver
4th Feb 2011, 22:39
EU-OPS calls it additional fuel

The minimum additional fuel, which shall permit:

(a) the aeroplane to descend as necessary and proceed to an adequate alternate aerodrome in the event of engine failure or loss of pressurisation, whichever requires the greater amount of fuel based on the assumption that such a failure occurs at the most critical point along the route, and

(i) hold there for 15 minutes at 1 500 ft (450 m) above aerodrome elevation in standard conditions; and

(ii) make an approach and landing

Additional fuel is only required when the normal fuel requirement, trip+contingency+alternate+final reserve, does not allow diversion and 15 min holding at adequate aerodrome

Reference: EU-OPS 1.255 Appendix 1

EU-OPS: http://transportstyrelsen.se/Global/Regler/Luftfart/EU-OPS%20Amd%202%20859-2008%20EN%20080820_(OJ%20080920).pdf?epslanguage=sv

mutt
5th Feb 2011, 07:52
Look at the Boeing ETOPS guide..... the 2nd visual circuit is mentioned, we didn't like the idea, so we set the minimum based on two instrument approaches.