PDA

View Full Version : From RAF Controller to Civilian Controller - Help!

MummyG
4th Feb 2011, 21:40
Hi All,

Any one got any great advice regarding gaining my civilian ATC Licences? Which college should i use? Cwmbran or ASTAC?

I know the financial cost, time scales etc...

Many thanks
x

trafficnotsighted
4th Feb 2011, 22:47
Try get into NATS first and if thats not possible its swing and roundabouts between the two colleges. You will find opinions divided based on personal experiences.
Think long and hard before you come outside (if you have a choice)as i understand there are very few, if any ATCO jobs out there right now. I heard a couple of units were reducing staffing as airport opening hours have been reduced .

SS10
5th Feb 2011, 22:37
Mummyg

Be warned, the Market is absolutely dire at the moment.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing though.

coolbeans
6th Feb 2011, 08:59
I'd 100% recommend Cwmbran based On my experience of doing a couple of courses there.

As other people have said though the job Market is poo at the moment :(

ericthered7
6th Feb 2011, 08:59
Pm me with you're email address, I left in 2010 and went through the process and will happily give you advise if required.

MummyG
7th Feb 2011, 20:19
Thanks All,

Unfortunatley, i have no choice about leaving as i am made redundant and out by Oct 2011. For anyone who knows the system in the RAF, i am an AVO and due to the base closures i have no choice in the decision, except to be jobless! Never though it would happen!!

As for NATS, this is not an option as i have 3 kids under 4! Following their training programme would just be impossible!

If anyone else has any more information i would greatly appreciate it, as its a huge finincial gamble!!

:-)

MancLad993
7th Feb 2011, 22:15
I have 3 kids similar age, I coped on NATS training programme (2008 wages) I know I'm not the only one who has done it, some others have done it even with mortgages!

I did hear somewhere in the UAE were looking for controllers and were accepting just your blue book, don't quote me though.

Good luck!

45 before POL
8th Feb 2011, 22:27
Sorry to hear about the redundancy.
There are not many jobs out there at the moment, and some are cutting staff reducing hours. One thing you could try is if you are prepared to fund your way through your ADI/ADV and maybe APC? write to as many SATCOs in the UK as possible explaining this.You never know ...one or two might come back with an offer on this basis as it saves them a lot in training as the risk is borne by yourself...remember whilst you do this you will have no income.
The courses are similar in length with Nats, and all follow the same requirements of the CAA(SRG) so have a look.I'm not out to sell it just trying to highlight pros+ cons and whether it is a complete dismissal.Downside ..you do not choose what you are streamed for.of course most go area but its 12 months. ADV/I and APC are only a few months less + if you go tower with nats you don't necessarily do approach.(depends on unit posted to) .Also you could be sent straight on an APC couse and go straight to Swanwick. Upside a salary although not great while training. 11k+allowance of about 3k tax free for accomodation.
None of the courses, whether ASTAC, Cwmbran or Nats are easy with kids....but are "do-able" ... Many have done it before you.
I wish you good luck with what lies ahead.

niknak
9th Feb 2011, 20:12
As daft as it may sound, if you must fund your own course, pay for the APS and when you are established at whichever college you may pick, do as 45Pol suggests - write to and get in touch with every GMATS at every airport you want to work at as well as those you'd prefer not to.

In the present climate, and for the forseeable future, having the APS rating alone is a much more marketable job commodity than just the ADI.
Get the APS validated and thereafter the employer will send you on the ADI.

Check your PMs.

Grabbers
30th Jun 2011, 20:00
Hi dudes and dudessess,

Just a quick question to those 'in the know'. What are the mid-term prospects for ATCO's over in 'civvie street'? I hear a lot about airlines recruiting pilots and was wondering if there was a commensurate increase in ATCO recruitment. I am approaching my 'pension point' and feel the need to seek out pastures new.

I'm aware no-one can predict the future and any answers received will not result in the individual supplying them being sued should I find myself yelling 'Bigger Shoe?' in 18 months time.

Rgds

Grabbers :eek: